Best size feeder - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #1
Dennis1
Best size feeder

What size feeder do any of you feed your emerald tree boa adults?
I am getting conflicting reports

Old 05-15-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
Dennis1
pics

This is a pic of them
The female is the one watching me
She's the meanest snake i've ever seen

Old 05-15-2005, 05:22 PM   #3
hhmoore
I feed mine f/t small rats and/or adult gerbils...I mention the gerbils because it tends to give a good size reference (small rats come in so many sizes, lol). the only time I feed more than one at any given meal is if I don't have the size I want (always err on the small side). As for your girls temperament...you should meet my bloods!

Old 05-16-2005, 01:02 AM   #4
Scion0
I think the Vosjoli-esque 'rule of thumb' here is to look at your snake's midbody and choose a food item of about the same girth, with slight adjustments if your snakes are looking skinny or thick. Maybe even start writing down the dates they defecate, which should be like clockwork if digestion is good.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:40 AM   #5
Dennis1
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
As for your girls temperament...you should meet my bloods!
thanks for your reply
haha and my next project WAS going to be bloods

Old 05-16-2005, 08:51 AM   #6
Dennis1
feeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion0
I think the Vosjoli-esque 'rule of thumb' here is to look at your snake's midbody and choose a food item of about the same girth, with slight adjustments if your snakes are looking skinny or thick..
So feeding arboreal snakes is pretty much the same as any other snake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion0
Maybe even start writing down the dates they defecate, which should be like clockwork if digestion is good.
How long after they defecate do you wait to feed?

Old 05-16-2005, 01:51 PM   #7
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1
So feeding arboreal snakes is pretty much the same as any other snake?
sort of, but not exactly. same basic ideas, in that juvies can be fed more than adults...but as a rule, you will not be feeding as much or as often. for your adults - a single rat, fed every 2 weeks or so, is sufficient.
how long have you had your emeralds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1
and my next project WAS going to be bloods
if you were serious about that, you should still consider it. you can get CB bloods with wonderful temperaments...I just happened to come across a great deal on some imported Bangkas...attitude is not a real concern for me.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
Dennis1
Quote:
sort of, but not exactly. same basic ideas, in that juvies can be fed more than adults...but as a rule, you will not be feeding as much or as often. for your adults - a single rat, fed every 2 weeks or so, is sufficient.
how long have you had your emeralds?
Just got em saturday they were WC but healthy

Quote:
if you were serious about that, you should still consider it. you can get CB bloods with wonderful temperaments...I just happened to come across a great deal on some imported Bangkas...attitude is not a real concern for me
Oh yeah im serious I will be getting some bloods (was kidding about the was part...lol) Im not scared of those pointed razor sharp teeth...lol thats what gloves are for
Only thing i just spent alotta money and the boss says we have to wait a while before getting more not to mention running low on space

I bet your bloods a very nice! will you be breeding them?Got pics?

Old 05-17-2005, 12:30 PM   #9
hhmoore
no issues with WC emeralds from me - I've had better luck with them than with CBs for some reason. A few hints (that you probably arlready know): 1) make sure that the cages have enough ventilation -you can't sacrifice fresh air to gain humidity...not if you want them to live, anyway.
2) to the greatest extent possible - don't mess with them. if you want to hold a snake, buy a blood python (hehe).
3) the exception to # 2: clean the cage as soon as possible (this is not necessarily the same as "at your earliest convenience") read: as soon as you notice it is soiled
4) let them sit for 2 weeks before attempting feeding.

re: pictures. I do now. just grabbed a few off the shelf...one is deep in shed (but ate last nite, anyway - mine never skip a meal), and I clipped the edge a little bit cuz I was trying to rush the pic so my dumb dog didn't stick his face in there.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:36 PM   #10
hhmoore
oops

sorry, somehow managed to post the same pic x 2. this was supposed to be the 2nd one

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!