Professionalism? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Walk of Life
Professionalism?

I have noticed in a couple threads recently that the level of professionalism exhibited by some of our "leading members" appears to be somewhat on the wane. When did it become appropriate for those whose lead we are supposed to follow, to engage in name calling and other rude behavior towards other members?

There is one thread in particular where several seem to have ganged up on one particular member and repeatedly left demeaning comments. Now in that particular case, the victim does engage in behavior that would lead most, including myself, to draw the same conclusion about his mental capabilities, but does this warrant our leaders who are acting in a position of authority here to stoop to that level and post it in a public forum? It almost seems like they are playing to the crowd, rather then moderating.

There are a few members whom we have all come to expect this behavior from, but I was really surprised to see it play forth from those whom we would expect to see setting the example here.

I would have hoped that barring those few individuals who seem to thrive on this type of behavior, that we had, through recent similar discussion, put some of this behind both ourselves and Fauna.

One can dream I suppose!

Old 11-30-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk of Life
I have noticed in a couple threads recently that the level of professionalism exhibited by some of our "leading members" appears to be somewhat on the wane. When did it become appropriate for those whose lead we are supposed to follow, to engage in name calling and other rude behavior towards other members?

There is one thread in particular where several seem to have ganged up on one particular member and repeatedly left demeaning comments. Now in that particular case, the victim does engage in behavior that would lead most, including myself, to draw the same conclusion about his mental capabilities, but does this warrant our leaders who are acting in a position of authority here to stoop to that level and post it in a public forum? It almost seems like they are playing to the crowd, rather then moderating.

There are a few members whom we have all come to expect this behavior from, but I was really surprised to see it play forth from those whom we would expect to see setting the example here.

I would have hoped that barring those few individuals who seem to thrive on this type of behavior, that we had, through recent similar discussion, put some of this behind both ourselves and Fauna.

One can dream I suppose!

Mike, if you could be more direct about which posts and threads you have concerns about maybe we could look at the incidents and discuss them professionally. Otherwise, I think this thread is an open invitation for any that always find something to gripe about to run (troll) with. Others might just think it is another member that didn't like a particular post directed at them or a friend, etc.
So, if you can be more direct about the incidents that trouble you maybe it will simplify the discussion that will follow.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
Walk of Life
Dennis,
It is not my intention to publicly ridicule anyone here - especially a leading member. I think that those that I referred to will certainly know who they are.
I hope that it will give them pause to think about the example they are setting.

My only goal is to do my part to solidify and legitimize Fauna. I think this is a great site and I would love to see it perceived that way by everyone.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
Wilomn
Quote:
Dennis,
It is not my intention to publicly ridicule anyone here - especially a leading member. I think that those that I referred to will certainly know who they are.
I hope that it will give them pause to think about the example they are setting.

My only goal is to do my part to solidify and legitimize Fauna. I think this is a great site and I would love to see it perceived that way by everyone.
or from another point of view one could read that as .....

You see, I don't have the stones to actually name names and be totally up front.

I'm more of a do as I say not as I do kind of guy.

Wishy washy is just that. If you want things to be different playing willow branch in the wind isn't going to cut it.

SAY what you mean.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
Walk of Life
Wes,
I don't share your point of view and as always I will not be drawn into one of your typical antagonistic debates. As I stated in my reply to Dennis, I'm sure that the parties involved know exactly what I'm referring to and they will either take a look at themselves or they will not.

The point of the thread is that I don't feel (my opinion) that members in a position of authority should resort to that type of behavior. They may feel differently and if so, so be it.

Is it so wrong to desire that a site that I enjoy might try and continually improve itself? Most people would aspire to a similar goal.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:48 PM   #6
Wilomn
Quote:
Wes,
I don't share your point of view and as always I will not be drawn into one of your typical antagonistic debates. As I stated in my reply to Dennis, I'm sure that the parties involved know exactly what I'm referring to and they will either take a look at themselves or they will not.

The point of the thread is that I don't feel (my opinion) that members in a position of authority should resort to that type of behavior. They may feel differently and if so, so be it.

Is it so wrong to desire that a site that I enjoy might try and continually improve itself? Most people would aspire to a similar goal.
It's not wrong at all, nor is speaking in favor of it.

We just do things differently. I'm not much of a duck and cover guy.

Your point is valid, but ....... not important enough to warrant the change you speak of. To give in to what you want, a whitewashing of feelings, the flavor, the spice of the site is made less signifigant and as a whole I think that is not good.

Freedom of expression, whether to call an idiot an idiot or not, is an important part of what makes Fauna as big and well liked as it is.

You KNOW you won't get hugs and kisses here if you don't deserve them.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
dsirkle
Hence my signature line.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:23 AM   #8
Walk of Life
Or how about

If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. ~Elbert Hubbard

Old 12-01-2007, 07:01 AM   #9
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsirkle
Hence my signature line.
I have to admit that I didn't know what that meant.

This is what I found on a quick search.

Quote:
"The Dozens" are an elaborate insult contest. Rather than insulting an opponent directly, a contestant derides members of the opponent's family, usually his mother. The dozens has its origins in the slave trade of New Orleans where deformed slaves--generally slaves punished with dismemberment for disobedience--were grouped in lots of a "cheap dozen" for sale to slave owners. For a Black to be sold as part of the "dozens" was the lowest blow possible.

In an effort to toughen their hearts against the continual verbal assault inflicted on them, as part of the "dozens," Blacks practiced insulting each other indirectly by attacking the most sacred "mother" of the other. The person who loses his "cool" and comes to blows loses the contest. The person who outwits and out-insults the other while keeping a "cool" head is the winner. Elements of both signifying and the dozens appear in the toasts tradition.

The above passage was written by African-American author and professor Mona Lisa Saloy. It appears in "African American Oral Traditions in Louisiana" treating the subject of Louisiana folklife on a National Endowment for the Arts-sponsored website.
Quote:
"The dozens" is an element of the African-American oral tradition in which two competitors, usually males, go head to head in a competition of often good-natured, ribald "trash talk." They take turns insulting -- "cracking" or "ranking" on -- one another, their adversary's mother or other family member until one of them has no comeback. This is called playing the dozens or doin' the dozens and sometimes dirty dozens. The dozens is a contest of personal power -- of wit, self-control, verbal ability, mental agility and mental toughness. Each putdown, each "snap," ups the ante. Defeat can be humiliating; but a skilled contender, win or lose, may gain respect. The dozens is one of the contributing elements in the development of hip hop, especially the practice of battling.

The dozens can be a harmless game, or, if tempers flare, a prelude to physical violence. While the competition on its face is usually light-hearted, smiles sometimes mask real tensions. But in its purest form, the dozens is part of an African-American custom of verbal sparring, of "woofin'" (see wolf ticket) and "signifyin'," intended to defuse conflict nonviolently, descended from an oral tradition rooted in traditional West African cultures.

"Yo' mama," a common, widely recognized argumentative rejoinder in African-Amercan vernacular speech, is a cryptic, and sometimes comical, allusion to the dozens.

The term "the dozens" is believed to refer to the devaluing on the auctionblock of slaves who were past their prime, who were deformed, aged or who, after years of back-breaking toil, no longer were capable of hard labor. These enslaved human beings often were sold by the dozen. In "Still Laughing to Keep from Crying: Black Humor," African-American author and professor Mona Lisa Saloy writes:

The dozens has its origins in the slave trade of New Orleans where deformed slaves--generally slaves punished with dismemberment for disobedience--were grouped in lots of a 'cheap dozen' for sale to slave owners. For a Black to be sold as part of the 'dozens' was the lowest blow possible.".[1]

Kokomo Arnold, one of the most popular American blues musician of the 1930s, released a song Twelves (Dirty Dozens) that includes lyrics such as "I like yo' momma - sister, too/I did like your poppa - but your poppa wouldn't do./I met your poppa on the corner the other day/I soon found out he was funny that way." Alternative hip hop group The Pharcyde released a song on their debut album Bizarre Ride II: The Pharcyde entitled "Yo' Mama," the lyrics of which consist entirely of snaps.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #10
snake5007
Quote:
Or how about

If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. ~Elbert Hubbard

The thing is, the "argument" has usually been put to bed. It's the "idiot" telling bare faced lies in the face of overwhelming evidence that makes people call him what he is.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!