LA Reptiles - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-06-2004, 06:02 PM   #51
M n R-Reptile
Through another company name I own which shall remain nameless, I buy periodically from LA Reptile when I cannot find what I need to fill PET SHOP orders. Brian, you have all her info from JP PETS who buys almost exclusively from her as he has ripped everybody else off. She only sells to him on COD.
Jerry, I figured you meant buying stuff from her for your personal collection as probably the only one on here that does. And for that I can put money that you are probably the only one that does. If you are n individual that has a GOOD history with her than she is all for selling to you but if you are like Strictly for whom she hates for setting innocent people up(this is all word of mouth not my opinion, just what i have heard) she will hang up on you. She will not sell to you if you sell her stuff to strictly, etc.

Chris and Gene are great people and have good animals. I really admire her 1% pijac fee she charges to help support this industry. Only one or two other companies do so. She sends copies to her customers that show how much she has sent in a month or half month not sure which.
The lowest I have seen the check for was $1,500 or so. That means she clears about 150K a month or half month. OR MORE. I have seen it as high as $5,000.00+
She is donating all that money to help protect us. This also shows she really has no need for new customers. I know plenty of wholesale businesses that would love to even get half that amount in gross sales.
So in all and all.....yes her number is hard to get if you really are ignorant and dumb. Second she will probably reject you unless she sees a recogniction in the name or a reference.

So for all interested go ahead and try. All youll be doing is wasting your time and especially hers.
If she is in doubt, she will surely ask you for a tax id or other sort of proof of business. WHOLESALE business.

Old 01-06-2004, 06:04 PM   #52
M n R-Reptile
Rob,
Also , the boxes do HAVE her number on them. Her full adress and tel number.
Mike

Old 01-06-2004, 06:17 PM   #53
bpc
Well Mike, actually, when I got home and checked, I realized I had thrown out all the old boxes I had. So I had no boxes to check. But thanks for backing me up on that.

And yes, I do know of LA because of my dealings w/ JP. While we're talking about JP, why is it ok for yall to come on here and tell the world what color underwear he's got on, yet you then chastize someone else for simply asking for a phone number. Damn I wish my $hit didn't stink either....

Old 01-06-2004, 06:21 PM   #54
bpc
Darn, posted before I finished my thought...

anyway, yes I heard of LA through JP. I got their # from information.

Old 01-06-2004, 06:32 PM   #55
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Mike,

Well all the boxes I have seen from LA Reptiles only have their name on the side and only had their name, address, and phone number on the Airbill. Maybe the boxes are different than what I have seen.

Brian,

I have said nothing wrong about JP Pets. All I said was that is how you got the boxes from LA Reptiles in your possession. Now as for anyone else I can not speak for what they say.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:30 PM   #56
KNOBTAIL
MICHAEL, your absolutely correct about

Chris and Gene, but I can tell you from personal experience, that she is a very honorable persons to deal with. She protects her clientel, and she has a very clear understanding of the business. As I indicated, she was 17 when she was purchasing from me.
Gene is a hell of a nice guy. Your right also about Strictly, they are enemies.

My relationship of course was with Ray, the father whom I also knew from the late 60s. His sons needless to say were not born then, and Ray would buy from us when he worked for Pet Farm. Which at the time was owned by Dr. Bernie Levine. I dont patronize Strictly, although I basically have the same arrangement with them as I do with LA Reptiles.
Thanks for the memories. JERRY TRESSER

Old 01-06-2004, 09:26 PM   #57
M n R-Reptile
Jerry,
Yes Chris and Gene are great people. Its funny alot of times when they are talked about in front of people that dont know them and refer to Chris as a "he". LOL. The looks on their face when you tell them it is a she and she is the biggest importer of reptiles.
I met them breify at Daytona.
Good people.
I have alot of rather recent history with Ray and Bernie.
I worked for bernie for a short while at Parrot Jungle. Thegreat stories I have heard of "back int eh day" about Pet Farm and Chase, etc ,etc, are incredible. If I only was around during that time !!!!
Stories about shipments of dc-10 planes specially rented to bring in 2,000 macaws, all sorts of monkeys, hundreds of reptiles, etc are just mind boggling.
I wish it were like that now adays but only one or two people doing it not hundreds and thousands of wannabes that eventually led to the finishing of that back in the day era.
I also know Scott a bit from Last Chance Farm, I worked for Mario at Zoological who has incredible stoies about animals and "other" stuff back in the day. He is a good friend of mine and every now and then as you probably do explain the whole process about back in the day. John from Emerald and Nina also tell me countless countless stories abut almost getting killed over iguanas and other animals as before you had to do ALOT of traveling.
Please enlighten me on some of your stories. I also love eharing about older stuff.

The best part of back then was that there was a comradery between the importers, etc, that sadly is very much lost so today as evident by Rob at RK. I was told that some contacts were shared etc and that everyone knew every one and PAID the exporters. No wonder today exporters require most if not all payment upfront because they have been screwed to many times by newbies, etc and then a select few of the big ballers go the same route.

Half the animals today that are available were opened up by many of the old timers. Countries like Guyana, Suriname Paraguay, were closed and were opened by visists form these old timers.(By the way sorry for saying old timers, I realize I could say pioneers, lol)

Robinson from Colombia is a good friend of mine and me and his son go Jet skiing when we can get the chance..

I feel blessed to have met all these people and have and will always respect them for their efforts no matter past histories

People such as Gene and Chris, John Shannahan, Charlie Mcgowen, Mario Tabraue, Ray, Richard Stubbs, Clive Longden, and many many more that I havent personally been friends with but have gotten to meet.

Stories and pictures are phenomenal. I just wish that I was ther THROUGH THE GOOD AND BAD!

Old 01-06-2004, 09:32 PM   #58
M n R-Reptile
Rob,
so there are no flame wars etc, SO it is clear.
I did not mean in the above post that you were a rip off to exporters, etc as mentioned. I just used your comments as a reference about not sharing contacts. In the old times people helped each other out. For example say hypothetically strictly asked you for a tanzanian guy as theres is no good. Bieng you have totally different markets then them in the old days it wasnt uncommon for you to give them a good tanzanian contact. You sell retail mostly, strictly sells mostly to shops and other dealers that sell to shops. It wouldnt hurt you, but nowadays I highly doubt you would send them the info. Remember this is hypothetical and I do not know situation DID come up if you would actually hand it over, etc.I know of no one except Mario from zoological that would openly give out a contact to someone else. Most times it benefits both as you can save on fish and wildlife fees, freight, etc....

Mike

Old 01-06-2004, 09:52 PM   #59
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Mike,

No Offense taken. Actually I have given a few other importers some of my contacts and they have given me contacts as well. As a matter of fact I have done it on many occasions with importers in Europe. Francois Le berre and I exchanged exporters a few years back that worked great for both of us. This does not mean that I would give my contact information to just anyone out there though. As you put the newbies that try to get into importing usually cause more problems than good. Luckily I have worked hard with my suppliers and have established a reputation that I have Net 15-30 day terms with my suppliers.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:12 PM   #60
KNOBTAIL
MIKE, I dont know if this forum is the

place to discuss what the old days were. You can email me at : knobtail@aol.com But I will say this much. I was at one time the largest importer in the country. When I was in the trade, their were no CITIES, no LACY ACT to deal with, and Fish and Wildlife were only interested in mammal importation. I am talking about 1966. Everyone dealt with us because we controlled the complete importation of reptiles and amphibians (to the trade) from the continent of Africa. That did not include venomous snakes, although in many instances we allowed the shipping to certain businesses. Among those were buyers were people like BOB ROTH, TOM CRUTCHFIELD, HANK MOLT and several other people. I knew them almost 35 years ago give or take a couple of years.

I know the most of the people you mentioned as some were more collectors than importers. Clive Longdon, CC McClung, Buzz Pere (Gators of Miami) and so many others whom I dont even remember. You are right their are alot of stories to tell.

What we did however was unique to the industry. My business partners who were the only true exporters from Africa at the time were : Douglas Mueller from South Africa, Roger Ruval from West Africa and The Leakey Family from East Africa. They were my partners and sold exclusively to me. I brought in more species of reptiles and amphibians into the Pet trade than anyone. Because of the instability of these countries in Africa, my payments were made to Germany, England and here in the states. It was easy to get money into these countries, but very difficult to get these US funds out, so accounts were set up in Europe.

I had cut a deal with Pan Am, Sabina and Luft. because of the freight that we were moving, approximately 200 boxes per month. Thats an unbelievable amount of reptiles. We had a smart organization, and just as LA reptiles does today, we operated on a system of a heirarchy. As you indicated we were not concerned about sharing information because our arrangements were contractual with exporters back then. That is no longer feasable today with one exception that I know of. It paid to buy from us, just as it pays to buy from Chris. Basically the same philosophy.
As I indicated she was a young woman when she was buying from me. Do you know any of these people. Joe Berriduchi, Aldo Pessera, Alfred Ojeda, Sheffield Edwards, Blaze DeNatalie, Robbie Rosenberg, Mickey Jacobson, . Anyway send me an email and I shall forward some articles that Ive saved over the years. jerry

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!