feeding question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:36 PM   #1
alejandro
feeding question

Hi
i have a box turtle it is like 6"
should i give it all she can eat?
i feed it all days but not too much.
if it still want to eat should i give it more food?

Old 08-10-2004, 04:59 AM   #2
zebeck
What are you feeding it?

Too much food is a little harder to do for box turtles than for soe other species but there are over fed box turtles out there.
It does eventually lead to problems, obesity being the most obvious. Further complications with internal organs might devlop too.

Can the box turtle completley retract itself into its shell? Or does fat and skin hang out when it tries to close up?

What kind of box turtle is it exactly?

Old 08-10-2004, 06:36 AM   #3
alejandro
hi
i feed him give him some vegetals litle fruts and some earth worms and yes he can retract .

is a tree toad ( dont know if that word is correct) sprry for my english

Old 08-11-2004, 03:38 AM   #4
zebeck
Try offereing him some mushrooms, live beetles, beetle larva, and squash. A whole pinkie mouse once per month might be good as well.
If you can get calcium powder you can sprinkle it on his food.

Feed him 4 times per week if he seems healthy.
Try to feed him every day if he seems to be sick.

Be sure he has access to a small pool of water a few centimeters deep for soaking . He should be able to get in and out of the water whenever he wants every day. Keep the water clean by changing it every day.

A hide box or cave which is kept very moist will help too.

If he can completely close his shell he os not too fat.

Old 08-11-2004, 06:31 AM   #5
alejandro
I have seen that he never eat the mushrooms

Old 08-11-2004, 07:00 PM   #6
zebeck
If you mix several kinds of food together it sometimes helps.
Throw chopped up fruits on top of the mushrooms and worms and then chop up pieces of vegetables into very samll pieces. Mix it all together.

Get some calcium powder if you can. Sprinkle it on top of the food.

Does he live outside or inside?

Old 08-11-2004, 07:06 PM   #7
alejandro
he is inside in a large plastic container he have real plants a big bowl of water and a cave that i spray with water all days.
and the problem with the worms is that in puerto rico no one sell worms or any othere insect
and all the worms i give him are from my backyard i dig holes and put them in a containers for some days the i give them to the turtle
but i find like 2 a week

Old 08-11-2004, 09:32 PM   #8
alejandro
can i feed it with any type of insect? or any kind of snail?

Old 08-12-2004, 06:51 PM   #9
zebeck
Most kinds of insects are safe. Don't use any hairy or fuzzy catepillars or lightning bugs(Photuris pyralis and other Photuris species)
also don't use "velvet ants" (Dasymutilla occidentalis and other Dasymutilla species). Some butterflies and moths are not good either. SO if you are not sure, don't use any of them.

Grasshoppers, beetles, crickets, roaches, dragonflies, waterbugs are all usually okay as long as you don't collect them from a place where lots of insecticdes are used.

He would really do better if you could provide him with an outside pen. Even a just a few square meters with a perimeter wall would be good. The sunshine is much better for them.

And he should have a water area to soak in whenever he wants.

Do you have a photograph of him?

Old 08-12-2004, 07:34 PM   #10
alejandro
i am planing on doing an outdoor place for the turtle but first I need to give my dog to anothere person I dont want to but he braki8ng all in the house is bite me and he try to bite my dad so i will have to give him the I can make the outdoor place

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!