'No Live Arrival Guarantee' - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
Lucille
'No Live Arrival Guarantee'

I was reading a frog ad this morning and at the end of the ad, saw this disclaimer. I've seen it from time to time in other ads as well.
I realize that shipping is part of the biz, but why would anyone consider shipping at all if it was so risky that a disclaimer of this nature had to be posted?
There are companies that overall seem to do a good job with their overnight shipping services. If using such a service still leaves one thinking that shipping the particular critter is so risky that a disclaimer on its life needs to be set out, maybe one should do local sales.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
rcarichter
I've only ever had frogs shipped once, from a very good company, and 2 of the 5 were dead, despite great packing and mild weather. I guess amphibians don't handle the stress as well as reptiles. I see this disclaimer a lot on frogs. Local seems to be the way to go.

Noelle

Old 02-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Winter
I agree completely. I have been away on a long hiatus, but am now trying to build up my python collection again. I can't speak for frogs because I don't have amphibian experience, I don't think I'd purchase reptiles out of my area if the seller did not guarantee live arrival. Not saying an extended guarantee is necessarily something required, but just that they arrive alive at least.

I know sometimes carriers make mistakes, but I wouldn't say it is the norm and it certainly wouldn't be the buyer's fault. This sounds awful, but that kind of disclaimer would also protect a seller in a case where they didn't use the right service, right packaging, heat packs, or whatever. I guess it just doesn't seem like a win-win policy to me any way I look at it.

Lauren

Old 02-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
EricIvins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I was reading a frog ad this morning and at the end of the ad, saw this disclaimer. I've seen it from time to time in other ads as well.
I realize that shipping is part of the biz, but why would anyone consider shipping at all if it was so risky that a disclaimer of this nature had to be posted?
There are companies that overall seem to do a good job with their overnight shipping services. If using such a service still leaves one thinking that shipping the particular critter is so risky that a disclaimer on its life needs to be set out, maybe one should do local sales.
Because shipping Amphibians is a completely different dynamic than shipping
Reptiles. Certain things need to be addressed, otherwise you'll end up with dead Frogs. Even in some of the best shipping scenarios, Frogs still end up DOA.......

Which leads some people to not guarantee live arrival, just because shipping Frogs can cost the seller more than what they were sold for by the time it's all said and done.......I guarantee live arrival per my TOS, but sometimes Frogs end up dead for no apparent reason.......

Old 02-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
bsharrah
If the seller is offering shipping, then live arrival should be a given, so long as shipping is done under the conditions set by the seller. Otherwise, IMO, they need to limit all sales to local pick up only. I don't care if it is a reptile or amphibian. If you are not willing to guarantee live arrival, you should not be shipping.

I realize some feel as long as it is clearly stated in their TOS then it is fine, but I disagree. It may absolve you from the business perspective, but not the ethical one. You still have an obligation to the well being of the animal and if you do not feel you can safely get that animal to the buyer, don't go through with the sale.

I think this hobby has progressed enough that some things should be assumed, such as live arrival is guaranteed, and mites don't "just happen" (another one of my pet peeves).

Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Focal
I'm kind of back and forth with this one. I do like the fact that they listed the no guarantee, I guess it's better to know first than find out later.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
FireStorm
Personally, I won't buy from anyone who doesn't guarantee live arrival. I particularly hate ads that say things like "live arrival guaranteed except in the case of carrier delays" or "except when temps areoutside (whatever) range." I've passed on a few animals I really wanted because of the TOS. Imo, if you aren't willing to guarantee in the event of carrier delays, why not use SYR insurance. And why would you ship in temps that you felt you couldn't guarantee live arrival? I've always felt that since the seller is reponsible for providing the buyer with a live animal, shipping temps are up to the seller. As a seller, I won't ship if I feel that the temps are unsafe, no matter how much a buyer wants me to.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
Ed Clark
A person that can not offer at least a guaranteed live arrival should not be shipping anything.

Even tho shipping frogs takes considerable thought when packaging then making sure temps are at optimum levels it's certainly not risky.

Then the fact that you are producing hundreds or even thousands each spawn(depending on what type of frogs you are breeding) giving someone a freebie for a DOA makes good business sense.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #9
hoppingherps
I bred dartfrogs for the better part of 10 years, and I can say out of that time shipping in almost every month of the year I never lost a frog due to shipment. I did receive a group of frogs from a person one time though that were all cooked in the box because he was too stupid to tape the heat pack up. I do guarantee live arrival, but I could see where people would fear shipping certain frogs giving a live arrival.
I would have to go on the line of if they don't guarantee live arrival then dont do business with them. With proper packaging you would be amazed what those little fragile animals can take. One big thing I would say is a problem with some shippers is using super thin styro during cold months to try and save a few bucks.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #10
Ed Clark
Absolutely, using the cheaper 1/2" insulated boxes is asking for trouble. for just a little more you can get the 3/4" insulation which will serve you better in the winter and also in the summer when its hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppingherps View Post
One big thing I would say is a problem with some shippers is using super thin styro during cold months to try and save a few bucks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!