Caller reports deadly snake missing - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
wcreptiles
Caller reports deadly snake missing

If this is true, "sort of a reptile lover"; well, "sort of screwed up". I don't think you leave a fer-de-lance unattended, in a car, in the parking lot of the local Big Kmart. I wonder if he was going in to buy a few more Sterilite tubs?

Caller reports deadly snake missing
Police say they hope someone finds the snake. But call officials — don't try to catch it.
By NICOLAS ZIMMERMAN | 247-4760
March 28, 2008

GLOUCESTER - — A man calling himself "sort of a reptile lover" sparked an areawide snake hunt Thursday, after he called a police tip line to report a deadly pit viper missing from his car.

The man, who didn't identify himself, told police he had been shopping at the Wal-Mart Supercenter when a box containing the highly venomous fer-de-lance was taken from his car. He didn't identify himself, and Gloucester sheriff's investigators have been unable to locate the snake or corroborate the caller's story.

"He said, 'Hey, I'm not going to identify myself because I'm probably not supposed to have this snake, but I'm sort of a reptile lover,'" Gloucester Sheriff's Maj. Darrell Warren said.

The call was placed to the Gloucester Sheriff's Office Crime Line, which promises anonymity and is therefore an untraceable phone line, said Maj. Tim Doss, Gloucester chief deputy.

State law doesn't prohibit keeping venomous snakes, said Julia Dixon, a spokeswoman for Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. All that's needed is a permit from the local animal control officer.

The fer-de-lance is a type of pit viper, native to South and Central America, known for its aggressiveness and the potency of its venom, Michael Wauhop said. He's a former herpetologist at the Virginia Zoo who now runs ZooPro Wildlife Removal in Virginia Beach.

"The fer-de-lance causes more deaths in South and Central America than any other snake, and the reason it does that is it's an ambush predator," he said. "If it's true, they've got a problem."

The brown or olive-colored snake has geometric shapes on its back and is usually between 4 and 6 feet long, he said.

If the snake escaped in the parking lot, Wauhop said, it likely would retreat to a shady area off the pavement to escape the heat. If somebody sees it, he said, "they need to get the hell away."

Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News keeps only antivenins for bites from Virginia's three native poisonous snakes, hospital spokesman Peter Glagola said. If someone was admitted to a Riverside hospital with a bite from a fer-de-lance, the hospital would need to have the antivenin shipped from a poison control center in South Florida — which would take about four hours, he said.

Police are asking anyone with information about the snake's whereabouts to call Gloucester's anonymous Crime Line at 804-693-COPS or the sheriff's office at 804-693-3890. They're offering a reward of up to $1,000 for information that leads to the snake's recovery.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local...,7274865.story

Extremely venomous snake taken from vehicle in Wal-mart parking lot
http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=8078113

----------------
Check this picture out, the last article include it. It should keep people away or else get them out with their shovels and hoes.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
Junkyard
Isn't the current antivenom available for a fur-de-lance bite is Crotalid Polyvalent Antivenom? Why would they need to contact Florida if other south eastern states have native eastern rattlesnakes, which would treat bites with CPA? Does Florida keep stock for the eastern states? Or do they have a different antivenom they are using now?

My questions are sincere because I really do not know.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!