Can Asian Vine Snakes eat rodents and live! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
Black Adder
Can Asian Vine Snakes eat rodents and live!

Ok having a hard time finding this info out there on the web so thought would try here.
My question is not whether I can get an Asian Vinesnake to eat rodents but specificaly if their system can survive it!
I have read statements by a supposed expert on vine snakes who said they did not have the gut flora to digest rodents.
But have read many other articles that just allude to the fact that it is very difficult to switch them over but none I found actually said if it was harmfull in the long run.
I am asking as obviously I own one and thought that rodents must have more nutrition than anoles etc so gave it a try over the weekend and blow me if he did not wolf down a live pinky in seconds!
Now the last thing I want to do is kill him by incorrectly feeding but also want the best course of feeding for his long term health.
Thoughts please!

Old 01-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
NIGRO51
Not sure where you were looking but this is from the first two sites I saw when I googled asian vine snakes... Seems like rodents are fine.

Ambush Predators
Largely diurnal, the main prey of Ahaetulla are lizards and, on occasion, small rodents and birds.

as per http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care...an-Vine-Snake/

What do they eat?
Mainly lizards but they will also eat frogs and fish. Some Asian vine snakes in captivity can be switched over to mice but it is very difficult. Most will never take mice no matter how hard you try and will only eat lizards. In captivity you can buy house geckos and anoles to feed your snake. They should be fed 4 adult sized lizards a week. These

as per http://thereptilewhisperer.blogspot....a-prasina.html

Old 01-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Black Adder
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGRO51 View Post
Not sure where you were looking but this is from the first two sites I saw when I googled asian vine snakes... Seems like rodents are fine.

Ambush Predators
Largely diurnal, the main prey of Ahaetulla are lizards and, on occasion, small rodents and birds.

as per http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care...an-Vine-Snake/

What do they eat?
Mainly lizards but they will also eat frogs and fish. Some Asian vine snakes in captivity can be switched over to mice but it is very difficult. Most will never take mice no matter how hard you try and will only eat lizards. In captivity you can buy house geckos and anoles to feed your snake. They should be fed 4 adult sized lizards a week. These

as per http://thereptilewhisperer.blogspot....a-prasina.html
Thank you
I did indeed see those and a few more BUT I was told by a supposedly reputable breeder of asian vines that they CANNOT live on a diet of rodents " they do not have the stomach flora for rodents" is their exact verbage.
Thats why I was asking for more opinions?

Old 01-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
NIGRO51
You might have to be the "test dummy"

Old 01-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
Crich47
I have 4 asian vine snakes myself, 2 are the species prasina and two are nasuta and they only eat anoles. Rodents are not unheard of and I have met people who have been able to feed chicks and rodents to asian vines. It's just really hard to get the snakes to go for rodents. Takes time and patience.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
Black Adder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crich47 View Post
I have 4 asian vine snakes myself, 2 are the species prasina and two are nasuta and they only eat anoles. Rodents are not unheard of and I have met people who have been able to feed chicks and rodents to asian vines. It's just really hard to get the snakes to go for rodents. Takes time and patience.
If that is the ONLY issue then I am all set because as soon as he set eyes( and straight out tongue) on a live pinky crawling in bottom of his viv he piledrived it like there was no tomorrow.
And has been pounding them down ever since...lol
And I still mix his diet up with a few anoles I catch as well so all is hopefully good!

Old 01-10-2016, 11:38 PM   #7
toddnbecka
Rodents, particularly baby ones, have a much higher fat content than lizards. No clue about the digestive flora angle, but I would think too many rodents in their diet wouldn't be healthy in the log run. I've heard that black head pythons have a much shorter life span if fed rodents, they're also mainly reptile eaters in the wild.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:18 AM   #8
Black Adder
Yea I would agree if I feed exclusively rodents which I am not intending to do, looking to do about a 50/50 mix of pinkies and anoles
I guess I will see how it goes......

Old 01-13-2016, 06:59 AM   #9
ElexisC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Adder View Post
If that is the ONLY issue then I am all set because as soon as he set eyes( and straight out tongue) on a live pinky crawling in bottom of his viv he piledrived it like there was no tomorrow.
And has been pounding them down ever since...lol
And I still mix his diet up with a few anoles I catch as well so all is hopefully good!
I would watch feeding then wild caught prey as you can introduce parasites and diseases they would never be exposed to in their native habitat let alone captivity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!