problem feeder - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
feedersbreeders
problem feeder

I have a ball python that is either is scared of rats or just wont eat them i put them in his cage the dead ones he wont touch live ones he runs from mice he will eat like no tomorrow what can i do?

Old 01-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
ms_terese
How old/large is this bp? How long have you had it?

A first step would be to attempt to scent the rat. Assuming you're working with pre-killed, rub a mouse all over the rat before putting it in with the bp.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
feedersbreeders
NO its alive rat he wont touch anything dead i have had him for 4 months im trying to get him to eat the dead ones but he just got over being sick with a Ri infection so im feeding him what he will eat now o he puts back on some weight but now he wont touch rats he seems like he is scared of it

Old 01-17-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
LadyOhh
First off, how often are you offer, what do you offer, what size compared to the animal, and is it over the RI? What are your temps in the cage, and outside the house?

There are a lot of factors to consider when this type of problem rears its ugly head.

Please share with us this information, and we may be able to help you better.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
kellysballs
I will start by saying I have not had to experience RI so what I am going to say may not apply, but...
I have a 800gram pastel that will only eat rats if I dangle a mouse in front of him, and after he is done with it he will eat a sm/med rat.
I guess some of them are picky, or may be he's just spoiled.
Hope it helps.
Kelly

Old 01-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
lillyorchid
Three of my BP's just got over one bad RI outbreak here.
Both females ate each time while sick and on meds.
Male is on fast so he's been off eating for awhile now.

I have had good luck doing this with my mice eater snakes.

I first give the snake a mouse. He'll eat that - then just as soon I see him start flickering his tongue about to look for more, I toss in a rat pup about the same size as the mouse. He is already is hunting mode and wanting to eat more. I've had all my mouse eaters be able to be switched over using this method. You might have to do that pattern for two/three weeks, but after a while just give him a rat pup and work up from there.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #7
feedersbreeders
he isnt completely over it he gets his 7 shot today which then he has two more if i drop a mouse in there he freaks and has it wraped up usually with in 5 minutes rat30 minutes and not touched. The rat is about the same size as his body and about 2 to 3 times size of his head the temsp are 93 to 95 on the hot end and 80 on the cold end. my hosue ia really old and usualyl pretty chilly so i leave the light on for him. and no its not a motel 6

Old 01-17-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
WarrenReptiles
Some BP's never change from mice Try the scenting as suggested, take some "used" mouse bedding and put it in a container with your rat. I would not recommend using a live rat and mouse to scent for obvious reasons...

An alternative is african soft-furred rats, they are not as big as rats but are larger than mice.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
LadyOhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by feedersbreeders
he isnt completely over it he gets his 7 shot today which then he has two more if i drop a mouse in there he freaks and has it wraped up usually with in 5 minutes rat30 minutes and not touched. The rat is about the same size as his body and about 2 to 3 times size of his head the temsp are 93 to 95 on the hot end and 80 on the cold end. my hosue ia really old and usualyl pretty chilly so i leave the light on for him. and no its not a motel 6
Well, since he is technically still sick, he may just not be hungry, but then again, if he only eats mice and has been eating for you recently, then it may be just a picky eater.

I would suggest the scenting method. Take a rat and rub it in mouse stuff... Then see if that works.

Keep us updated!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!