About the site being down in the AM of 09/10/03 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 09-10-2003, 11:37 AM   #1
WebSlave
Angry About the site being down in the AM of 09/10/03

Yesterday I was having problems trying to copy the entire FaunaClassifieds system over to another server in order to use it as a template for a new site I am working on. But the CPanel function to do this automatically was failing with a timeout error.

I contacted the CPanel people about this and the guy said he needed the server access passwords for both source and destination.

So this morning I get up to an email box filled with vBulletin database errors and and email from this guy asking me to reset my FTP password to my FaunaClassifieds account on the source server. !!! Well he apparently blew away something in the MySQL database as well.

Here's the latest email I got from him:

Quote:
Rich,

All I did was change the password in the WHM and it changed the MySQL password to.

I did restore the backup you had of your mySQL tables for the forum. However, I had to create a new database username and database name. The username is xxx_xxx and the password is the same as before, xxxxxxx. The database name is xxx_forums01. I hope this is OK, as it now shows in the cPanel mySQL section in the Control Panel.

I have esclated this ticket to a level 2 tech. For some reason, when using the Account Copy script it deleted the mySQL databases. I do apologize for the inconvience this has caused.
Apparently this means that everything that has taken place since last night around 3am EST is gone when he rebuild the database from my backup file. Dammit.

I wonder what would have happened if I didn't do backups every night?

This site appears to be back up OK now, but I really didn't need this on my plate today.

Sorry...

Old 09-10-2003, 12:16 PM   #2
jenn_jeffery
Not your fault by any means Webslave, we all appreciate the hard work you put into the site!!

Old 09-11-2003, 10:47 AM   #3
WebSlave
Well apparently it's not over with yet.

One of my advertisers has just let me know that clicking on ANY of the banner ads simply displays an INTERNAL SERVER ERROR rather than taking you to the site of the banner.

Great.

I guess the CPanel guy blew up the MySQL connection to that as well. I have sent them a notice and certainly hope they can fix this PRONTO. I am getting ready to roll out the door for the Mid Atlantic Show and will not be back until late Monday, so I just don't have time to try to rebuild the banner ad software myself.

Man, sorry about all this!

Old 09-11-2003, 12:30 PM   #4
kenalotia
At least they seem to respond quickly when you point out the problem to them! I clicked a couple of banners and was brought right to their websites.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:39 PM   #5
WebSlave
That was not their doing. That was my fix.

I have a routine on my server to refresh the MySQL permissions. I simply ran that a few minutes ago to see if it would work. I don't know how persistent that quick fix will be, however.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!