1st eggs ever! totally un-egg-spected - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 02:27 AM   #21
AbsoluteApril
Thanks Angela, Tyler and Helen! It does feel great!

Check out #8, just came out this evening! pic with flash:

no flash:

Old 08-05-2010, 02:31 AM   #22
Utta
Very nice he's deff. A looker

Old 08-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #23
AbsoluteApril
Figured I would give a final update, total count that hatched - Nine!! whoohoo

I love babies! They are just so tiny and cute.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #24
AbsoluteApril
Out of the 9 total, 3 still have not taken a meal. I've mostly offered f/t mouse pinks, tried live once so far in the paper bag, will try live again this weekend. silly corns, eat darnit! haha

I was educated about corn morphs and told sunglows are just selective bred amels (I thought they were amel & hypo).. so these are not het hypo like I thought they were. oh well.

Figured I would share some updated pics of a couple (sorry for the #s, only way I can keep them straight). This one is a deeper richer red than the others and has nice tight motley circles. Possible keeper.

This is the fully striped motley and is a keeper for sure. Took a while to get going but has had 2 meals now:

Another that has a partial stripe:

Thanks for looking!

Old 10-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #25
OkeeteeMom
I sure would like to see/hear an update on your beautiful babies!

Old 10-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #26
AbsoluteApril
Sure!
Out of 9 babies, 3 didn't want to feed after trying many tricks. Finally 2 of those 3 took their first meal but still one holdout that refuses to feed which I will most likely euthanize. The rest are all doing great! 3 of them will be traded to another fauna member and I haven't decided if I'm going to keep that fully striped one or not. I don't have any new pics to share yet but will try to get some soon. Thanks for asking.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #27
BigTattoo
Your non feeder some tips.

I don't know if you've tried any of these tricks with difficult feeders but it's worth a try rather than euthanize.

Prepare a small deli cup by cutting some discs out of paper towel that will just fit in the cup.

Chicken broth. Buy some quality low sodium chicken broth with no MSG warm it up until quite hot in the microwave. Dip a F/T pinky in the broth and put the snake in a deli cup with a paper towel, then the pinky the cover the snake with a paper towel. Leave it for an hour. If it doesn't eat by then it won't. Go to trick two.

This trick is not for the squeamish. It's called braining. Use a sharp knife or razor and split open the skull of a pinky. Smear the brains and blood over the head and put in the deli cup with the paper towels like above.

Last trick. Mini brumation. Put the snake in a plastic shoe box with a small water bowl, a deli cup works well for this. Line the box with paper towel put in the snake and cover with more paper towel so it feels secure. Put this someplace cooler than room temperature preferably around 60-65* F for a few days. Then put it someplace even cooler 50-55*F for at least a month. Check on it weekly but keep it cool. If it's alive after a month then go 6 weeks. If it's still doing well then bring it back to warmer temps over the course of a few days until you have it up around 80-85*F on the hot end. Then try feeding it a very small pinky. Don't muck with it during this warm up period. Just check the box daily and be sure water is available at all times during this process. This often will get even the fussiest feeder to eat.

It's worth it to try these tricks with this baby as I'm sure in the future you will be having more eggs and babies to deal with and this is a good learning experience. Better than giving up and euthanizing this little guy.

Best of luck and BTW you have some beautiful little babies. Congrats.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #28
AbsoluteApril
The stubborn one just kept being stubborn. Tried a few more tricks, nothing. Fed everyone last night, and little one finally ate for the first time! I was shocked. Glad I kept giving him/her another chance.

I'm way overdue for some pictures, and since everyone ate last night, I just snapped a couple quick ones that I could:

This next one is going to head off to a fellow fauna member soon:

Their mom, Ruby, always comes out to see what's going on in the snake room:

She seems to be recovering very well:

Here is Citrine, the dad:

Thanks for looking!
-April

Old 11-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #29
Utta
1st, APWIWL!!!!!!!!!! *hug*

2nd, lookin good! i still like #8 the best though

Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #30
OkeeteeMom
Oh April, I'm SO happy for you and those lump-bellied scalebabies!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!