New York state law issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 07-04-2003, 04:52 AM   #1
Rob BryertonRKK
New York state law issues

www.assembly.state.ny.us/

Old 07-04-2003, 05:38 AM   #2
Rob BryertonRKK
Bills 7/4/03

Mr Tonko is the one who introduced The Tonko Bill. The Bill numbers change often. So we must be vigilant.
Here are the most recent ones:
A02684 and S00905.
EVERYONE should be interested in what it says in the body of the Bill so click on "Bill Text"
I particularly like the wording in Bill S00905 and I QUOTE:
"ACROSS THE COUNTRY, CHILDREN HAVE BEEN MAULED BY TIGERS, ASPHYXIATED BY SNAKES...
You need to send letters to your representatives. One Letter per Bill.

Old 07-24-2003, 04:24 PM   #3
fantasykiller89
Exclamation Illegal Frog to own in Ny

I have heard from some places that its illegal to own Egyptian God Toads in NY. Is this true because my friend gave me one that he found in the wild injured. Its now in perfect shape but i would like to know if i should or need to get a liscense to own it so i dont get in trouble.

Thanx

Old 08-13-2003, 10:01 PM   #4
Glenn Bartley
I have never even heard of that toad, but if you seriously want to check, go to the New York State DEC site, and click on their contact link. They should be able to set you in the right direction.

Old 12-10-2003, 05:38 PM   #5
Darin Chappell
N.Y. State ban on "wild" animal ownership

Check this out!!!!

N.Y. Assembly

Nice to see they're not overreacting or anything!!!

Old 12-29-2003, 05:32 PM   #6
MattHarris
Thumbs down S905B

The Upstate Herpetological Association has sent over 700 signatures of residents who oppose this bill(And A02684). It's being watched....but then again, this thing was introduced back in 2001, so it's been difficiult thus far for it to get any support.

Matt

Old 06-27-2004, 12:12 PM   #7
Bruce Lowder
NY Trying to Bann many Reptiles!!

Dear Reptile Enthusiast:

The New York Senate and Assembly have moved to pass legislation that would bann the sale and severely restrict ownership of many pet reptiles, including larger monitor species and all members of the family boidae. This includes even small, harmless species such as ball pythons and sand boas! This law has been debated for several years now, but now looks to be moving forward.....

Here is a link to view the proposed law: http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A02684&sh=t

In order for this legislation to become law, it must be signed by Governor Pataki, which could happen very soon!! If you are a New York state resident, please email the governor as soon as possible, asking him to veto this legislation!! Please be polite and to the point, but indicate the absurdity of banning small, harmless species such as ball pythons and sand boas! These present NO threat to public safety!

Residents of other states can also stress that they still spend their dollars at our reptile expo in White Plains, purchasing harmless pet reptiles from in many cases NY breeders and dealers. All that sales tax money goes to NY!

Governor Patacki can be emailed through this site: http://161.11.3.75/

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Bruce Lowder

NY Reptile Expoproposed law

Old 06-28-2004, 11:49 AM   #8
Vince
Well im glad i live in cape coral florida, not only can we keep reptiles as pets with no problem when can walk out side and see niles an iggys give it another year and there will be bearded dragons climbing my pool cage.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
NYCHerper
Thank you for posting this very important thread. I am a NY state resident and it is absurd that he would wanna do this. I mean I can understand banning big boids such as retics, and burms, but such harmless snakes that don't even reach extreme lengths is far enough. Even though my email will not impact the decision it will create a dent. . Thanks Again Bruce.
P.S.- Will you be at the White Plains show?

Old 06-28-2004, 07:20 PM   #10
odatria
Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
Well im glad i live in cape coral florida, not only can we keep reptiles as pets with no problem when can walk out side and see niles an iggys give it another year and there will be bearded dragons climbing my pool cage.
What a foolish and inconsiderate post. If this law passes in NY, give it another 5 years and the only reptiles any of us see might be outside. Wake up Vince.