Am I wrong Here??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
PAUL BOLLINGER
Am I wrong Here???

Alright here's a little background. I traded Jeremy Coates (Exotic Gems Reptiles) a pair of red Pygmies for a pair of 2yr old La. Pine Snakes. Deal went great, loved the snakes but I was in the midst of my southern hognose kick so I decided to sell them on KS. Well this was the week of Fathers day 2003. Earl Turner responded to my e-mail and we agreed on the price of 375.00 plus shipping. I didn't have money in hand but went ahead and shipped so that he would have them on father's day. Monies were received and both parties were satisfied. Then out of the blue a week ago I get an e-mail from Earl stating that the pines turned out to be two males. I never sexed them when I recieved them from Jeremy so I accepted full responsibility and even after over three years I have offered to buy them back for the original price plus shipping costs and I'd even pay to have the animals sent to me. Our friendship has failed for a list of other reasons but I feel as if I'm being lied to again Am I being unreasonable? What's everyones opinion? Here are the e-mails that have gone back and fourth over the past week.

Here is the initial e-mail:
Hi--the "pair" of Louisiana Pine Snakes which Anna bought from you for my Father's Day Gift turned out to be two MALES----can you obtain a female in exchange for one of the males ???? I would appreciate help in this matter as they were purchased as a sexual pair for the specific reason of breeding--Thanks, Earl H. Turner----How are you and your son ?

I didn’t send a cc to my sent file but I told him the story and offered to refund his money even after more than 3 three years. This was his reply:

Forget it....if you ever see a female for sale, please let me know and I will buy it. Are you still in Slidell ? We moved and live in the Texas Hill Country about 63 miles NW of San Antonio. The Del Rio area was really getting bad w/drugs and alien smuggling....caught three myself and called BP on them. The Mesicans are completely over running this Country. Wherever they are in numbers----crime goes up and drugs are everywhere. They come here expecting a free ride and we can't even help true Americans !!!! What are you keeping now ? any hognose or venomous ? Keep in touch, Anna and Earl

I didn’t reply to this e-mail as I knew where our friendship stood and he chose to keep the pines.
Then I get another:

Paul---Anna is somewhat tee-d off about the snakes....she and my Daughters went together to purchase this pair for a Father's Day Gift. I would appreciate your offer to purchase them...however, I would hope that the price of 600.00 doesn't sound unfair---both snakes are quite large--5 to 6 ft.+, quite heavy bodied and drop dead gorgeous.....The additional monies is for feeding, management and care and shipping costs to me in Del Rio. I appreciate your honesty and would not ask you for a refund but this past Monday, the MD's discovered that I, once again have Cancer !! Consequently, I am going to need all the funds I can collect....Take care and give that boy a hug for us, Anna and Earl

I told earl that I would not pay such an inflated price. I also asked him to quit pretending to be my friend. That he had done me wrong in the past and that life was too short to not call a spade a spade. I still offered to refund his money since I still accept responsibility. It doesn’t make me look good when I sell a mis-sexed snake but I will do my best to remedy the situation. I told him that I didn’t respect the fact that he reversed shipping charges then lied to me about it when I questioned him on a previous deal. I have caught him in soo many lies that I can’t even stand talking to him. Continuing on….

To email Earl H. Turner, you can use this online form:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...er&userid=4952

OR, by email:
mailto:chihuahuan@delrio.com

This is the message:
Jan 13 2005
Anna and I thought you had fallen off the face of the earth....We are in the process of moving to western Mexico ! The house is on the market, I have sold the majority of my collection and I am presently selling my library of books. I have lost interest in maintaining a live collection, although, I will keep a few favorites.....too many places to go and things to do....you can't do this with a large collection. Since, you will not hear from me any more, I want to wish you
and your family the best of everything and really enjoyed your short-lived friendship........Adios, Earl H. turner

Funny how there is no mention of me owing him anything. that is simply another lie on his part.

>From: GRINGODEVIL@aol.com
>To: cbherper@hotmail.com
>Subject: Re: male Louisiana Pinesnakes
>Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 20:55:37 EDT
>
>
>
>en is Paul going to visit...she ask today for a photo of you'llI don't plan
>to get into a heated argument w/you--serves no purpose...don't forget the
>money given to you specificallyt for the transportation which never was
>completed nor was the money returned. After you left, we heard nothing from until
>you decided to call and advise us of the tragic and untimely passing of Andrea.
> You really need to get your head on straight...you damn sure owe this to
>your son and Andrea. We tried to be your friend and you shit on us...Paul...I
>am truly sorry that you feel the way you do to.. Did you ever think
>(probably not) that people get upset when they call many times and you didn't even
>have the common decency to return the call(s). Believe it or not, we were
>worried about your well being w/the hurricanes,etc. I wrote you the e-mail when
>we actually were planning on going to Mexico....Anna's Mother's health has
>delayed this. The mention of "short termed friendship" is true....you want to
>be friends when it fits your needs and fancy......I caught onto that part of
>your act after the last time you were our "guest" along w/ that other guy
>Sam or whatever. Your used us--our home, our food,etc. Well, we all change
>---sometimes for the good --other times, not so good !!!! I don't want Anna to
>even read the hate you have for people who at one time cared about you ( Anna
>thinks the world of you and I will not destroy her thoughts. I really don't
>see any point trying to send the snakes back----hell, you never refunded us
>the owed money for the transportation to Ralph Latapie and that has been a
>while...just throwing good money after bad....Someday, you will grow up---or at
>least I hope so...you owe to your departed wife and your son. At any
>rate---have a great life--Be sure to leave us out of it as there are too many good
>folks to have as friends--we sure as hell don't need a backstabbing person who
>won't pay debts.....Love, Earl
>

My response:

Earl,
Only part of your email came through.

From my perspective I offered to make the original deal right - even though it was over 3 (three) years from the original exchange. Your response was to attempt to take advantage of me by charging well over and above any resonable fee. (Attempt to find anyone that would offer to make a deal right THREE YEARS after the fact - how do I even know that you have the same snakes?) I'll be checking with Ralph Latapie regarding any debt you feel I may owe him - I was unaware of any arrangement you may have made with him regarding me, but I will sort it out. Although it makes no sense to me, I have his address and will be contacting him to re-afirm any deal I HAD WITH HIM.

One last thing - how dare you bring into any conversation my wife and son? Neither of them were any part of this business deal, and they are none of your business or concern. You have absolutely no right to invoke their name or memory. I would caution you to never do that again.

From what I was able to read its obvious that life has gotten the best of you and you are nothing more than a bitter, tired old man. It is sad to see. I wish you luck in your cancer battle. I have seen first hand how painful and debilitating that can be, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Reagrds,
Paul

>Subject: Re: male Louisiana Pinesnakes and Daddy Paul's B.S.
>Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 00:18:27 EDT
>
>Paul---Their names in my part of this conversation were not done
>w/anyderogatory meaning...My wife and I thought a great deal of respect and love for
>Andrea; secondly, we hold the same feeling for the little boy and am saddened by
>the fact that he will grow up never really knowing what a wonderful person
>his Mother was........I know this feeling, as my Father was mortally injured
>hours after he delivered me (he was a MD) He died when I was 6 days old. Anna
>loved Andrea and you so much that she wove a beautiful baby blanket for your
>Son and Andrea. No one even took the time to write a card of thanks to
>her.. what the hell, is your damn arm broken; are you afraid to call and be a
>friend---you are really full of yourself. As far as my being a bitter old man,
>bullshit ,etc----I have been totally sober for over a year, lost a great deal
>of weight , finished and received my Ph.D. in Zoology two years ago and
>will be teaching advanced univ. courses at SWT. Univ. I just returned from a
>collecting trip to the SW and collected lutosis, nuntius , abyssus
>,viridis--unusual pattern and color and I maintain one hell of a Crotalid collection
>including many extremely rare montane forms and also am having a novel published
>by Bantam....oh, now what in the hell have you been doing daddy ???? At any
>rate, I sincerely think before you start the old man bullshit--you need to
>take a look at yourself----what in the hell have you ever accomplished except
>being proficient at spending other peoples money and screwing people out of
>their monies ----people who trusted your knowledge and expertise--yea, two
>male LPSnakes, etc. !---Don't bother replying or calling,etc...this is on
>bridge you have burned.... `See you around (never) Sonny. Love, to your son from
>both my wife and I, Your friend, Earl

Earl,
You are one of the most accomplished liars I have ever met. I went against the better judgments of a few seasoned herpers after you befriended me. I guess I had to touch fire to know it was hot. I've been sooo wrong to you in the past ummmm lets see, 3 FREE southern Hognose, 1 FREE abarrant patterned Southern Copperhead, FREE corn snakes, and for what a bunch of grade b WC animals, promises of Gabboon vipers for me and a pair for Sam or whatever his name was. By-the-way he thanks you for the laugh.
Perhaps my service to this country for 8 years of my life fell short of any REAL accomplishments like you flying for the CIA in Vietnam smuggling heroin or whatever for air America. Or how about running from the federallies during artifact smuggling "I was like Indiana Jones" Yeah you still are, lol. Anyway, this has been comical. I will not write my experience with you off as a loss anymore than I would write off going to the movies as a loss. I think the best one I have heard is Trimorphidon turneri The Texas Liar (lyre) snake, Yeah I thought it was witty too. As much as I would love to continue this, I feel as if I am giving you the ability to spin more and more lies I do not want to enable you. I hope sobriety is not disappointing when you finally realize the wake of people you have hurt in the past. Hey BTW when your book comes out, any chance I could get a signed copy? Make it out to “My gullible friend Paul”. I bet Lamar and Campbell are going to be so envious of your contributions to the herp community. LOL. Well Daddy has to tend to his young. It may not sound glamorous to someone with your background but Damn it feels good.
Paul

Anyway I’d advise against doing business with Earl Turner. If he’s willing to rip a friend off then he’s the lowest of the low. I know that there are a few of you out there that have had similar dealings with him.

Any advise on this situation would be appreciated.
Paul Bollinger

Old 08-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
PAUL BOLLINGER
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...307#post417307

Please state your case....

>Subject: Re: male Louisiana Pinesnakes and Daddy Paul's B.S.
>Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 11:56:50 EDT
>
>Paul--lets end this--I thought Anna and I were generous hosts, opened our
>home to you and your family and even your friends. We fed you, let you come in
>at all hours and this deal of my lying , your lying is a bunch of BS. We are
>truly sorry for the tragic loss which you suffered and admire you for raising
>your son as a single parent. As far as why you blew up the way you did
>really caught us by surprise. All you had to do is say I will not pay this much
>for the LPS....instead, you (thank God) showed your true colors. Someday,
>you will regret this as friends are damn hard to find---and we considered you a
>friend. I have a question for you---you GAVE me free snakes (most of which
>were ill) which I reciprocated for with healthy ones---do you remember the RL
>Tarantula episode --you were scammed by some person in NY. I gave you a
>specimen to make up for your loss--why, because your we a friend....I am really
>becoming tired of this stale converstion . Irregardless of what you and the
>"gossiping girls" say, I have never-nor will I say anything derogatory about
>you...I do not bad mouth unless face to face....I guess it boils down to
>CAJONES--which most of the so-called herpetocultrists don' have. Remember this,
>as long as people talk---that means you are on their mind and/or of interest.
> I never heard of you before we met and I have never heard of you since... I
>sincerely don't care what people say--this group is the world's worst about
>gossip and will be your best friend (ie, you) face to face. It is not who
>you are in this crappy group but what can you do for me--right Paul ???? You
>need to grow up and I know you will suceed. I let Anna read the HATE you
>E-mailed us and she is upset as she really thought the world of you'll. This is
>the end of correspondence--- I want the best for you , the great remebrance of
>Andrea and your Son and I hope someday that you realize that peoples
>friendship is a worthwhile aspect of life----FRIENDS AND FAMILY----thats what life
>is --not HATE--which your heart is apparently filled with....Buena Suerte, the
>Turner's

WoW

Old 08-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
PAUL BOLLINGER
this just in....

Report Junk E-Mail
Report and Block Sender

Sign in
Sign out

New Instant Message
Add Messenger Contacts
Messenger Options

Sent : Sunday, August 6, 2006 11:08 AM
To : cbherper@hotmail.com
Subject : Goobye

| | | Inbox

Goodbye--I will delete any correspondence from you as I have stated my last word on the subject..............

Old 08-06-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
Wilomn
I made a similar mistake with some snakes a few years ago. It turned out to be two females instead of males, but the end result is the same, the guy who bought them to breed them, couldn't.

I was going to send the guy a free baby male when I hatched out another clutch, this was 2 or 3 years after he originally purchased from me, but he instead sold them back to me for slightly more than he paid for them.

early should have checked. You should have checked. Crap happens but I KNOW you did not do anything underhanded and I am quite sure, after years of reading your posts, that it went down pretty much the way you say it did.

Let it go.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
PAUL BOLLINGER
Thumbs up Fair Enough

Thanks Wes

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!