Rest in Peace, Sheffster - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Cat_72
Rest in Peace, Sheffster

Our beloved Bloodhound, Sheffield, passed away last weekend. I knew something was wrong when I walked in the room Saturday morning, and he didn't lift his head from his (brand new, orthopedic, faux lambswool covered) bed. He looked like he was still sleeping, but had peacefully gone to Rainbow Bridge.

He was only 8 years old....a ripe old age for a Bloodhound...but other than some old-man type creakiness in the cold weather, he had shown no signs of illness. We were caught off guard....so has been particularly hard to deal with, I guess.....it's just now sinking in. I keep waiting to hear him "sing" to me as soon as I pull in the yard from work.

We're having him cremated, and are going to spread his ashes out in the grove in the spring....his favorite place to track and chase critters, roll in the dirt, and generally make a slobbery filthy mess of himself, lol.

Bye Sheffy.........we miss you.
http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Old 02-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
The BoidSmith
Sorry to hear this Cathy. I know how you feel. No dog has replaced my ever loyal "Queen", it's too hard to see them go...Her picture is still on my fridge and on top of the fireplace with the rest of the family.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Jim O
Sorry for your loss Cathy. I know that you gave him a good life during his short time here.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Cat_72
Thank you, Dan and Jim.

It really helps to hear from other folks who understand just how much these critters are part of my family.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
ms_terese
Cathy, my heart breaks for you. I've been there, too many times. I hope it is some consolation to you to know that you gave Sheffster a wonderful life.

My sympathies to you and your family.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
It really helps to hear from other folks who understand just how much these critters are part of my family.
Dogs are children that never stop being kids. My oldest is a 14 year old Golden Retriever. She's been with us longer than our daughter has. She has some arthritis in her hind legs, had a toe off for a low grade malignancy, and has been on thyroid replacement for probably 10 years, but overall does fairly well. I know there aren't many 16 and 17 year old Goldens around, so her time left is short. Honestly I hope that when the time comes she goes just like Sheffy did, in her sleep. No doubt it would be a hard shock for us, like it was for you, but at least Sheffy most likely didn't suffer much if at all in the process.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
Dennis Hultman
Cathy, I'm so sorry for the loss. As others have stated, I'm sure he had a good life in your care.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
*hugs* Im so sorry cat... they are family, and its truly hard.

You know though, as sorry as it is for it to be SO sudden. you and him are lucky to not have gone through the process of knowing that "maybe his time has come"

He had a loving home, and from the sounds of it, spoiled rotten You gave him the best, and im sure he knew that. <3 Best Wishes

Old 02-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
Tere Salazar
Oh, Cathy. I'm so sorry.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 AM   #10
Cat_72
Thank you, Terese, Dennis, Alicia, Tere.

I am relieved that he passed so quickly, and apparently peacefully....we should all be so fortunate. But then, it always brings the question, if there WAS something we should have noticed wrong, some little thing we should have seen....but I know that does none of us any good now.

He WAS spoiled.....140 pounds of extra "cookies" and people food spoiled, lol. How could anyone say no to a face like that? We had gotten him slimmed down a bit, (perhaps 125 pounds)....but he was so hard to resist when he thought he was starving.....or we might be eating something better than him.....or there was anything that vaguely smelled like it might be edible. Silly dog.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!