Is my Rosy Boa FAT???? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
sharidactyl
Is my Rosy Boa FAT????

Just got back from the Vet with my Rosy Boa and I am very disappointed with the visit.
Background: I am a first time snake owner. I have had my Rosy Boa since October. He is about six years old and was previously used primarily for breeding. We have only succeeded in feeding him twice: October 30 and Nov 10. Instantly grabbed an F/T adult mouse both times. Since then... Nothing. He just isn't interested.
The breeder has reassured me that he is healthy and may slow down feeding for the winter.
However, since I know NOTHING, and it has been 98 days since he feed last, I finally decided to take him to the vet to make sure he is okay.
Vet had nothing specific to say except that he is FAT and I should put him on a diet. Really??? Once I get him to feed, I will be sure to put him on a diet.
So my question is: Is my Rosy Boa FAT??? I don't really trust the Vet, I know this species is stout with a small head. Could it be that the Vet just never met one before? Also, she gave me a tip sheet for helping to feed lizards rather than snakes so I really don't trust her.

He checked out fine. She wanted to draw blood. I declined that. He seems strong and healthy and I figure he is just resting since he is used to being breed. Thoughts???

Is he fat????

Appreciate any help you can give.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
jbt123
Second pic, he looks a little plump, but absolutely nothing to be concerned about! It's normal for them not to eat this time of year. Once it warms up I'm sure he'll start eating again.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
snowgyre
I've never heard of someone calling an anorexic anything fat. O.o That weight is a good thing when they go off feed. Males SHOULD be a little plump (not obese, mind you) going into the breeding season, otherwise they get too skinny.

I don't work with boas but I do work with ball pythons, and I'd rather have my males have a little bit of weight on them prior to the season.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
hhmoore
This thread has been moved from the classifieds...please do make the small effort to post discussion topics in the appropriate sections.

Lacking expertise, or even a reasonable amount of experience, with rosy boas - I won't comment on the lack of feeding...except to offer the generic advice of double checking your husbandry to ensure that isn't the cause.

Does he look overweight? To me, yes...but not to an extreme.
I tend to disagree with 2 elements from the preceding post:
- I don't go along with the idea of having males carry extra weight into breeding season
- I'm not a proponent of making comparisons or recommendations based on experiences with wholly unrelated species.

As far as the OP's sarcastic comment about putting the snake on a diet after it starts to feed again - it was an amusing shot, but it missed the mark. There is a difference in the snake's metabolism when it is feeding vs when it is not. If you determine that your snake is overweight, changes in the size and frequency of meals will be better than a prolonged fast.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
Amelanistic Orca
I have seen an Az Rosy Breeder with multiple Rosy's the size of a Red Bull can in diameter, and darn near 4 ft. I have never seen that again.... That Rosy, is fit. lol.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
stolenheron
your rosy is just fine. I had one as a pet for 9 years. They are awesome snakes, generally great at taking meals, but will skip meals occasionally or seasonally.

your rosy does not look "fat", it looks quite normal to me.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
InterExotics
That is the same time of year that my rosies go off of fed, so I wouldn't worry. He looks perfectly healthy to me. It might be time to find a new vet?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!