Bad Guy Repticon- Friend or Foe to the Reptile Industry? - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #61
whippet
Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollegeherps View Post
REPTICON Aint got nothing on the Daytona Intl Show!!!!
I have to disagree there. I go to the repticon show in Timonium (baltimore) Maryland every year and this past year I went down to Daytona. I scrimped and saved to go to the "greatest" reptile show and I was HUGELY dissapointed. Nothing special at that show for sure. It was big..but blah. I found much more interesting and much better prices at the local Repticon!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #62
serena wise
Tara,

Last year was the first year for a Repti-con show at Timonium, but you are right about them having better prices from some of their vendors.

I think Repti-con puts on a good Reptile show, when it is just that. I have heard bad things about the ones they piggy back on with the pet expos, they should just drop those and concentrate on straight up reptile shows.

They will be back in Baltimore for 2 shows this year now that there is no more MARS... in Baltimore. This area needs someone like Repti-con to come in and put on a few good shows to CLEAN-UP the show circuit from the few 12 vendor, 100 people thru the door venues that seem to plague this area.

Repti-con is a friend in this neck of the woods. If they can put on a good, clean show, with quality vendors and animals im all for it.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #63
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet View Post
I have to disagree there. I go to the repticon show in Timonium (baltimore) Maryland every year and this past year I went down to Daytona. I scrimped and saved to go to the "greatest" reptile show and I was HUGELY dissapointed. Nothing special at that show for sure. It was big..but blah. I found much more interesting and much better prices at the local Repticon!
I agree. The NRBE in Daytona is nowhere near where it used to be. The times I went in 2008 and 2010 were fairly disappointing from the times I went over a decade back when it was in Tampa.

And when I was reading comments on how much Repticon charged for their tables, I almost laughed. I've seen better prices at small local shows, but Repticon's $95 to NRBE's $300? And according to Wayne Hill, one is "privileged" to pay that 300 to vend at the so-called "largest reptile expo in the world." Baloney. I'd rather pay the same amount of money to vend at 3 different Repticons in Florida than vend at Daytona.

The NRBE's day in the sun has set, mostly due to the recent legislative changes in the state, but also to the show's coordinator lofty attitude, and other prominent shows like the NRABC is rivaling it for size and quality.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #64
serena wise
I dont feel that $95 is that bad for a table at Repti-con. The smaller shows in this area may only charge $35-50 per table, but like I said before, they are held in sub-standard buildings, are poorly advertised and promoted, attract a handful of vendors, and even a smaller amount of patrons.

For $95 a table, you get alot more bang for your buck in my opinion. Better venues, more advertisement etc.. Repti-con also offers tablr discounts (4-$250), you cant really beat that in my opinion.

As a buyer, I welcome Repti-con to my area

Old 04-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #65
SteeleReptiles
I love repticon. I attend as many a year as I possibly can!

Old 04-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #66
lanceheads
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC_Ophiuchus View Post
I agree. The NRBE in Daytona is nowhere near where it used to be. The times I went in 2008 and 2010 were fairly disappointing from the times I went over a decade back when it was in Tampa.

And when I was reading comments on how much Repticon charged for their tables, I almost laughed. I've seen better prices at small local shows, but Repticon's $95 to NRBE's $300? And according to Wayne Hill, one is "privileged" to pay that 300 to vend at the so-called "largest reptile expo in the world." Baloney. I'd rather pay the same amount of money to vend at 3 different Repticons in Florida than vend at Daytona.

The NRBE's day in the sun has set, mostly due to the recent legislative changes in the state, but also to the show's coordinator lofty attitude, and other prominent shows like the NRABC is rivaling it for size and quality.
The NRBE was NEVER in Tampa.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #67
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceheads View Post
The NRBE was NEVER in Tampa.
Well, mercy me, my argument has been blown to smithereens.

Forgive me...wherever it was in the mid-90s, it was still better at that time then it is now.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #68
vapres9686
I prefer Repticon over NRBE, mostly because the environment and less congestion in traffic and people attending. They both are great but I fell Repticon is where I am most comfortable.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #69
Yaz23
I honestly believe both parties need to move on. There is enough room in this world for as many shows/expos as anyone wants to start. When you open a business, there will ALWAYS be competition. If you can't handle it then (sorry to say) opening a business just isn't the place for you. Everyone will always try to be on top and that's life, just make due and be the better one. I'm not picking sides or saying who is better, just simple facts that any businessman should know. Hope things work out for both parties.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #70
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC_Ophiuchus View Post
Well, mercy me, my argument has been blown to smithereens.

Forgive me...wherever it was in the mid-90s, it was still better at that time then it is now.
The NRBE show was in Orlando at the Twin Towers prior to relocating to Daytona Beach.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!