Ackie temperature questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-13-2005, 11:28 PM   #1
ElLiOtT
Ackie temperature questions

I will soon be getting an ackie monitor, but I have some questions on my heating. First of all I have a GE 45 watt outdoor floodlight for the basking spot. I will be starting the juvie ackie/s off in a 55gallon. With just the basking bulb would this give me the temperature gradient I would need? or would i need a ceramic reptile heater bulb?

Also I will be getting ReptiSun 10.0 UVB bulbs for the UVB needs. I do know though these produce no heat, just the essentials needed for the animal to sythesize Vitamin D3.

Thanks

Old 12-14-2005, 12:09 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
Quote:
With just the basking bulb would this give me the temperature gradient I would need? or would i need a ceramic reptile heater bulb?
There's really no way to answer this question other than to tell you to set it up and check the temps to see.
There are several variables involved in getting the temperature where you need it. The ambient temperature of the room will have an effect and how close your basking area is to the light will too.
Placement of the light will make a big difference in the overall gradient. If it's on one end then the other is likely to be very cool whereas if it's in the middle the ends will probably not get as low.
In my current ackie setup I use a 65 watt flood light to get the basking temps up to 130-140. I have had to use 90 watt lights in previous setups. What you use will depend on your specific situation.

As an aside, if you're getting hatchlings then I'd suggest not starting them out in a 55. That's a little too much area for them to effectively hunt in at that small size.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
ElLiOtT
Thanks for your help.

We usually keep our house at 70 during the day while we are home, but when we are gone we usually turn the thermostat down to around 60 degrees.

Also I will be getting juvie ackies which will prolly be around 8-12" or so

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!