Varanus Exanthematicus - new pics - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 02:35 AM   #21
dekaybrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimpia View Post
Oh thank you, I've come across your site in previous searches.

How much should a young monitor be fed? Mine is ~10" in total length and right now we are giving him perhaps 3-4 appropriately sized roaches and 5-6 medium crickets every day, with a treat like a little feeder fish or infertile chameleon egg a couple times a week. So far no rodents. He always looks like he could eat more but he wouldn't be the first reptile I've had that could eat himself to death if I let him. How does this sound?
Not enough food, during the first year they will eat like horses.

If they are kept hot enough, they burn that energy growing.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #22
azeppelinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimpia View Post
Oh thank you, I've come across your site in previous searches.

How much should a young monitor be fed? Mine is ~10" in total length and right now we are giving him perhaps 3-4 appropriately sized roaches and 5-6 medium crickets every day, with a treat like a little feeder fish or infertile chameleon egg a couple times a week. So far no rodents. He always looks like he could eat more but he wouldn't be the first reptile I've had that could eat himself to death if I let him. How does this sound?

Do you have to worry about parasites with feeder fish???

Old 07-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #23
dekaybrown
yes and no...

i would limit the amount of "dirty" feeders, like goldfish, comets and rosies.

Stick with "clean" fish like trout, dace and guppies.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #24
Offkillter1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaybrown View Post
yes and no...

i would limit the amount of "dirty" feeders, like goldfish, comets and rosies.

Stick with "clean" fish like trout, dace and guppies.
What are your thoughts on feeder lizards i.e house geckos or anoles . I try to provide a vast array of feeder insects,but would love to have an option other than mice as an occasional treat.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #25
Olimpia
Then how much do I offer? Just as much as he will eat? I know that with other species it's better to moderate their food intake so they grow at a good pace instead of just letting them eat and grow at a higher rate. That's why this is all striking me as very different from what I'm used to.

To Chad, honestly, even crickets can carry parasites. That's why you have to do regular fecals on everyone to keep and eye on it. But fish, anoles, and WC/CB insects can all have parasites.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #26
azeppelinfan
Thank You

Old 07-16-2012, 03:35 AM   #27
dekaybrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offkillter1 View Post
What are your thoughts on feeder lizards i.e house geckos or anoles . I try to provide a vast array of feeder insects,but would love to have an option other than mice as an occasional treat.
I lost a lizard eating snake once because W/C Anoles carry all sorts of parasites and infections, it's not worth the risk.

Buy organic raw shrimp, Be careful not to buy the frozen crap in packaging, you want the shrimp that are displayed out on crushed ice.
Frozen food alert - Click this link

Crayfish, small crabs, Night Crawlers are readily taken, Chicks and mice/rats.

The whole issue with obesity stems from

A. not kept hot enough. - If the heat from the cage does not belt you in the face when you open the door, it's too cold in there.

B. Not enough room. I can't stress this enough, there is no such thing as a monitor cage that is too big. These are active animals that need to move around.

In the wild they command territories many acres wide, so anything we can keep them in is a box in comparison. they need exercise!

C. people don't provide a deep enough substrate to promote burrowing. Most all monitor species dig tunnels and will use them and often sleep in them.

Without a big spacious cage that is kept toasty and humid the lizard will grow fat and lethargic (often called "tame", it's sad) and ultimately die of heath issues.

Making them run, jump and climb every single day and providing basking temps all the way up to 150 degrees they will metabolize and burn those calories as they should.

However when properly supported they are a bit more "high strung" but that's the way a healthy monitor should be.

And I'm sorry if I have given the impression that it's OK to shovel groceries at them all day, it's not.

My lizards eat about 4 small mice a day, a dozen night crawlers a week and lots of roaches, some minnows, some shrimp, some crayfish and occasional crickets.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #28
Offkillter1
Thanks for the link and caring for this species as much as you obviously do.I love my savs from watching their separate personality's develop,down to the most minute daily interaction.They are hands down the most rewarding reptile I've ever had the honor of being owned by.One thing though,you have to tell me how you got Chompers so accustomed to the outdoors.Our girl Shweetums is a sweetheart inside.Once you take her outside the sun flips a switch in her head and she goes crazy.Throwing up and trying to bite the heck out out of anything that crosses her path,animate or otherwise.
It's gotten so stressful for her and I both that I just bought a solar meter and some mercury vapor bulbs and said to heck with it.

Much thanks,Mike

Old 07-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #29
dekaybrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offkillter1 View Post
Thanks for the link and caring for this species as much as you obviously do.I love my savs from watching their separate personality's develop,down to the most minute daily interaction.They are hands down the most rewarding reptile I've ever had the honor of being owned by.One thing though,you have to tell me how you got Chompers so accustomed to the outdoors.Our girl Shweetums is a sweetheart inside.Once you take her outside the sun flips a switch in her head and she goes crazy.Throwing up and trying to bite the heck out out of anything that crosses her path,animate or otherwise.
It's gotten so stressful for her and I both that I just bought a solar meter and some mercury vapor bulbs and said to heck with it.

Much thanks,Mike
Sadly I am guilty of force handling Chomper, so he didn't put up much fight about anything.

I am doing the whole thing differently now, I am allowing the monitors to come to me on their terms. and it's really exciting. Last night Littlefoot ran right up the front of me and sat on my lap for a few seconds... looking for a treat.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #30
azeppelinfan
What is 'your' definition of force handling??? I would really like to know more about that, and how you have changed it. Thanks so much for your wonderful pics and awesome vids. Kept me interested for a couple days! I'm familiar with Ackies but have gotten attached to 'little foot'. I really like the exercise/stimulate vid.

Thanks again!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!