How much are King Rat Snakes worth!? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:22 AM   #1
nic105
How much are King Rat Snakes worth!?

I recently found a king rat snake (extremely beautiful/ sort of looks like a king cobra with faded white lines and solid dark grey body) in my area, comes with cage and everything, the seller was offering me everything for FREE! I wanted to know if I should take that deal or not because I don't really know much about the species and it seems to be really uncommon in the pet trade, I keep large constrictors like burms and retics so I'd like to think of myself as experienced but I'm not really familiar with this species of snake. Should I take the deal? Thoughts? Worth it?

Old 07-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
Donald C
The young female I picked up was around $270 (pet store price). I have since seen three more, a normal adult female at $250 and 1.1 adult albinos at $350 each.

Try to find out why this person wants to give it away for free, it seems suspicious to me. Find out when it last ate, and what that was if they could get it to eat.

Other things to ask: how long they have had it, any behavioral issues (overly aggressive, shy feeder, etc).

Old 07-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
Donald C
For a point of reference, my king ratsnake is very flighty, a tad aggressive when held, and a very shy feeder. She will not eat if she can see me. I have to either leave the room with the feed or put her in a paper bag with the food overnight.

Some a friend of mine has are very aggressive feeders.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
nic105
The snake wasn't free initially but the seller needed to get rid of the snake asap and I bargained with him

Old 07-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
Donald C
If you do pick it up, be warned, king ratsnakes can be formidable (well developed musk glands and an abundant willingness to use them).

Old 07-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
Donald C
In case you do pick it up, I've linked a caresheet for them below.

http://enigmareptiles.weebly.com/king-rat-snake.html

Old 07-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #7
nic105
I just picked the little guy up, he's extremely gorgeous! Healthy and aggressive lol guess I saved 300 bucks! He resembles a king cobra in so many ways lol it's crazy

Old 07-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #8
Donald C
Post some picks of 'em when you get the time. I'd love to see him.

Have fun though, nothing quite like a snake that keeps you on your toes

Old 07-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
Sasha2
what a score..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!