Vote***financing Fauna***vote - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: ***Funding Poll** What do YOU think is appropriate? (More than 1 OK)
A general use fee of $35/year, membership would be required to access site 18 8.33%
A membership fee of $10-25/yr. to access the BOI 32 14.81%
$35/yr. general membership fee but BOI/classified free 24 11.11%
Increased advertising fees and fees for all advertising 81 37.50%
I don't care 7 3.24%
If there were a membership fee, I would not visit Fauna 75 34.72%
I have no concept of economics, I did not realize it costs money to run a website like this 4 1.85%
After seeing how hard Webslave works to maintain this site, I want to help 38 17.59%
Increase fines 47 21.76%
I have other ideas for funding which I have listed below in my post. 26 12.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #121
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAOA49
Although I'm not paying for server costs I researched how much it does cost and just about choked.... From what I saw its nearly 350 dollars... I don't know how much Rich pays but I remember owning a website and I didn't like it all to well when I got the bill...

Rich.... ever thought about buying a Server???? If we would all band together and help pay for the cost of one you wouldn't need to worry about the huge bill.... only from your high speed ISP

I have done alot of thinking and thought that 25 bucks is gonna come out anyways so I might as well pay it... Anything to help...

Just a Thought,
-Jacob
No man. You cannot run a server from your home through your ISP. Not unless you have a direct connection through a T1 or better. This site alone uses up over 100 gigabyte of bandwidth per month. There is no way you can get that kind of throughput through an ISP. Any such attempt would leave you with a site that would be so slow it would be terminal.

And buying a server is not really effective. Buying means you are locked into that box until you buy a new one. Technology is advancing so quickly that you can expect to want to upgrade about every year. So with an owned box, you need to sell it (which has lost nearly all of it's value) or set it aside and buy a new one. With a leased server, you just tell the tech guys to move you to the newer and faster box. Sometimes for the same price as the old one.

Then there are hardware failures on the owned equipment. Something breaks on the owned box, too bad. On a leased box, THEY fix or replace it, for free. On top of that, there is the server admin functions that the owner (me) would have to do. That takes time to learn and time to DO once you know what you are doing. LOTS of time. Time that I just don't have. I've been puttering around with server admin voodoo for going on 3 years now, and there is much more to learn then I will ever be able to make time to do so.

Sorry to have to shoot you down, but I have researched these options thoroughly and believe I am doing it the best way I can.

Old 01-31-2005, 08:08 PM   #122
Milwaukee Reptiles
I know about my lack of purchasing a banner ad.... and it's something that I definitly will consider when I get some hatchlings later this season (Don't feel bad, I cancelled my KS account and have no plans to renew).

As for the highlighting, the system I proposed would be slightly different in that EVERY classified ad posted would get you $1 or $2. You can still keep the highlighting at an extra $1 (I've used it on my more expensive item out of 2 or three). You've got almost 15,000 classified ads posted currently (I'm not sure on the age of some of them), but at $2 a piece that would certainly help the costs, even if it doesn't cover it (I have no idea what the monthly costs are for a site this large).

Say that they $2 got you a 14 day ad, and you can repost the exact same ad for another $1 until the item sells.

Again, I'm no professional but these are just my thoughts.

Old 01-31-2005, 08:12 PM   #123
robin d.
Quote:
Oh, and as I posted in another thread, I am quite prepared for this site to go down the tubes if the alternative is that I work myself to death for free to keep it alive. That is no longer an option.
it seems like you want it to fail... if that is the case quit
if you want it to grow and you make money off of it you are going to have to do allot more than just charge for the BOI... you are going to have to make it more professional looking with an easier site to navigate... charge classifieds as well as picture galleries plus banner ads and what not... shat or get off the pot with new classifieds and old one as well as new photo galleries and old ones... stop wasting space and bandwidth on faunabooks, herpwantads, faunaart and faunanet(maybe not faunanet) and maybe think of integrating your cornsnake.com forums into here(more trafic)... bring the trafic to you as opposed to sending it out to various sites you own and maintain. i think monte said it best. before you decide to go any further, whether you want to quite or continuue... contact a personal consulting firm and get a general business plan and maybe ask for suggestions on web site colutions to make it easier and more appealing but if you do not want to put the effort into it... just turn off your server and quit... it will be easier that way

Old 01-31-2005, 08:24 PM   #124
WebSlave
Well Robin, if you know better how to do this then I do, go make your own site and run with it. You are welcome to express your opinions, but I see no reason to get irritated when they don't automatically become written in stone. The range of opninons on this matter is all over the map here. Just what is it about you that makes you think that YOUR opinion should carry greater weight then anyone else's? Perhaps I missed something somewhere....

But in any event, don't believe for an instant that you can TELL me what to do with my site and I have to comply. Just because you have no need for some of the other sites I run does not mean that the entire rest of the world is exactly like you are.

Old 01-31-2005, 08:25 PM   #125
JAOA49
ON one hand there is the option of a T1 which I was just thinking that I forgot about in my post... my bad .... heh the cost of that might be the same though I didn't research on the cost of those...

Yes Server Tech is ever increasing but even if you buy the best kind you could get it wouldn't be far off 3-4 years from now.... even the 3-3.2Ghz computers now days are so fast they are scarry.... A fast processor speed is all you really need along with my well forgotten T1 - T3 connections (I ment ISP to be a T1... someone has to provide it lol)

Some servers have deals attached to em... like Free 1 year replacement... At which you could purchase longer... Tech support.... If your getting a programmer then he should easily know how to set one of these up.....

If you get the right server you will find you can keep it along time before the demand outgrows the server's output then is the time to get a new one... in the mean time you will save money... you can get a decent one for 2,000 to 3,000 and still save money in one year..... If you are paying more than 350 a month youd save money unless the T1's prices cost more than the price it costs to run the site

Old 01-31-2005, 08:33 PM   #126
WebSlave
The last time I checked, the cost to get a T1 line to my house would have been $1,500 per month..............

Old 01-31-2005, 08:40 PM   #127
Milwaukee Reptiles
I think there is usually a pretty large install charge too because they have to dig wires and run them to a central hub, ect. I think the last time I checked for my house install STARTED at $20K

Old 01-31-2005, 08:55 PM   #128
robin d.
Quote:
Well Robin, if you know better how to do this then I do, go make your own site and run with it.
i do not want to but if i did.... i would definately consult with a professional before
doing so

Quote:
But in any event, don't believe for an instant that you can TELL me what to do with my site and I have to comply. Just because you have no need for some of the other sites I run does not mean that the entire rest of the world is exactly like you are.
i am not telling you to do jack.. just some suggestions, based on common sense and a little looking around as well as comments from others... isnt that what you have wanted? input? people are trying and you already have made up your mind regardless and its right in front of you

Old 01-31-2005, 09:48 PM   #129
bcfos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
The last time I checked, the cost to get a T1 line to my house would have been $1,500 per month..............

Remember sprint sucks Rich.. Just climb the pole like I did and. Nevermind..

Old 01-31-2005, 10:34 PM   #130
WebSlave
Brian, I seriously doubt you were able to tie into a T1 connection on a pole.

I have the fastest service that Comcast provides, but it is nowhere near what is needed to run a web server on. Matter of fact, the download and upload speeds are exactly the opposite of what you would need for something like that. For a server, you would need the upload speeds much faster then the download speeds. This doesn't happen with ISP connections.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread