? for those with Leucistic texas rats - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-05-2003, 10:52 PM   #1
sschind
? for those with Leucistic texas rats

If you saw an ad offering babies with the phrase "bug eyed" as a descriptor what would you think. I was under the impression that bug eyes was consider to be a defect. I am not sure if the seller was thinking this was a good thing (thats the way it seemed) or if he was warning us that they are bug eyed.

Thanks

Steve Schindler

Old 02-06-2003, 12:06 AM   #2
BrianB
Bug-eyed is a defect. Some breeders advertise that they outcross specifically to avoid bug-eyed leucistic texas rats. What was the price?

Old 02-06-2003, 02:17 AM   #3
SPJ
Sounds like an add I saw. Maybe they should stick to selling fish.
I wouldn't buy one since they are bug eyed and more money than one that isn't. They seem to think that the bug eyed trait is what people are looking for.

Old 02-06-2003, 04:21 PM   #4
evansnakes
There were several breeders, I believe Bill & Kathy Love were one of the first, who outcrossed their animals to other closely related species to eliminate the defect. It worked and those bloodlines are free of that syndrome. I have several adults here that are normal and produce normal babies. The bug eye trait is both undesirable and flawed. Evan Stahl

Old 02-07-2003, 10:35 AM   #5
sschind
SPJ Exactly the impression I got.

Brian They were $60.00 but they were from a retail place not a breeder so the markup is understanable.

Thanks for the replies, for the record I was not considering them, I was just curious because they are one of my favorite snakes and I always check out ads for them.

Steve Schindler

Old 02-08-2003, 02:59 AM   #6
evansnakes
Steve, this spring I will have some super docile, flawless babies for you. My adults are terrific. Evan Stahl

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!