Gecko isn't eating - please help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
fligyrl
Gecko isn't eating - please help

Hello. My leopard gecko lost her tail at the end of December and hasn't eaten since then. After she lost her tail, I covered her sand with paper towel so that it wouldn't get into her wound and I thought maybe the change in her environment caused enough stress for her to stop eating. I've since put everything back to normal and tried supplementing her diet with waxworms because she always ate waxworms. She is still having bowel movements so I don't think she's impacted. Her tail is slowly growing back but I'm at my wits end. She still has energy but is getting really thin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, should I force feed her and if so, what's the procedure?

Old 06-08-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
nicolai
does she have enough hides? a moist hide?Can you put her somewhere she wont be disturbed too much? If her tail is growing and she is still having bowel movements then she must be eating. Normally they will stop having bowel movements regular kind) after a week or two of not eating.Once they stop eating and start living off the fat reservoirs in the tail the bowel movements become very liquid. keep trying varied forms of foods (crickets,waxies,mealies) to try and stimulate her appetite. Don't leave the uneaten ones in the enclosure long enough to be a nuisance to her though.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
fligyrl
That's what I thought about the bowel movements. I think she may be eating the calcium supplement I provide because I've been counting the worms and she hasn't been eating them. She does have a moist hide and a cave. I will try providing a variety. Thank you for the suggestion. You've given me some hope.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
nicolai
if you need more help you can post in the leopard gecko forum here, there is a vast majority of members with experience with them. Usually then can answer anyones questions. Good luck with your little girl.

Old 06-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
fligyrl
I bought a new food dish (one that worms can't get out of) and offered her a variety of food. She did lick one worm. She's been walking around with her eyes closed a lot lately and when they are open, they look very dark so I'm going to take her to a vet this week. I posted in the Leopard Gecko forum as well. Thank you very much for your suggestions and hopefully, I'll have some good news soon.

Old 06-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
nicolai
Shari, the vet is a good choice. i hope everything turns out all right for you. Please update us when you know more.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:16 PM   #7
fligyrl
Well, I brought Jose to the vet today and, besides an eye infection, she's a healthy little gecko. She's getting eye drops and a mild antibiotic every day for a week and hopefully, she'll start eating normally again soon. The vet thinks she may have developed a mild infection when she lost her tail. I'm going to try to get a stool sample to make sure she doesn't have a parasite. I feel so much better. Thanks again for the help.

Old 06-17-2006, 06:52 AM   #8
nicolai
I am glad to hear she is dong better and been to the vet!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!