Bad Guy Jay of Franken Chams - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:35 PM   #31
Tortugas
Not knowing a lot about Chemilians, it seems like the damage should heal, and maybe that discoloration will disappear with time and sheds. Also, if it is not moving, would it try to eat a magnet? Just asking.

Bill

Old 06-22-2014, 12:30 AM   #32
hhmoore
Please describe how you were told to assemble the cage.
And explain how the chameleon came to not only try to eat one magnet, but subsequently got 2 more attached from the outside (one on each side). The problem I am having with your story is that, if the magnets were attached to something, it seems highly unlikely that the chameleon could have pulled the first loose to get it "lodged within his dewlap" then managed to get (not one, but) two more magnets attached externally.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:34 AM   #33
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidous View Post
I won't entertain that with a response.Read the contents of the vet invoice. After my follow up appointment I will post additional pics as further verification.
The vet was not present at the time of injury. If he/she offers an opinion on the nature of the injury, that would be a professional opinion; if he/she offers an opinion on how it happened it holds no more weight than any of our opinions.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #34
Jay Sick
lucile the vet is not a designer i am and i assure you her opinion on how the magnet got in the cage will favor vincent cause he just spent however much supposed unneeded money with her. The thing that is funny is i tell all my customers to call me rite away if ever a issue i may not have a degree but if i had to say what i am closest to being a professional at it is cham health and anatomy.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:00 AM   #35
kdreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidous View Post
HYPOTHETICALLY If a company designs a baby crib and the screws aren't designed to be secure enough in a joint...in one freak accident a baby manages to get one loose, swallows it and chokes. Is the baby at fault? Are the parents who followed directions at fault? Is the screw at fault? The company is. And from that point on is responsible.
Woops! Externalizing blame is a hard habit to squelch. There IS such thing as a "nobody's fault" situation. Also, it sounds like this might have happened due to your own faulty assembly of the cage, not of the seller. If IKEA were responsible for buyer's troubles with assembly, there would be no more IKEA.

Vet bills hurt, you will be remorseful of the $630 hole in your pocket for awhile, but the seller doesn't appear responsible in this situation.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #36
Raidous
I will repeat myself again because maybe not all viewers are reading all of my posts. The external damage does NOT seem to be THAT severe and I trust that with sheddings it will look better. Whether it scars or not I don't really care. The primary concern I have is the damage done within his dewlap to his TONGUE and throat muscles because he is NOT eating normally. He will NOT shoot is tongue out. He attempted once for a cricket and then withdrew his tongue and moved forward to attempt bite at it (which didn't work). Some of the magnets given to me I used to bind the green perches together in a grid like design as verbally directed at purchase. And not warned to not to do. From my observation there is a visibly weaker magnetic pull between the individual round magnets and the perches, making it easier to remove a round magnet from a perch than a round magnet from a round magnet. This fault in design MAY have been to blame. I repeat I am uncertain. And to further explain the circumstances. He had eaten 1 magnet. The strength of it attracted 2 additional magnets. 1 clamping onto either side of his dewlap from the OUTSIDE trapping the internal magnet and binding the 3 together. As said after my follow up appointment I will get the vet's description and the second invoice posted here. Please read my previous posts before commenting or replying, I was very precise and thorough with my descriptions of the chameleon's situation and that at the vet. I also find it sort of amusing that not many readers have expressed any concern or empathy for the health or future of the animal victim himself. This posting is a warning of dangerous possibility that could happen with a cage of this magnetic concept. I won't argue my point further seeing that there is no need to. I will merely post after I receive the future documents.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #37
kerrek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
Vincent, I don't believe that your cham ate a magnet. every cham I ever owned needed a visual stimulus to feed such as a crawling or moving insect.
If a feeder was crawling over the magnet and he got the magnet instead of the feeder he'd eat it assuming he had the strength to pull it off. I have also had chams just chew on things in their cage. Mine have an affinity for zip ties they will go up and just start chewing on the square locking part. So far I've never had an issue with it but if one of them broke it could be trouble. No Idea how this happened but sounds like a freak accident.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #38
LauraB
Quote:
every cham I ever owned needed a visual stimulus to feed such as a crawling or moving insect.
Have you never had a cham eat a stationary live plant in an enclosure? Mine have. All of them. It is not an absolute that a cham must have visual stimulus to shoot.

Vincent, you did post a shot of the vet bill that substantiated an emergency visit, sedation and the removal of an oral foreign object; the bruises on the throat and neck seem to jive with the size of the magnet you posted.

Do you have a photo of the cham with the 2 magnets attached to either side of his dewlap? Seems to me the first thing I would have done would be to take a shot of that cham to give credence to that very rare and almost unbelievable scenario. I mean, you took the "after" shots; how about the "before" shots?

Old 06-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #39
Jay Sick
Again i will ask that every google rare earth neodymium magnets and look how powerful the smallest size they make is and then look at the size of one in question the cham would need to be the incredible hulk of chameleons

Old 06-23-2014, 02:39 AM   #40
hhmoore
Jay - since the OP doesn't seem to want to address my question, would you tell how you instructed him to assemble the cage? I'm specifically interested in what you told him regarding placement of the magnets.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!