What do YOU want? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
hhmoore
What do YOU want?

I'm not setting this up as a poll because 1) I want to get a feel for who's out there 2) there are way too many choices 3) I'm interested in both reality and fantasy. That said:
What python(s) do you most want to add to your collection? (this is without concern for financial or regulatory matters, or for what your significant other might have to say about it)
AND
What python(s) do you foresee yourself acquiring within the next 5 years? (this can be more of something you already keep or something new to you)

Old 04-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
hhmoore
For me, I would most like to add a purple albino retic (illegal here, so not happening) and a group of Timor pythons (rather expensive, and not terribly easy to come by)

What I anticipate acquiring: 1) Savu pythons, preferably from high orange stock that will retain good coloring as adults. 2) I am also on the lookout for high quality jungle/diamond Xs. 3) Depending on my decision regarding ball pythons, there is a possibility that I will be in the market for pastels and spiders...but that is very much up in the air right now (I know BPs have there own forum, but they are still pythons)

Old 04-04-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
Skunky
Strictly speaking for pythons..the two I see in the very near future are an IJ carpet python or a green tree...hoping the summer will prove to be fruitful in terms of purchases!!

Two pythons that I've just recently come across that look absolutely gorgeous, but I dont know anything about, are white-lipped pythons (D'Alberts pythons?) and scrub pythons (Amythestine pythons?).

Old 04-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
hhmoore
D'Alberts (white lipped pythons) are great, though they are fairly demanding that things be right...by that I mean that they will deteriorate if conditions are not kept where they need to be. Unless you have changed your mind about the sizes you are interested in/willing to deal with, don't look at scrubs...while they aren't particularly heavy bodied, they do get long. I haven't kept them in a number of years, and they are on THE LIST here in NYS...so none in the foreseeable future

Old 04-04-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Skunky
I see on your website that you keep/breed the D'Alberts..they really are gorgeous snakes..I'd seen some comments on their husbandry requirements, but didnt realize how sensitive they were to their environment. Wasn't aware that scrubs got that big, all the pics I've seen are juveniles/young adults..and nearly all the classifieds say what a nasty bunch they are They do have awesome coloration though!

Old 04-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #6
hhmoore
I don't think scrubs are all that nasty...but I may not be the best judge, lol. It's been awhile since I paid much attention to the taxonomy of the scrubs, but they used to be broken up into 3 groups (at least unofficially). Now, I see more notice of locale - which may or may not be due to the color/pattern variances. I haven't heard of any smaller versions, so you are looking at a snake that will be getting well over 10 ft (with potential for 18).

RE: D'Alberts. The main issue is that they are pretty sensitive to humidity. They have a range they tolerate, and much above or below it causes problems. They also tend to be flighty and nervous, even as long term captives (though you can usually get them out of the habit of biting).

Old 04-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
Skunky
Thanks for the info Harald..certainly something to bare in mind for next purchase!!

Old 04-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
Junkyard
This is an great question Harald(look, I finally figured out I have been spelling your name wrong, sorry).

Purple Albino Retic-Wow!
Lavender Albino Ball Python-when I first saw one I spent the next 5 minutes drying off my keyboard from drool.
Jaguar Carpet Python-These are very impressive pythons, the reverse JCP colors are outstanding.

These three are really high on our list, they are phenomenal snakes. I am sure there will be other pythons in our collection, though these are on our want list.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:44 PM   #9
hhmoore
I'm surprised I forgot to put the jaguars on my list...they're there.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:57 PM   #10
Clay Davenport
A definate for me within the next 5 years are blackheads.
I'm also looking to aquire a pair of ultimate screamer jungle carpets. My plan there is to purchase an entire clutch from a friend of mine and raise them all for 18-24 months then make my picks.
A few various ball morphs are in the future as well, some I'll produce for myself and others I'll have to buy or trade for.
One day I'll have some angolans and boelen's too, they're both on my list, but the blackheads have had the number one position for many years.

I have little to no interest in the giant snakes. A dwarf lavendar albino retic would be cool, but I just don't want anything myself that gets over ten feet. They're just too hard to move and handle alone besides the caging requirements.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!