New baby hognose blind - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
kggjr
New baby hognose blind

We got a new western hognose baby (it is not blue phase) that is blind, (we took to the vet) my question is can she live to have a great life (she will be a pet only) as anyone had any experience with a blind snake before. Please let me know . thanks

Old 06-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
fuscusking13
I will start off by saying I dont know anything about hognose, however I think it depends on the way they hunt and live. If they rely heavily on their eyesight there may be some issues, but if they rely on other senses to hunt then I dont see why they would have a problem. I would try not to throw it into a lot of new situations as it would probably stress it out, but if you set it up in its enviroment and dont move it stuff around alot and it feeds and such I dont see why it wont lead a fairly normal healthy life. I would not change the location of its water and such and be careful when handling it. Now mind you this is my opinion and not based on any prior knowledge of hognoses what so ever. I know what they look like, thats about it. Good luck, Dan M.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:38 AM   #3
Razaiel
Poor baby! I have known (of) people with other blind snakes (BPs in this case) and they have gone on to lead pretty normal lives. Snakes go mainly by smell for prey (BPs having poor eyesight anyway) so I'm pretty sure this would work for your hoggy too. As she's never had sight she won't miss it as such, just be careful not to startle her and like the OP said, leave water bowl in the same place always. Best of luck with her

Old 07-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
romad119
I think that he/she will be fine. It's other senses should help to take over, and with a hognose, I wouldn't expect it to be too much of a deal when compared to something that uses its eyesight more ,such as arboreals.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
whytepizza
alright, hognoses spend alot of their time digging and burrowing, so in their tank as long as you have the right substrate they don't use their eyesight anyway. Usually, if the hoggie is nice enough you can have it eat straight out of you hand (i feed mine live so it can get a little messy), so if you're worried about feeding, and the hoggie is nice, you won't have to worry much. I always wanted a blind hoggie, Good luck with it!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!