better than I expected - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-26-2005, 01:13 AM   #1
akaangela
better than I expected

Today I got my first ball. I was so excited. She is exqusit and is 295g and seems to be at least 2.5ft long. She only took about 9 hrs to settle in and is now exploring her new home with gusto. She is in a 55gallon tank 48x13x20 with 4 different hides and a water dish. It is 92.5 in the basking spot and 78 on the cold side. I messed up and got a regular basking light so she will have to have light on all night (tomorrow I am going to get a night basking light, red one) I have heating tape on the way (but the light is seeming to make it a good temp) and a thermostat on its way as well. I need to get the humidity up a bit more it is at 45% will she be ok with that for a short time? Do you think she is stressed, is that why she is roaming? I have mice that I am breeding on the counter next to her, do you think she knows they are there? Am I teasing her if she can? I don't want to feed her yet as she just got here. THanks

Old 01-26-2005, 02:21 AM   #2
ladyserpent7
yah youre right feeding her wouldnt be a good idea. she prob. just roaming cuz she wants to check out her surroundings. Congrats though, bp are really beautiful snakes, but you better be careful. they are soo moody and they stress out really easy. Its like they have a multiple personality or something. In my opinion leave her alone for about a week, and then start handling her. That way she... or he wont stress out, cuz if they do, your gonna have some trouble. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2005, 11:48 PM   #3
BryonsBoas
The 55 gallon might be a little big

I generally start my balls in a tighter fitting cage. Balls seem to like smaller cages till they get bigger. I don't move mine into bigger cages until they've really outgrown the one they're in unless they are extremely great feeders.The multiple hides might help in keeping her from feeling uncomfortable tho but if she gets stressed or doesn't feed then try a 20 gallon long for awhile.Good luck with the new ball , sounds like your moving in the right direction getting together the right equipment.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:21 AM   #4
akaangela
Hope I didnt mess up

I went to see what she was doing tonight and she was on her chair (I have a plant stand in the shape of a wooden chair). She surprised me as I didnt expect her to be there and didnt see her, she blended right into it. Tonight was mice cage cleaning time. I have a few that dont get along with anyone so they are in seprate cages. I threw one in her cage to see if she was interested. The mouse ran by her and she did nothing. I cleaned the mouses cage (while watching it run around, it took me a whole minute to clean the cage) I looked up and the mouse and snake where nose to nose. I wish I had my camera ready. Then WHAM faster than I could blink she was on the mouse and promptly ate it. I figgured she would run right back into her hide, but she is still out. The mouse was small so I hope everything will be ok. She dosent seem stressed at all.

I offered the little ball one also (thinking if she ate maybe he would also). I put the mouse in and it ran around. My boy ball was in his hide and I didnt think he would do aything. The mouse stuck its head in the hide once and nothing. The second time the mouse did it the entire box shuddered then went still. No mouse came out, no sounds came out. So I figger he ate it.

Both balls made the mice dissapear in less than a minute (and yes I was watching all the time ready to get the mouse out if it tried to hurt the snakes).

The only one that really scared me was my corn. He was hiding and I put a mouse in and had to move the hide a bit. I heard what sounded like a rattle or a hiss and thought the mouse was in the hide (it suddenly dissapeared so I thought it had jumped in the hide) so I picked it up to take the mouse out and my corn had it in its coils and the mouse had blood on its neck. I quietly put the hide back and left him to his meal.

I don't expect to see any of them now for a good long while, even tho the mice where small. None would eat if they where stressed would they?

Old 01-28-2005, 02:56 AM   #5
Spirit
The fact that they ate is a VERY good sign. But now that they did eat, and since they are in new homes, you already know to create as LITTLE stress as possible so leaving them completely alone for even 72+ hours (48 to digest and an extra day just to explore) might be a good idea.

How cute, your python has it's own chair! Any chance you can post a pic of that? Just curious what it looks like. lol

Old 01-28-2005, 10:44 AM   #6
Cham keeper
55 gallons is quite huge for a 2.5 ft bp. Whats the humidity? Do you use one of those adhesive thermometers because those arent accurate at all. If your using a heat lamp during the day that is a complete waste of energy. Since bps are nocturnal and hide during the day why would it come out to bask. Also bps stay on the ground, they need belly heat. I dont see the need for a heatlamp. The light is hard on there eyes as I have heard. IF you are going to use a heatlamp use a ceramic heat emitter. Remember to buy a rheostat because the temps could get to high and roast him in his cage. These are just my experiences

CK

Old 01-28-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
akaangela
The basking light was because the heat tape that I ordered had not arrived yet. It is also because I like to watch her and she seems more comfortable without the bright light. I got the tape today and will install it tonight. I have a thermostat (from justcage) comming as soon as he gets them in. I was going to split the cage but she seems happy enough and only goes into her hide to sleep. She is exploring her cage and loves to climb her chair and just lay there. I was surprised at how active she was after she ate and she didnt go into her hide for hours. When I got up this am she was curled up in her hide.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #8
akaangela
the humidity is 56%. I am using a digital thermometer.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:39 PM   #9
Spirit
They do not need a "basking light" but they do need a daylight (whether it be a window or light they need 10-12 hours or light during the day to retain the photocycle - and some balls will go off feed if the light schedule is off), and ambient temps really should not drop below 75... maybe 70 so using a low wattage red bulb is probably a good idea. UTH is best for belly heat as it aids in digestion of the food.

I'm sure it's not as important for an adult as it is for a hatchling. You're doing just fine, akaangela. So long as you have daylight for 10-12 hours, the temps and humitity are correct, don't worry about anything else (without reason).

Congrats!

Old 01-28-2005, 03:40 PM   #10
Cham keeper
I guess it depends on the individual but mine hates light and stays in her hide the whole time. Are you keeping your 2 bps together? If you just got your bp then she might be exploring her new habitat but will settle in, atleast thats what mine did. Thats pretty good humdity for a glass aquarium! Atleast you got a digi thermometer.

CK

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!