can two hognose be kept together? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-21-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
smurf14
can two hognose be kept together?

I have two small hognose snakes, one 8-10 inches and the other 13-15 inches. can i keep them together, or will one eat the other? any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:28 PM   #2
Karen Hulvey
I don't believe hognose snakes are snake eaters but you never know what one animal will do to another animal when they're both confined to a small space. In the wild if something were to happen and one animal was aggressive towards the other one the one being attacked would have a chance to get away. But in a cage they don't stand a chance. I have a picture somewhere where a BCI ate a ball python that was almost as big as it! Both animals ended up dying. It's just not worth it to keep them together.

It's always better to err on the side of caution and give each animal their own enclosure. That way if one animal upchucks a mouse or has diarrhea you will know 100% for sure which animal has the problem. If they're kept together, you will not know which one has the problem and since they're together you will have to have both of them checked out therefore doubling your vet bill.

You don't have to have elaborate enclosures for your animals. You can use Rubbermaid or Sterilite containers to keep them in.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
starwarsdad
Karen said it well. Our goal as keepers should be the animal's well-being. If you start doing things for the sake of your own convenience or budget, you probably are not serving the animal's welfare.....

Old 11-22-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
Colchicine
Great replies, and I agree. Except that hognoses are definitely ophiophagus. On another forum, I remember one person that reported a larger female eating the smaller male after cohabitating for 2yrs. In addition, there is no reason to keep them together, especially considering the risks.

Old 12-14-2005, 02:46 AM   #5
ladyserpent7
also,,its been known theres been some cannibalism in baby hognoses as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!