My Blood Boa is broken - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #11
hhmoore
Just came across this, Rick...and I wish I hadn't. Any chance the female could have broken him during her rampaging?
Hope whatever it is resolves, AND that he got the job done before whatever happened happened.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #12
crotalusadamanteus
Her injuring him in some way is initially what came to mind. He's quite a bit smaller then her, but not any smaller then Sammy was with Aurora.

I just can't fathom how though. The only thing in the viv that could be considered hard, or non-flexible, would be the water bowl. Perhaps she pinched his tail up against the side of the viv. ???? I just can't see anything else in there, given how flexible they are, that could actually cause harm somehow.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #13
smilts
Man I hope everything works itself out, thats beautiful snake. I know you must ahve been looking forward to offspring. GoodLuck with everything.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
jrbannister0726
From the way you describe it and the photos Im inclined to beleive it is a musculoskeletal injury from breeding. The fact that continuous motion eventually straightens the tail back out almost to its normal place of rest and then stopping results in the "s" shape returning makes me think stressed/strained ligament, tendon, and/or muscle. If it has something to do with bone you can listen for crepitation which is the sound of bone on bone that shouldn't be touching(simple or complex fracture) or (stress fracture from over exerction: very small typically and dont always show up on x-ray). It will be faint due to the size of the bones but if its there you will hear it. Im not a vet, but i do have some decent experience with mechanisms of injury and musculoskeletal injuries. (marines love to do crazy/stupid stuff and then i have to fix em) lol

Old 11-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
crotalusadamanteus
When I get with the doctor on Sunday I'll make sure to bring that up. We use doplar to locate the heart whenever I have blood work done on them, so I'm sure it would pick up any crepitation better then our ears.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #16
Helenthereef
I'm no vet but maybe he has a pinched nerve? Just chucking it in to the general pot of ideas... he maybe holds it funny because it hurts, then relaxes as he moves?

Old 11-15-2011, 06:48 AM   #17
crotalusadamanteus
Actually, motoring around the cage does not correct the issue. I didn't mean to give that impression. The kinky looking shape is there until I straighten it out, then it will return once he moves. When his tail does that curl over, that's when moving around seems to let it uncurl.

Pinched nerve does make sense since I have observed him once or twice wiggling his tail, and looking like he was trying to bury the tip into the substrate, sorta like a scorpion stings. But this behavior has only been witnessed a couple times, then stopped.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #18
Matt2979
I'm really sorry to hear about this. I hope it turns out to be a simple remedy; at the very least, I hope it's reversible! Would hate to see this--anything for that matter--cause another good guy to go away. Seems everyday that the percentage of good guys vs bad guys is growing in the wrong direction. Best of luck with him!!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #19
Helenthereef
Any news?

Old 11-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #20
crotalusadamanteus
Doctor returns Sat, scheduled to meet him at the emergency center on Sunday. Until then, I am to observe. And I observe no change.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!