Keeping warm in the Winter - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-21-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
soggysandwich
Keeping warm in the Winter

As you guys know winter is coming up, so i was wondering what you guys use to keep you chameleons warm in the winter? currently i have a 50watt bulb, its kinda like this one here. what do you think?

Old 11-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #2
Dave W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggysandwich
As you guys know winter is coming up, so i was wondering what you guys use to keep you chameleons warm in the winter?...
Howdy,

I use a ceramic heater when the room temp drops below aprox 65F at night. I use a dimmer to adjust those 60W heaters to produce a level of heat that is just enough to keep the sleeping spot above ~65F. It is positioned just outside of the enclosure right next to the sleeping spot. I have found that I don't need a heater above 60W to do what I need. Others may find the need for more heat over a wider area. A higher wattage heater is capable of providing those levels. Don't forget that the ceramic surface of any of these heaters can easily get to hundreds of degrees - HOT!

An example of a cermaic heater.
http://www.zoomed.com/html/ceramic_heat_emitters.php

Old 11-24-2005, 11:45 PM   #3
insecttrap
Hello,

What cham sp are we talking about?

Thanks.

Michael

Old 11-25-2005, 08:23 AM   #4
old guy
Did you say what kind of cage ?

if glass or screen. Hot spots are just that with the use of spot/flood lights either of day light ( bright ) or red/black bulbs. The caveats of the ceramic heaters are right on spot with capacity of being very hot. If the species are of day-light, and if using a glass cage, I have been known to use a spot or flood light for chams and frog species aimed at one panel of glass on the outside of cage and create the " ambient " air temperature inside cage. And we are talking of using that method already with last nights temp falling down to the low 20ties. I used a red spot during the night.

Old 11-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
pohcy
i used a 100Watt and i am in Buffalo, NY......... it is usually around 20-30 degree during winter...100 watt plus apartment heater turn my cage to around 60 at night and 75 in the morning..........!!........hope this will help!! Oh btw...i have a pair of veiled and a pair of panther!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!