Caging options with Gator and Nile croc - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Crocodilian Discussion Forum

Notices

Crocodilian Discussion Forum This section is for discussions pertaining to any and all topics concerning crocodilians.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
ilikenilecrocs
Caging options with Gator and Nile croc

Im getting a baby Nile croc here soon and I have a 3ft Male gator that is in a 300gal stock tank and I was going to put the baby nile in a 180 till he gets big enough to protect himself from my gator in the 300. Im pretty sure when my nile gets 2ft he could fend of a 3ft male gator, Niles are wicked! Plus they will both be feed plenty. I need to see if this is a good idea or not. I know i cant keep them in the same cage once they hit sexual maturity but what about beforehand?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
JColt
Not being a smart mouth here but maybe blunt. If you can afford a Nile and Alligator, If you can afford to feed them, Then you can give them both their own space. It doesn't matter which one's bigger, stronger or more violent. They are both ambush predators. If one get's a solid lock on the other one you will have a dead animal and probably an injured one.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
ilikenilecrocs
I can afford both of them a cage of there own I was just wanting to put them together too see if they would make some pretty cool feeding video's of them. I have a few k's that im not using which is going towards them so i can build them some pretty cool enclosure's. I was going to keep them together until about 4ft and then they have 2 625 gallon ponds with land built around them which will last them until about 6 1/2ft. Then I will dig them ponds and put fencing around them and they will have a adult sized enclosure.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
hadenglock
I personally would not keep them together at all imo. they come from two different parts of the world, therefore they are only immune to diseases native to their homelands. If your gator or nile would contract a disease from one or the other, the results could be bad. Plus you never can tell how one animal will react when another comes into its territory regardless of sexual maturity. If it were me i would just build another setup for the nile instead.