One eyed albino boa, should I kill him? - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Kill it, or keep as a non breeder/pet
Keep as a pet 112 88.89%
kill it! 14 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2006, 01:16 PM   #81
The BoidSmith
Quote:
I am not claiming that vitamin A deficiency is the one and only source of various congenital problems in snakes. I just think vitamin A deficiency should go on the list of POSSIBLE causes that need testing.
You can discard that one upfront. Vitamin A defficiency in animals that eat whole prey is very unlikely. The best source for vitamin A is the liver of the prey and there's plenty there. Even assuming that the dam is vitamin A defficient would not be likely as the first "symptom" is that they will not breed.

Regards.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:11 AM   #82
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
You can discard that one upfront. Vitamin A defficiency in animals that eat whole prey is very unlikely.
Unless there was an issue with their ability to metabolize it.

The thing is though, regardless of the specific mechanism that's causing the deformity, it is definitely found in a greater concentration in the Khal strain albinos than in other lines or the larger population. This pretty directly indicates a genetic cause on some level- be it a direct one related to the formation of the eyes during the incubation or a secondary one where the animals are predisposed towards an underlying problem that just manefests most visibly in the deformities.

It *could* be a vitamin A deficiency, but if it is, then it's a physiological one, not a product of diet or environment.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #83
paulh
A zinc deficiency affects vitamin A metabolism.

Or some other vitamin/mineral deficiency could be involved. It's well known that breeding females of all species have greater needs than nonbreeders. A female could be on the right side of the borderline if not breeding but on the wrong side when producing young.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #84
Mokele
Quote:
It's well known that breeding females of all species have greater needs than nonbreeders. A female could be on the right side of the borderline if not breeding but on the wrong side when producing young.
But that holds true for both normal and albino animals, and therefore doesn't explain the different rate of birth defect between the two.

Henry

Old 01-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #85
Slithering Serpents
Ever see a one eyed non-albino boa constrictor?

Please answer folks.

I haven't. If it was a vitamin deficiency it would be spread throughout the whole species.

Caden Chapman

Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #86
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithering Serpents
Admittedly a few. One eyed, no eyed and with eye deformities or issues... but far fewer both proprtionally and in flat numbers than I have seen or been informed (as in- seen advertised or photographed) of with similar problems in kahl strain albinos.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #87
ericfire
can we please kill this thread ,i cant be the only one tired of seeing it
no offense in any direction please but
my goodness i think it rans its course 10 pages ago
lol

all in good fun
Eric

Old 01-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #88
crotalusadamanteus
It's pretty easy to "unsubscribe" to a thread.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #89
ericfire
oh i know its always on the top of the list is what i meant
lol
i just cant believe there is this much talk over it

Old 01-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #90
Metachrosis
Without "excessive" drama there wouldnt be any "forum" content
Regardless of the forum subject/context
BUT !!!!!
From where it started to where it is now ....... another thread could have been started and the "KILL Snake" thing would have long since faded into the archives.

So !! ..........

M/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!