first time Hogg Island Boa Breeder - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #21
hadenglock
You could try contacting your local herp vet for DNA testing, though i dont think it will get you anywhere since hogg island boas are still classifieds as Boa Constrictor Imperator just like the common colombian red tail. The only way to really tell is if you have a record of blood lines from which you've gotten the pair from and even then their "pureness" is still up to the people who are buying and selling them.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #22
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
Thank you for the helpful input.
I'll be talking to the guy I got them from tomorrow.

Regardless, she's beautiful huh?
I wish I knew what they were.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #23
JCCS
Just to add to what everyone else said. Your boas appear to be part Hog Island, but whatever they are, they are most certainly not pure Hogs. No DNA test needed. About DNA testing of that nature, there is only one person that can do that in the country that I know of. I don't think boa DNA ranks really high on most people's priorities lists.

Anyway, my advice to you would be to keep your boas as pets and as a bit of a lesson into educating yourself about purchases before making them. I hate that you got taken in that way but breeding those boas would really not get you anywhere.

Chris

Old 11-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #24
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
They are seriously worth nothing?!
How can this be possible?
Paid 300 for them. . .

Old 11-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #25
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
Say they were hogs mixed with some red tail morph, would they still be worthless? How can I at the very least make my money back?

Old 11-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #26
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
Asdfghjkl.
I'm screwed.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #27
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
Where does all the bright orange on these two come from?

Old 11-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #28
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
Also, who knows how their babies will turn out, might have some that look closer to original hogs, no?

Old 11-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #29
ShadowAceD
The color comes from the Hog influence, but it does not make them Hogs.

They are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them.

300.00 for a pair of adult, breedable Hogs is one of those "too good to be true" sort of things though. Quality adult Hogs will sell for more than that.

The ONLY Colombian x Hog pairing that is "worth" something is the Sunset or Sunrise. Damian Salgado of D&M Breeders coined this term when taking two Hypo Hog Islands (Hypo x Colombian crosses) and breeding them together to make Super Hypo Hog Islands which were, in turn, called Sunsets. The Sunrise are the Albino variation of these animals.

However, your boas are already crosses, and from unknown stock, so I am not sure that is a route you could go. It would be long and expensive anyway, seeing as if you bred a Hypo to one of your crosses, the percentage of Hog Islands would drop further.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #30
PrismaSandBoaMorphs
If I wanted to breed them, do you have any suggestions?
Should I breed the pair together to chance getting more that look like hogs? Or should I breed them both with other BCI to make something?
Either way I want babies, which would be the best route to go with these two snakes?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, hogg island boa