? For ya all. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
Steve Hamm
? For ya all.

All right folks I gotta ? for ya.
Lets say you bought a snake that was purchased as a female from a reputable breeder. 7months later you do a trade with someone which is someone you know very well and have done bussiness with many times.
A month or so goes by and you get an email from the person you did the trade with and they tell you it is a male and it is curently courting there female.They wait tell the male is no longer interested and in the female and seperate them ( purpose of waiting is so the neither animal is injured incase the were copulating).They then bring said snake to a locale reptile show were you meet up with them to visually see the snake is a male and have another breeder at the show verify the sex of said snake and see it is the said snake you traded.Snake is verfied as a male so you make things right with the person you did the trade with and neither have any ill feeling toward each other.
So the big ? is should you be compensated from the orginal breeder you purchased said female from that turned out to be a male.After all you did have to pay out of your pocket to make things right with the person you did the trade with.
Keep in mind that some people are very confindent in the people the buy from because they are a respected person in the industry and don't feel the need to probe there animals even though you should,but sometimes people make mistakes.After all we are human's and we do make mistakes occasonally.

Thank ya all in advance for your input it is much appreciated.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #2
Casey Hulse
Hey Steve. What kind of snake are you talking about? Some snakes are about the same value for a male as a female. Can you verify that the snake you traded is the snake you purchased 7 months prior? (Pics etc..) I think the guy you bought it from should do what ever it takes (within reason) to satisfy you, after all, the reason you did not re-check the sex is you trusted him implicitly. Good luck

Old 03-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Casey Hulse
By the way Steve, he is doing great!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Lucille
When you buy a sexed animal from a reputable breeder, if it was mis-sexed and the breeder is in fact reputable, just notifying them of the error and telling them of the extra cash you had to come up with out of your own pocket should get them to offer to send that money to you and you should accept. That's good business.

When a snake is specifically warranted to be of a certain gender by a vendor and you rely on their expertise, they should make it right if they erred.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Wolfy-hound
In my opinion, anything you did with the animal after buying is your responsibility. You ARE owed compensation for getting the wrong sex, and that would be worked out between you and the original seller(some males are more, some females are more, but end result is that you paid for one,a nd may need compensation, especially seeing as the snake is now older, so a replacement would cost more at this stage. Getting a hatchling the correct sex, if you bought the original as a hatchling and raised it, might not be just compensation, but again, that's between the original seller and you.)
It's a complex issue, and I'd bet that any number of reasonable ways to work it out exist.
I hope all goes well!
Wolfy

Old 03-20-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
ms_terese
Quote:
especially seeing as the snake is now older, so a replacement would cost more at this stage.
I was with you right up to this point. If the buyer didn't have the sex verified right away, that's on the buyer. You can't wait 8+ months and then expect the seller to make up the difference for an older (and apparently now mature) snake. Reputable or not, humans can make mistakes.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
shrap
While I do feel that gender should come with a guarantee, if I personally waited 6 plus months to verify gender I would not expect the person who sold me the snake to do anything. I would not even say anything to them. I would just be kicking myself in the ass for not doing what I should have done in the first place.

I personally feel that buyers do have a responsibility to verify gender within a reasonable time frame. I understand not everyone is going to feel comfortable popping or probing themselves, but you should be able to find someone with the experience within 30 days.

Now if someone came to me after 6 plus months I would make things right IF I could be 100 percent certain it was the same snake, but I dont think it should be expected after that much time.

Ultimately all I am saying is that BOTH parties share some of the responsibility to ensure gender. Granted the larger chunk of the responsibility is on the seller, but honest mistakes happen and the buyer needs to take some responsibility for their purchase too.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:06 PM   #8
Stardust
Hmmm, as a buyer more then a seller I once bought a pair, 1.1 uros. It was a few months before I figured it out that I got two males. I figured it was on me for not checking right away. But that is just me.
I did write the breeder just to let him know. He was nice and offered to have me send one back and he would send out a female but I declined and thanked him anyway.
These guys as many of my reptiles are for my personal collection and have names so it didn't bother me. Now if I were to buy for specific breeding purposes it would still be on me to check the animal out within short enough time, if I do not then I still think it would be on me, my bad.
Mistakes are made but if a buyer finds the mistake in a very reasonable amount of time then it could be on the seller to exchange or the like, if the buyer does not check it is on the buyer. IMO

Old 03-20-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
Steve Hamm
Quote:
What kind of snake are you talking about? Some snakes are about the same value for a male as a female. Can you verify that the snake you traded is the snake you purchased 7 months prior?
It is a Ball Python and have many pictures to verfiy the are one in the same icluding pics they day it came home in it's container.

Quote:
You can't wait 8+ months and then expect the seller to make up the difference for an older (and apparently now mature) snake.
No need for him to do that,just the diffrence between a male and a female at the time of purchase. So in other words if he was selling a male for $550 and a Female for $800 at the time of purchase all that would neeed to be compensated would be the diffrence ($250).

Once again thank you all for your input it is much appreciated.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
Casey Hulse
Quote:
So in other words if he was selling a male for $550 and a Female for $800 at the time of purchase all that would neeed to be compensated would be the diffrence ($250).
That seems more than reasonable, no need for him to profit from his mistake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!