Best size feeder - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-17-2005, 12:48 PM   #11
hhmoore
and yes - I hope to breed them this year. they've come a long way since I got them as thin imports. they eat f/t rats & guinea pigs every time they are offered, regardless of how deep in shed they are (the slowest starter refused f/t the first 2 times, but since I offered nothing else...). the smallest one (1st photo) is up to 12 lbs now. if anyone is wondering, they are in 41qt sterilites (same width/height as the 28qt, but 3 ft long)

Old 05-17-2005, 12:52 PM   #12
hhmoore
now, back to your emeralds. if you don't mind my asking, where did you get them?

Old 05-17-2005, 03:15 PM   #13
Dennis1
Emeralds

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
now, back to your emeralds. if you don't mind my asking, where did you get them?
I have been looking to buy some emeralds for months and i didnt want to spend an arm and a leg for them
I figured i would check out our local show (Taylor, Michigan) and if i didnt find some there id buy em off the net
to my surprise my wife spotted them from the door and they were in the back...lol one person had em 1 male 2 females he said they were eating and been in country for at least 3 months
He wanted $300 a peice but cut me a deal for 2 $540
so i bought em if i had more money i would've bought all three

Old 05-17-2005, 09:10 PM   #14
hhmoore
now I really am jealous. the only emeralds I see at the shows I go to are high priced CBs (usually around $600) or imports I wouldn't touch. I wish you luck with them. OH, one more hint: if you have occasion to have one out of its enclosure, and it very calmly presses its face against your hand/arm...scream like a girl cuz its about to bite you!

Old 05-17-2005, 09:21 PM   #15
Dennis1
Quote:
now I really am jealous. the only emeralds I see at the shows I go to are high priced CBs (usually around $600) or imports I wouldn't touch. I wish you luck with them.
Dont be jealous cuz of that
Be jealous because i think she may be pregnant...lol

Quote:
OH, one more hint: if you have occasion to have one out of its enclosure, and it very calmly presses its face against your hand/arm...scream like a girl cuz its about to bite you!
LOL that was 2 funny

Old 05-17-2005, 09:23 PM   #16
Dennis1
Quote:
OH, one more hint: if you have occasion to have one out of its enclosure, and it very calmly presses its face against your hand/arm...scream like a girl cuz its about to bite you!
i forgot to ask have you ever been bit by one?
I've heard horror stories

Old 05-18-2005, 02:06 AM   #17
Josephbrugh
Congrats

Welcome to the world of emeralds!

I couldent help but notice you feeding issue, and questions about the teeth.
First off feeding, every breeder has their own ideas, I personall feed my females a small rat every 12-14 days, my males a adult mouse every 26-28 days. The reason for this is that I dont want fat lazy males that just sit and digest, I want them to cruise the cage looking for chow, or love as it may be.
second, there are two kinds of bites. One is a get the hell out of my way, I know you want to eat me. This is a quick nip or slashing of the teeth, had plenty and they hurt a good bit. Second is the dreaded Chew and bleed. This bite happens when you are making mistakes during handling and they lock on you for a good 10 seconds AND CHEW. I have heard of friends having mild nerve damage from this, and from personal experience I can say that during the act it feels as if you arm is on fire.
All in all keep some bactine on hand and roll with the punches.....

Here are some recomended forums you may enjoy:
www.thetreeboaforum.com
www.corallus.com

have fun and good luck witht he emmys..

joe

www.emeraldboas.com

Old 05-18-2005, 02:21 AM   #18
hhmoore
I won't be jealous of that (I've got 2-3 of my own that are probably gravid at this point), but I will say "good for you" and wish you even more luck.
Joe brought up a good point about the different feeding regimen for males - I do that myself, but for some reason I forgot to mention it. The get out of my world/get away from me bite is pretty obvious, and (I hate to say it, but) if you get nailed with that one, it's your own fault. the other one sucks though...you can have it out and it seems all calm and happy, you'll feel a little pressure as it pushes those heat pits up against you, then you see the mouth open and feel the fire that Joe referred to. Yes, I have been bitten that way by younger emeralds - I am more careful with the adults (I've seen their teeth up close). I do still reach in to move my adults occasionally (I really prefer top opening containers for that purpose, lol), but I always wear something with heavy long sleeves and leather gloves to block the heat.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:38 AM   #19
Dennis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephbrugh
Welcome to the world of emeralds!
Thank You

Quote:
I couldent help but notice you feeding issue, and questions about the teeth.
First off feeding, every breeder has their own ideas, I personall feed my females a small rat every 12-14 days, my males a adult mouse every 26-28 days. The reason for this is that I dont want fat lazy males that just sit and digest, I want them to cruise the cage looking for chow, or love as it may be.
I think I'll take your advice and do it that way

Quote:
second, there are two kinds of bites. One is a get the hell out of my way, I know you want to eat me. This is a quick nip or slashing of the teeth, had plenty and they hurt a good bit. Second is the dreaded Chew and bleed. This bite happens when you are making mistakes during handling and they lock on you for a good 10 seconds AND CHEW. I have heard of friends having mild nerve damage from this, and from personal experience I can say that during the act it feels as if you arm is on fire.
All in all keep some bactine on hand and roll with the punches.....
Looks as if i'm bound to get bit,Oh well i just buy some stock in bandaids...lol

Quote:
Here are some recomended forums you may enjoy:
www.thetreeboaforum.com
www.corallus.com
have fun and good luck witht he emmys..
Thanks for the advice and url's its appreciated

Old 05-18-2005, 09:54 AM   #20
Dennis1
Quote:
I won't be jealous of that (I've got 2-3 of my own that are probably gravid at this point), but I will say "good for you" and wish you even more luck.
Just teasing she may be pregnant but if she is thats just lucky for me
Do you house your pairs together all the time or just for breeding

Quote:
Joe brought up a good point about the different feeding regimen for males - I do that myself, but for some reason I forgot to mention it.
Yeah that sounds like good advice to me

Quote:
The get out of my world/get away from me bite is pretty obvious, and (I hate to say it, but) if you get nailed with that one, it's your own fault. the other one sucks though...you can have it out and it seems all calm and happy, you'll feel a little pressure as it pushes those heat pits up against you, then you see the mouth open and feel the fire that Joe referred to. Yes, I have been bitten that way by younger emeralds - I am more careful with the adults (I've seen their teeth up close). I do still reach in to move my adults occasionally (I really prefer top opening containers for that purpose, lol), but I always wear something with heavy long sleeves and leather gloves to block the heat.
Im sure im going to get bit by that female she watches my every move when im by the cage(Ive had to put a curtain around her cage so she doesnt stress as much) lol... i even made a blocker from cardboard that i hang on the perch so i can clean the cage and she cant bite me she even bit that thats when i saw those Teeth

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!