"Just plain awful..." when someone else is doing it. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 07-15-2003, 09:43 PM   #1
bpc
"Just plain awful..." when someone else is doing it.

I am starting this thread in this area because of the Shell Shop thread being closed on the BOI. I hope it's ok for us to discuss labeling someone as a "bad guy" because of how they might choose to ship an animal over here. I guess it wasn't ok over there, even though that's what the thread was about.

Quote:
The practice or suggestion of shipping any live animal second or third day is substandard, ridiculous and borderline criminal. Anyone that would subject any animal to a 2-3 day trip in a box on purpose is just plain awful.
Rob, you posted that. Yet, you buy animals which are imported from other countries. Because you (and many others) choose to do that, those animals are subjected to 2,3,4,...days in a box. There is nothing different about those boxes vs. the ones used here. Unless we consider how overpacked those boxes are (you and I have both seen it). Again man, I know you and like you, but Shell Shop (whom I've never ever heard of) now has a horrible looking thread with thier name on it, because you don't like the way they advertised something. Not because they actually did anything wrong or ripped anybody off. But because you (someone who does carry a lot of weigh around here), didn't like thier ad.

I could say the same type thing about you or any other importer quite easily. BEWARE ROB... HE EXPLOITS NATURE FOR A LIVING. Truth is, you do. But you do it in a way which is very acceptable. And I would say that most of the animals you bring in do quite well. But others would/could say that those animals should be left in the wild.

Shipping cuban tree frogs w/ 2-3 service is no worse than the trip a farm raised ball makes over from Africa. It's probably a less stressful trip for those frogs to make than the trip all those chameleons you import make from thier native country. And personally I think it was wrong to bash these guys when you haven't even actually ordered a frog to see if it would make it or not. Just my opinion.

Old 07-15-2003, 10:25 PM   #2
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Brian,

To start out so you and others are aware. I.A.T.A. stands for International Air Transport Authority. They are the governing body on what can be and how everything can be shipped whether it is shipped via The airlines or Via private shipping companies.

So you are aware animals that are exported from other countries are transported in temperature controlled pressurized compartments, and even if there is a layover are kept in temp controlled areas of the Hangers. A shipment that is sent with a 2-3 day service is shipped in a general cargo area on the plane, with no temperature control nor is it pressurized. The temperatures in these cargo areas are known to get down to freezing on many occasions. These type of compartments would not and do not work for shipping anything alive for any reason.
I started that thread not because I did not like the ad but because of their response when I asked them about the shipping method for the frogs. Yes they are Cuban Tree frogs, and I have about 100 living around my house and presently have about 800 tadpoles from them but that still does not make them less of a life does it?

In the other thread you said that fastest method would not be UPS or others, well UPS is approved by I.A.T.A. to ship reptiles because of the way they handle the packages that contain live animals, and that they have pressurized and temperature controlled compartments for the packages. I am governed by the I.A.T.A. and my packages when I export MUST meet their requirements. I also pack all my other shipments to meet the standards as well as my animals are more valuable than just the selling amount and I don't take chance with my licenses.
I know you have seen the crates that have come in from other countries and have noticed that they might not appear to be the best looking containers they meet minimum requirements for safety as well as the number of animals in each compartment. Now I agree that some animals are exported in a fashion that I don't believe is correct but IATA and USFW have all agreed that they are acceptable. I have seen USFW with the backing of IATA pursue exporters with international charges for improper packing methods and containers. Anyone that cares about the animals with pack the animals to arrive and do everything in their power to ensure they arrive alive in the proper way.

On the shipping of Reptile through UPS their policy states that they will ship reptiles (no snakes) with an approved account and only if the shipper has a letter on file stating that they absolve UPS of any responsibility if something happens to the animals in transit. They are still governed to act accordingly and treat the shipments correctly otherwise they can lose their license to ship anything. The reason their policy states no snakes if because of the liability if someone where to ship Venomous Snakes through them. My local office and district supervisor all know exactly what I ship and as a matter of fact just about every shipment I drop off they ask what it is and if it is something different this time. Also my packages are all marked as per the contents (i.e. Live harmless Reptiles) and with the species name on the box to prevent possible violations of the Lacey Act. Yes anyone can pack a box with animals and ship it off to whomever but the ones that care about the animals well being are the ones that I feel are good shippers.

Also I agree that there are alot of people out there that feel my importation of animals is exploiting Wildlife and should be stopped. I don't get upset at them as I can see their point of view and side of the story. I also know that without importation of animals the bloodlines in the US and other countries would be next to nothing in a short while with all the inbreeding. Hell take Panther Chameleons for example, just in the last 2 years since Madagascar has not been exporting like they normally do the amount of inbreeding that takes place is astronomical. There are so many breeders out there that only care about making the sale and not keeping the lineage stable for a long future of the species in captivity. If exports of Reptiles and other animals to the US and other countries were to stop in a matter of a few years there would be most likely a small amount of animals still alive because of the lack of genetic diversity and over abundance of inbreeding.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:09 AM   #3
bpc
Rob, USPS which I would imagine would be the cheapest 2-3 service available does allow live animals to be shipped (not snakes). They do have restrictions stating temps must be below such and such at both drop off and destination points. I would imagine that if they knowingly ship animals they would do so in pressurized cabins. So, if that is the case, we're back to square one... quicker trip is available but not for $11.95.

Did you ask if they would ship overnight if you payed extra for that service?

They may have been able to tell where you were calling from (caller ID) and realized in was a simple across the state trip, so no airplane needed.

As far as how well cared for imported animals are, even if the imported animals are temp controlled while in the care of the airplane crew, we've both seen what happens once they get to thier destination.

I'm also curious, you say you are "governed" by IATA. How much "governing" is actually taking place. I would think having been doing this for almost 11 years if they were doing such a huge amount of governing I might have heard of them before. Granted, I do almost no shipping. But I do a fair amount of receiving. And even when I've had packages that were so badly damaged as to have threatened the animals inside, no one ever refered me to IATA. Turtles under 4" are governed by USDA, yet you'd be hard pressed to find a pet store not selling them.

Are cuban a lesser form of life? No, I suppose not, karmically speaking. But, I would be willing to bet that if Shell Shop were shipping albino ball pythons it wouldn't be 2-3 day service. So speaking from a strictly business sense, yes cubans (tree frogs) are a lesser form of life. Think about it, how many frog is he going to sell if he lists them at $49.95 shipped?

I think the biggest problem I have with this is that you are assuming the frogs will be harmed. I disagree, as I stated before, I think you could box these frogs in such a way that most would survive being mailed. These aren't chameleons, heck they aren't even red-eyed tree frogs, they cubans. Cubans will be the one animal left behind to eat the cockroaches that survive the nuclear war. LOL

One other thing, did you wait for/get a reply after you sent your email telling them what you thought of thier shipping methods? Based on the time stamp on his email (10:22p.m. 7/13/03) and then your admission that you wrote back. Thats either pretty late at night or the next day when he receives that email (assuming he checks it everyday, which many people don't). You then come here to post on that very day. Doesn't give him much of a chance to respond does it?

Old 07-16-2003, 12:17 AM   #4
bpc
If I figured this right (which is a big IF) you made that post about an hour after you received his reply as to the shipping method. And you made that post at around 11:30 at night his/your/our time. Are these calculations correct? If so, you gave him no chance to respond.

Have you even made him aware of this thread?

This is almost as bad as someone who gets one of your chameleons, emails and says there's some problem with it, then comes on here and posts a "bad guy" claim before you've even read the email.

Old 07-16-2003, 08:58 AM   #5
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Brian,

One thing amphibians are one of the hardest animals to ship successfully. That is why NO wholesaler will guarantee live arrival on them and most resellers won't either. I have shipped many different types of Amphibians with success but know that even if you were to ship them in a deli cup with moist paper towels that the paper towel will dry up and the animal will perish. Maybe someone might get lucky and the animal is still alive after the towels have dried up but I would bet that most would not.
As far as USPS shipping live animals they will ship them but their 2-3 days service is not one that they will ship reptiles via. Only Express mail is approved for animals. Their 2-3 day service is once again shipped in a non pressurized compartment and is not temperature controlled. USPS use to ship their packages through the airlines but now all their packages are shipped on Fed-Ex lanes and Fed-Ex will not allow them to ship live animals at all. So USPS has to arrange an airline to carry the package for express packages. The 2-3 day service packages are shipped in a totally different fashion. They are not shipped on the first available flight but shipped and are mixed in with the regular packages in the regular compartment.
On the I.A.T.A. governing us, They govern the Air shipping of animals. Mainly you have never dealt with them because you stated you don't ship. Just because you have not had to deal with their regulations personally does not mean they are not a governing body. They govern the regulations for air shipping of everything. You more than likely have never dealt with USFW either because you don't ship but they also govern the intrastate shipments of endangered protected species. If you were to ship some of your baby Albino Burmese pythons across state lines you are subject to USFW regulations as they are a CITES app II animal. I personally have had more dealing with USFW and the I.A.T.A. regulations because I import and export and ship internationally.
Also I have yet to this day received a response back from the person in question after my e-mail to them. Also I see that they have let the ad expire and have not renewed it which is a good thing but it still does not excuse the idea of them shipping in that method. It is no excuse if a person has never shipped before or has shipped very little. Anyone that desires to ship reptiles or any other animal needs to do the research first to find out exactly how and what they need to do to give the animal the best chance of surviving the trip.
Another thing, shipping through USPS express overnight in a small packages is only about $16.95 and up. Anyone can ship the same frogs for about $25-$30 for a pair including shipping.

Old 07-16-2003, 10:29 AM   #6
sschind
Quote:
Are cuban a lesser form of life? No, I suppose not, karmically speaking. But, I would be willing to bet that if Shell Shop were shipping albino ball pythons it wouldn't be 2-3 day service. So speaking from a strictly business sense, yes cubans (tree frogs) are a lesser form of life. Think about it, how many frog is he going to sell if he lists them at $49.95 shipped?

I find it pretty disturbing when people determine the amount of care an animal receives based on its monetary value. If a person can not offer the same type of care for all their animals because it is not financially profitable, they shouldn't be caring for or selling those animals.

It's no different than me wanting fire salamanders but realizing I can't have them because I couldn't possibly keep them at the appropriate temps without a financial burden that I am not willing or able to incur at this time. You know what though, there are cheaper salamanders out there that need the same requirments of the fires, would it be OK for me to keep them in substandard conditions. After all, from a business sense they are lesser life forms.

It's time for summer fairs and festivals and I here it all the time. "who cares, they are only goldfish" I wonder how those people would react if I replied " Yeah, and why should I care, its your kid who will be traumatized when it dies, not mine"

Quote:
One thing amphibians are one of the hardest animals to ship successfully. That is why NO wholesaler will guarantee live arrival on them and most resellers won't either.
Rob, I have received frogs from several people who do guarantee live arrival. Some of them were breeders which makes a difference, but some of them were wholesalers. I buy most of my stuff from breeders though so I don't have a lot of wholesale experience to speak from, I just wanted to say that there are some who do guarantee live arrival of amphibs.

Steve Schindler

Old 07-16-2003, 10:38 AM   #7
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Steve,

Yes there are some breeders that guarantee live arrival on Amphibians as I am one of them. I guarantee live arrival on all my shipments but most do not on the Amphibians because of their susceptibility to perish in shipping. That was my whole thing behind the other thread. Someone that is willing to ship them in that fashion does not care about the animals. That person does not guarantee live arrival except on Airport shipments according to their own terms.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:42 PM   #8
bpc
Quote:
It's no different than me wanting fire salamanders but realizing I can't have them because I couldn't possibly keep them at the appropriate temps without a financial burden that I am not willing or able to incur at this time.
In this case you have made a monetary decision, I think business and monetary discisions are very closely related. Caring for (in the terms of which you speak) and selling animals DO NOT go hand and hand in this business. I think your idea of caring for begins when the animal reaches it's final destination and it's final owner. That person then sets the animal up in a naturalist cage carefully monitors its diet looks at it lovingly at least every other day and basically makes the animal a pet. Animals on the business end of the spectrum do not receive that type of care, or if they do, you certainly can't get two of them shipped to you for $11.95. Animals on the business end of the spectrum usually live in minimalistic caging, often with other animals, and receive the minimal adequate care.

Again guys, I agree that mailing frogs is not the best way in the world to go about it. BUT, we have no evidence that: A) this practice has ever actually taken place and B) that the practice has resulted in the harm of any frogs. And I ask you again, have you even bothered to alert them that you are dragging thier name through the mud????

Steve, value is a subjective term. Everyone's "values" are different. I certainly value all living things. But I also understand the value of a dollar. And you know as well as I do the dollar value of cuban tree frogs. Shell Shop is a business. A business w/ an onwer who probably has a family. A family which has to be taken care of. If Shell Shop can deliver 2 cuban tree frogs in good condition to me for $11.95, and I'm willing to pay that, then how they do it is really no ones business except their's and mine (the customer). Now, if I, (the customer), don't want my future pets to be subjected to 3 days with the USPS, then I, the customer, should be willing to fork out the extra money to have them shipped in some other manner. Frankly, as these frogs are probably coming from the wild here in FL (where they don't belong). Shell Shop might even be doing FL's frog ecology a strong favor by mailing a few of these frogs out of here.

Old 07-16-2003, 10:59 PM   #9
SPJ
OK, let's put this issue to rest once and for all.
Someone give me the link to order and I will spend the $12 on the frogs ( I have some whites tree frogs now anyway) and let everyone know what happens. I do know that with the heat lately, I have been heavily misting my frogs to avoid them drying out. I'll let everyone know how they they are packaged and shipped and how the frogs are when they arrive. Sound good?

Old 07-16-2003, 11:05 PM   #10
sschind
Quote:
Caring for (in the terms of which you speak) and selling animals DO NOT go hand and hand in this business. I think your idea of caring for begins when the animal reaches it's final destination and it's final owner. That person then sets the animal up in a naturalist cage carefully monitors its diet looks at it lovingly at least every other day and basically makes the animal a pet. Animals on the business end of the spectrum do not receive that type of care,
NO, what I said was that the amount of care an animal receives (wherever it may be) should not be dependent on the cost of the animal. I am not saying that you have to have all your animals set up in zoo type enclosures, All I am saying is that a $5.00 frog deserves the same attention as a $5000.00 snake. When profit is all that matters I can see where that way of thinking gets in the way. If you have to take shortcuts to make a profit maybe you shouldn't be selling that animal. Maybe you should stick with those that will allow you enough profit margin so you can take care of them properly. Maybe some animals just weren't meant to be sold via the internet.

Quote:
And I ask you again, have you even bothered to alert them that you are dragging thier name through the mud????
Well, the thread was locked down on the BOI and it would have eventually gone away. You are the one who brought their name up again by starting another thread in this forum. In fact, I didn't mention their name at all. Did you contact them before you started this thread?

I think that this could have been a usefull discussion in a generic sense without bringing names or specifics into it but we will never know now.

Steve Schindler

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!