????sunsets???? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
extreme_bci
Ok here are few pics for you guys. Like I said, there will have to be more breedings to find everthing out (but I will not be the one doing that, I will leave that for someone else).

Super Hypo Sonora (Not my Pic)

And then here is my Holdback Hog Island boa from my 05 litler. You see anything that looks alike?

This info has come from afew different people. Me and a good firend has talked about it many times. I will post some other pics on what I'm talking about with the Hog Island boa littler alittle later.

Ok so If I'm wrong, then you tell me what a sunset is?

Here is afew people that agree with me that Hog Island boas are true Hypos.

http://www.cuttingedgeherp.com/boaco...erator&UID=114

I'm not to sure yet why some one will get only 1/2 hypo to a col. hypo to a Hog Island breeding or even to a Hog Island boas to a Hog Island boa breeding.

Did you guys see the Hog Island peruvian cross babbies? They are not showing to much of the blone phase Hypo is beacuse that is an F1 offspring. You breed F1 babbies back to each other then you will see the blond phase hypo poppping back up.

So there still is alot of info to still find out of this.

Thanks, Josh

Old 09-06-2006, 01:17 PM   #12
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boa4u
There will have to be more breeding to know more about this.

Quote:
A "col. hypo" x "hogg hypo" would yield 100% hypos. If you are referring the outcome from my 07/03 litter please note that I said that the sire was a Hogg not a "hogg hypo".
Actually, with boas, a hypo x hypo would yield 25% supers, 50% hypos, and 25% normals (statistically speaking, of course). To better understand that, it helps to look at them in recessive trait terms. The homozygous form is the super and the heterozygous form is the hypo. In this case, though, we are dealing with a trait in which the hets are visibly different from the normals. Now, calculate the results via Punnett square or the genetics wizard of your choice to find the answer

Old 09-06-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
extreme_bci
Sorry did not mean to post the same link 2 times. Here is the other one.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #14
hhmoore
lol - that makes 3 times...and nowhere in that passage does it state that hog island boas are hypomelanistic (genetically, or otherwise).

Keep in mind, Josh, I was just asking for citations of where you got your information, not declaring you wrong. (I was pretty careful about my phrasing, just to be sure that the distinction was clear)

Old 09-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #15
extreme_bci
LOL here is the other link.

http://www.boa-constrictors.com/com/com.html

I have talk about this with afew good friends of mine and pretty much that is what we put together but they are more into all this beacuse I do not cross my Hog Island boas with any else. So I will talk to them and see if I left any thing out.

Thnaks, Josh

Old 09-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #16
extreme_bci
Dang link. just go under Hog Island boas after you click into the link.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #17
Boa4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Actually, with boas, a hypo x hypo would yield 25% supers, 50% hypos, and 25% normals (statistically speaking, of course). To better understand that, it helps to look at them in recessive trait terms. The homozygous form is the super and the heterozygous form is the hypo. In this case, though, we are dealing with a trait in which the hets are visibly different from the normals. Now, calculate the results via Punnett square or the genetics wizard of your choice to find the answer
So are you saying that if you breed 2 hypo boas together that you will statistically have 25% normal looking boas? That was not the way that it was taught to me. I was taught that you would get all hypo looking babies, a percentage of which, would be supers. That is what I meant by all hypos without further detailing of the supers because to my eye, a hypo and a super hypo are both hypomelanistic.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #18
extreme_bci
Just think of it just like the hypo's are a visual het for super. Or just like with motley. You breed to hypos together you will get 25% super 50% hypo (Het for super) 25 normal just like when breed het albinos. Het to het is 25% albino 50% het and 25 % normal but the only thing is you can't tell the diffrence on the normals and the hets. Becuese they are not a visual het unless you are Jeff Ronne. LOL

Old 09-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #19
hhmoore
Josh, that might be the problem - discussing something among friends, regardless of how sure you might be of the logic of what you are saying, does not make it fact. (I'm not saying it makes it wrong, just that you need to be careful what you present as fact without being able to back it up. I have had many such discussions myself, and have some of my own theories to prove/disprove)

That said, I will say that I have had some discussions on the topic of hog island boas being hypomelanistic. Certainly, they exhibit a lack of melanin - no argument there...but that does not necessarily mean that this form of hypomelanism is genetically transferred in the same way as with salmons (switching to the brand name to avoid confusion, since both are BCI). I won't deny that it could be because, as you said, more breedings must be done to prove it one way or the other.

It does also appear to present the possibility that the "blonde" and "salmon" forms of hypomelanism are not the same, but can possibly be combined. Again, I haven't been looking recently, but I have not seen anything on this. The blonde phase could be a hypo in the genetic morph sense, or simply a product of selective breeding like pastels. Time, no doubt, will tell

Old 09-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #20
hhmoore
Quote:
Ok so If I'm wrong, then you tell me what a sunset is?
I think your explanation was perhaps overly complex, and included a component that, in my mind, is unproven. Perhaps this explanation will work better for Vinny:
in crossing a salmon (hypo) boa with a hog island boa, you get mixed lineage animals (such restraint, lol) - half of which will show the salmon trait. These "hypo/hogs" are called sunset crosses. Breeding a sunset cross x sunset cross will produce sunsets (supers), sunset crosses (hypos), and "normals". Going back to my previous explanation, sunsets would be the homozygous form and sunset crosses (or hypo/hogs) the heterozygous form

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!