I wanna know about the Jungle. - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #21
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Super or Homozygous, not Dominant. Dominant describes a relationship that a pair of genes have at any given locus. So does Recessive (hidden) and Co-Dominant (equally expressed).

Heterozygous means simply, the pair of genes at a given locus are not the same. This would be the normal Jungle. Homozygous means they are the same, and would be called Super or Homozygous.

Just FYI.

I'm fairly lousy at picking jungles unless they are blatantly obvious, so I can't offer much on picking a Super from a Het animal.
Thanks Rick. I got a little lazy with my typing. But, just as a correction from my end, isn't co-dominant an incorrect term? I always knew it to be incomplete dominant.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #22
JCCS
Co-dominant is misused, not really incorrect. Co-dominance is where two or more dominant genes are expressed in the same animal, like salmon jungle or some other combination.

Chris

Old 05-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #23
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS View Post
As far as your boa, Jeremy, it's just not a jungle. It looks more like a BCA cross. I've seen a chunk of animals with that "odd" pattern look, but the saddles aren't "chocolatey" like the true jungles posted, which is probably the biggest marker for jungles. I don't think that your boa is a jungle either, Steve, but I am not so dead certain.

Jeremy, I cannot tell you how much I commend you for using the correct terminology for the jungle gene in incomplete dominant instead of the usual misuse of co-dominant. I thank you, sir.

Chris
She came from a Jungle to Jungle breeding.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #24
SPJ
I don't think breeding this girl to a jungle male would prove she is a jungle.
If the odds bite the big one and there are no supers, any jungle offspring could theoretically be attributed to the jungle male.
IMO she would need to be bred to a non-jungle male and if jungles are produced, that would confirm her genetics.
I really hope this was not a super over priced normal.
The yellow dorsal color and the different side color appear to be Swedish line jungle traits. Plus the seller has a good reputation. Wouldn't be the first time I bought a super expensive pet.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #25
JCCS
Jeremy, I wasn't saying I even really thought that she was a BCA cross, just that she looked closer to that than a jungle.

Steve, to me, the only way to know for sure that she is a jungle would be to produce a super jungle offspring from her. If you bred her to a non-jungle, her babies would possibly be up for debate, if you have the super, there is no debate. With 25% of the litter theoretically being super, you'd have to have really bad odds to not get a super in a reasonable litter.

Chris

Old 05-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #26
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS View Post
Jeremy, I wasn't saying I even really thought that she was a BCA cross, just that she looked closer to that than a jungle.

Steve, to me, the only way to know for sure that she is a jungle would be to produce a super jungle offspring from her. If you bred her to a non-jungle, her babies would possibly be up for debate, if you have the super, there is no debate. With 25% of the litter theoretically being super, you'd have to have really bad odds to not get a super in a reasonable litter.

Chris
I understand. I just wanted to throw the parents out there.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #27
SPJ
That would mean getting a male jungle. UGH!

Old 05-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #28
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
She came from a Jungle to Jungle breeding.
Did you get to see litter pics? I assume there must have been supers but maybe not and that is why you asked about litters with no supers?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
I don't think breeding this girl to a jungle male would prove she is a jungle.
If the odds bite the big one and there are no supers, any jungle offspring could theoretically be attributed to the jungle male.
IMO she would need to be bred to a non-jungle male and if jungles are produced, that would confirm her genetics.
I really hope this was not a super over priced normal.
The yellow dorsal color and the different side color appear to be Swedish line jungle traits. Plus the seller has a good reputation. Wouldn't be the first time I bought a super expensive pet.
That would suck tremendously ... While she is a pretty animal I wouldn't have risked it because the reverse striping removes pretty much all evidence of her being a Jungle. I know her color is great, but I have seen some awesome colored normals. Without getting it from the breeder with pics of the litter and sire and dam, I would have my doubts.

But I agree with Chris on pairing her with a Jungle male.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #30
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
Did you get to see litter pics? I assume there must have been supers but maybe not and that is why you asked about litters with no supers?
I actually did not ask about litter mates, just about the parents. The original buyer purchased her at a show a while back so she doesn't remember. The reason I asked about these litters with no supers is because this year will be my first year going for jungles, I had expected my jungle breedings to end up like my hypo breedings, I was pretty confident on what to expect. Then I started seeing all of these litters being posted with no supers and thought maybe I was missing something.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!