Several words about Uromastyx substrate. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
Flatfish1
Several words about Uromastyx substrate.

Before I start, I want everyone to know that I am NOT an expert in any way. Just a guy with opinions. These are my opinions, not fact.
Like most people who have researched Uromastyx care, I found several sources who suggest millet or bird seed as a suitable substrate for Uros citing less risk of impaction with bird seed. They say this is a food they would normally eat anyway and it will digest and pass through like any food. So I bought into this theory and used bird seed as my substrate for my pair of Uros and it seems to work out fine. As I researched even further, I found someone who suggested that Uros may end up eating too much seed since it is always available under foot (high fat) and not enough leafy greens and veggies and fruit (good foods). If you had a bowl of potato chips in front of you and a bowl of broccoli, which would you eat?
Also, after a while, I just wasn't pleased with the LOOK of my seed substrate. So I began to wonder about the mental well being of my Uros on seed substrate. And soon after I found another source that claimed that seed is not a good substrate because the lizards cannot gain good purchase. They can't push off. They can't move naturally without the seeds giving away because they offer no resistance. This person claimed that it may even be detrimental to bone structure and muscular strength in the long run. This also makes sense to me. I also believe they just feel better on a more natural surface.
So this is what I did: I replaced my seeds with a mixture of washed play sand from Lowe's along with a small amount of landscaping sand (More variable grain/pebble size), some commercial terrarium plantation soil (helps thicken the mixture a little bit) and some excavator clay. I added no water to any of this. I figured the dry excavator clay might work as a clumping agent for the liquid urates, kind of like clumping kitty litter.
Remember, this is for adults only. I agree that hatchling/young Uros should probably be on a paper substrate of some sort to get started.
My Uros SEEM happier on this substrate. Of course, I really can't prove that in any scientific way. It's just a feeling I get. They seem to get around better and enjoy scratching and digging in the dirt!
And who's to say that ingesting a small amount of dirt or sand on occasion is not actually good for the uros? (Somebody probably will!) Many animals need gravel/dirt/sand in their diet. Most birds do. Still, I keep my food offerings in a dish just in case. I have on occasion seen my Uros eating some dried greens left behind on the ground. They are actually pretty careful to pick it up cleanly. Does anyone suppose that a Uromastyx mom or dad in the wild tells his kids, "Be sure not to eat any dirt out there, you don't want to get impacted!"
Hey, I did say SEVERAL words, not a few!

Sorry I couldn't cite any specific sources and give credit where credit is due. I just remember reading or hearing these things somewhere.

Wayne

Old 08-17-2019, 09:23 PM   #2
animal-house
You are absolutely correct. Substrates (natural not processed or mullet like shit) are always good for animals (and even at a young age too) and are NEVER the root cause of impaction. For that to happen, your animal is either unhealthy, or your care is inappropriate. Usually temperature is the biggest thing considering (in this case for uros) everyone says “oh 110 is perfect basking temperature.” When in reality on the wild these animals are caught basking at 120-130 degrees, and yes that 10-20 degrees makes a huge difference. So I agree with you as far as what you have said!

Old 08-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
jam2662
Well stated Wayne!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!