Harpers ferry md copperhead. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Sm1nts2escape
Harpers ferry md copperhead.

Thought you guys might like to see this copperhead I pulled it off the road one night and then realeased it two days later in the same area but off the roadI tried to feed him/her a thawed hopper but it wouldn't take it.The snake was really calm for a wild snake.I have always caught wild snakes and they are usually very aggresive but this one was pretty docile.I have never caught a copperhead before.The only thing is when it was in the cage it was ready to strike but once it was out if was very calm and just wanted to get away/slither around.I am guessing it is about a year old?It was about 1'6" long.Very cool snake to have as a pet.I have always wanted to keep venomous and really love cobras but they are just so damn fast and defensive.Any other venomous that is half ass safe to free handle?Thanks

Old 11-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
KingBowser
Yeah, coppers are a very mellow hot snake to deal with as long as they're not cornered. They usually just try to slowly slither away when confronted in the wild. A few years back while out herping I found a pair just sitting quietly underneath a log in the spring. I hooked both of them very calmly and they didn't even try to escape. By far one of my favorite snakes.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
Sm1nts2escape
I think next year I will get one and keep it.Handling it was like handling my old boa just alot smaller and weaker.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
SerpenXotics
Free handling venomous snakes is dangerous and you will get "tagged" eventually. Even a envenomation from a copperhead can be life threatening. Think before you act!

Old 11-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Sm1nts2escape
Yes I know it is very dangerous and shoud be avoided at all cost.But it was cool that a wild venomous snake was so relaxed.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
SerpenXotics
Look I am not trying to be a jerk here. But I have several cobras that I would consider tame. But do I hold them NO. Period there is no reason for this risk. You have to understand that one bite could change the "rules" of legally keeping venomous snakes. I am not sure what the legalities are in your state. But I do know that states that were perfectly legal to keep venomous in are now totally illegal. Some of which passed these regulations after someone was bitten. Even if the copperhead is tame it is still VENOMOUS! I realize you see people do it especially online, that certainly does not mean it should be done by all. If you want to handle "wild snakes" try a racer or a ratsnake you will find some that are just so laid back and calm especially this time of year.
Just trying to protect my hobby
Joe

Old 11-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
Sm1nts2escape
Understand completely.I would never risk holding a cobra though.Way to strong of a venom.I am not trying to be cool.I love animals.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
SerpenXotics
I understand what you are saying. My point is venom is venom it does not matter how toxic it is in general. You could have a allergy or a bad reaction regardless.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
SerpenXotics
And that is a beautiful copper by the way!

Old 11-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
Sm1nts2escape
Also not sure if you noticed but I said half ass safe.I have seen alot of dumbasses on youtube handling aggressive snakes.I frown on them.I don't care if you are good with a hook or not.If the snake is fast and agressive then I believe it should only be in its cage and if you need to move it a trap box or if you need to examine it have a tube and some help.That copper was beautiful.Only reason I didn't keep it is cause I'm renting one of my dad's houses and he is terrified of snakes.Next year.And maybe down the road a cobra.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!