Dry scales-discolored - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
gluttony
Dry scales-discolored

My brumating corn has this patch on his back, will it come off with his next shed? Is there anything I can put on it to aid it from not getting worse?
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
aleria
I had the same issue with my albino rtb. Looked absolutely identical to this. At times I doubted that it was stuck shed and thought it was scale rot or something along those lines as I couldn't seem to find edges where it could easily be scraped off during his rubbing throughout the cage. But I never found that it caused any harm and it always went away completely after a shed.

I'd say if it doesn't come off with the next shed, then maybe look into it further for treatment.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
gluttony

Thank you, thats a breath of fresh air, Your post gives me hope he wont be scarred.
His brumation tub had no rough edges, it was a 28 quart tote, 2 dry hides and a water bowl, on aspen.
I have pulled him from brumation, and have him in a sterilized tote of the same size with nature bark and 2 moist hides, the temp is 61-65.
I also dabbed some mineral oil on it, im not sure id I should use neosporin or some store brand shed aid or something.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
aleria
I'd say just with the increased humidity and maybe a little extra spritz of water now and then he should be fine. I've always avoided using shed spray as it never seemed any better than just plain water and I think there are some types of neosporin that can actually be bad for them. The extra moisture alone should do it, especially once he hits the shed cycle. I'll bet it'll come right off with the shed like it did for my rtb.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
if you do use neosporin, make sure it's the kind that does NOT have pain reliever. I've also used a very diluted betedine mixture (diluted with water so it looks like very weak tea) to disinfect. Hopefully it clears up in the next shed! beautiful corn, is it a butter?

Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
gluttony

Thank you April, he is a 3 year old male butter, named popcorn.
It figures I am out of betadine until I can get to the pharmacy....
I am not going to use the neo-sporin, A few people on other sites have said it is scale rot and I was a bit worried, he let me dab the mineral oil on it and when I was holding him and dabbing it he didnt freak out. I didnt try to rub it off since he hasnt fed in weeks and I just pulled him from brumation.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
gluttony
update

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
these were after a betadine bath, Im sure it will come off after the next shed.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
gluttony
update

A little vinegar and water on a rag, and presto.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!