Florida state law issues - Page 12 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 12-16-2003, 09:04 PM   #111
Wilomn
But officer, I wasn't buying the dope in the bag, I was just giving the nice man money for the baggy it was in.......

Wes Pollock

Old 12-16-2003, 09:32 PM   #112
KNOBTAIL
just so that we have a very

clear understanding. No one has been proven guilty of anything, as yet. If the people who received the citation decide to peruse it in a court of law, the deciding factor will rest with the courts. I think we call agree on this.

Insofar as fish and wildlife having a hard-on for reptile people, its to well documented especially at airports where international shipments are concerned. At one point the situation was so bad at JFK, that several of us decided to sue the agents personally. You have no idea how frustrating it can be when dealing with some of these over-zelous agents, who can easily tie up your shipment for days, allowing the animals to die, and making your life a nightmare. I would agree with you that if your paperwork is in order, and you have the legal right to accept merchandise , your dealings should be trouble free. But the realities are far from that.

This post has certainly gone beyond the pale. My intentions were just to notify the herp community that we all, and I include myself have to be on guard and vigilant when dealing at shows. The laws that are being enacted and the pressure groups that are just waiting to pounce on the animal dealers are making this industry a difficult one to survive in. I agree with you and probably Wes that it is your obligation to know the limitations of your permit. After all it is a paid privledge. I am also sure that under normal circumstances everyone would have provided the necessary paperwork if the FW people asked for it. But in my partilcular case, my materials do not fall under the jurisdiction of the FW. So, I respectfully declined. In all honesty, he had no business asking me for my permit, nor should he ask me for my licence and registration, or my tax return. His guidelines are clearly spelled out by the Fla. legislature. I was not rude, as I am not to anybody, but I am not going to be intimidated by these people either, especially if I have nothing to do with reptiles.

The fact that I was a police officer, was only mentioned because Ive seen abuses that should never have occurred, but only did occur because of a uniform, a shield and a gun. I have a very astute understanding that is obtained through good experience and length of time, when an officer goes beyond the call of duty. I believe in this particular situation, that might have happened.

Old 12-18-2003, 01:19 AM   #113
herpetological
Sorry Brian... My bad on the 3 or less thing. It was late, I was tired etc. LOL's I should know better. I've dealt with them as long or longer than anyone. I remember when there were no permits in Fla. Everyone should keep in mind there are well... "undesirables" on both sides of the law.

Old 12-25-2003, 02:29 AM   #114
arboreals
hmm...

Never knew you needed a permit to sell these guys,
John

Old 01-15-2004, 07:59 PM   #115
bud mierkey
Post its jan time for the vote?

Bruce,
When is the vote going to take place?

Old 01-16-2004, 12:35 AM   #116
brucestephenson
I have been researching to see what is going on. On the day of the first meeting of the month, the newspapers carried an article where Mike Armstrong, the director of Hillsborough County Animal Control, announced that starting now in 2004, those rules that required warning signs in your yards, listing you in a public database, and huge annual permit fees ($250 to $500.00 per year) are now in effect for dangerous dogs. No mention was made of any other kind of animal. Thank God. Possibly the reaction that the County Commissioners received from the fine members of the BOI around the country put the kabosh on their scheme to include all exotics. I took the liberty of warning the huge fish farming industry, and other people warned the bird breeders and keepers, who I assume hammered the Commissioners.
I have not been able to find a way to accurately get the coming agendas for commission meetings. We should remain extremely vigilant. There is another meeting on the third Wednesday morning of this month. I will continue my research and get back to you soon.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:45 AM   #117
brucestephenson
By the way, there was no vote. They just thought it up and did it.

Old 02-18-2004, 02:12 AM   #118
JohnHarper
Talking have a question

If you attend the show not as a saler or a breeder or displyer do you need a permit to buy animals?

thanks,
john

Old 07-17-2004, 08:58 AM   #119
areptileguy
Palm Beach County lookout

"Big cats should not be kept as pets

Holly Bowman
Campaign Coordinator The Animal Rights Foundation of Florida fort lauderdale
Posted July 17 2004

Email story
Print story
Although the recent escape and killing of yet another tiger in Palm Beach County is unfortunate, it is the inevitable result of keeping wild animals in private homes as someone's "pet." Their very nature makes big cats incapable of being domesticated or tamed.

Even in the hands of caring private individuals, big cats suffer. These animals require special care, housing, diet and maintenance that cannot be provided for in captivity. As a result, many exotic pets, like this unfortunate tiger, are either killed, abandoned or doomed to live in deplorable conditions.

To properly ensure the community's safety and the animals' welfare, a ban on private possession of exotic animals must be adopted. Hopefully, the tragic death of this innocent tiger will serve as a long overdue wake-up call. The Animal Rights Foundation of Florida is calling on Palm Beach County to join the hundreds of cities and counties across the country, including Fort Lauderdale and the city of Palm Beach, which have severely restricted or banned the private possession of exotic animals."

This is yet another knee jerk reaction. Just wanted to give a head up to those in that county and nearby.

Old 07-17-2004, 01:04 PM   #120
VenomJ
Well someone needs to tell Mrs. Holly Bowman to shove it up her a$$. I dont think Palm beach will make the ban, even if they did, what people that keep large cats and such will give them up.

I didnt even know there was a ban in Ft. Lauderdale on exotic mammals. This is only for lions, tigers, ect. This is NOT for any reptile in that matter.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!