Any green thumbers out there? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
j_dunlavy
Any green thumbers out there?

For years I have been gardening and fully enjoy it.
How many of you all are green in the thumb?
What are you all growing this year?

I just built some raised beds (to keep the tortoises out of the veggies when they are at large) and have started all kinds of good stuff: the typical onions, carrots, beans, tomatoes, cilantro, cucumbers and some basic peppers like jalapeno, habanero, serano, and relleno. I also have a few unusual things going like bittermelon (my wife and her parents like these), kabocha, shishito peppers (better than bells) and a couple ridiculously hot peppers (for fun) like bhut jolokia and Carolina Reapers. I planted some fruit trees as well.
I have also been growing all kinds of strange/rare cacti and succulents for many years. Lots of Euphorbia, but more varieties of other stuff than I can name off the top of my head.
Once the seedlings have been moved outdoors, I plan to post some pics; raised gardens and cacti/succulents.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Lucille
I have a small garden, in front I grow wildflowers, day lilies, roses. In the back I have some small raised beds and containers, I am growing tomatoes, blackberries,cucumbers,peppers, chard, eggplant, onions, squash, beans and some newly purchased dwarf citrus.
Later in the spring I'll grow a few melons, butternut squash, and sweet potatoes.
I envy you your Reapers, I wanted to grow some but could not find true seed.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
j_dunlavy
I got my exotic pepper seeds from a place called "Hell Hot Peppers"
I will know in a couple months if the seeds are true but this company seems to be totally legit. They advertise that they grow them all themselves and test germination rates. So far only 2 seeds of the 50 or so I planted have yet to germinate but peppers normally take a while. I have been germinating them in an empty space in my snake rack... it has the perfect temp for germinating long season peppers.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
deedeeiam
I have a small garden that traditionally produces a lot of food. I made raised herb garden out of an old filing cabinet.

One perimeter of my property line has all the thorns, hot peppers, and pokey plants I could find. But still...nothing keeps the children away. People really need to leash their kids.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
j_dunlavy
I harvested a couple peppers the other day...
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
Helenthereef

Old 09-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
WebSlave
Wow! Looks like you had a good year.

Here's a few pics of one of Connie's garden areas out behind the garage.

Those tall tree like things are tomato plants. She also is growing sweet peppers and tried to get some bean vines going.

This was a pretty bad year for caterpillars and grasshoppers. She won't use pesticides so it's all manual labor finding the bugs to kill them. Many of the smaller pests went to feeding the venus fly traps I've been playing with.

I don't think she's planning on doing too much next year as this year pretty much wore her out with the gardening stuff. Each time we went away for a few days the bugs took full advantage of that. It's pretty unbelievable how huge hornworms will get in just a couple of days. A couple of them will completely destroy a tomato plant.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #8
Shadera
Random stream of consciousness here ...
I've been doing a lot this year to keep me busy and sane while Shawn is across the country for medical stuff.

I'm deep into adding a permaculture food forest to the property. I'm tired of mowing all this yard. I added a 10' electrical deer fence because any other efforts I've made to grow things result in them being immediately and completely eaten.
(anyone want to come bowhunt whitetails in Montana?)
I'm also working on a permaculture design course.

This year I've added several varieties of peaches, apples, pears, honeyberries, elderberries, cold hardy kiwis and a couple beds of herbs - one for medicinals and one for culinary.
I've done a lot of sheet mulching to help with soil fertility. Every time I clean out the chicken coop and run I have enough to do a 8'x8' area so I do so.
Right now I've got a couple hundred pounds of mangel beets ready to put up for the winter for the livestock, and I also grew some of the three sisters trinity in there. I'm throwing a seed mix that includes vetch, plantain, clovers etc everywhere too. Comfrey under the trees for chop and drop fertilizer/mulch.

Misc veggies in raised beds, turned the old decorative pond into a strawberry patch, and I planted a dozen bayberry bushes down by the hot tub for privacy and berries for candle wax.

Planted some bamboo along the deck, for privacy and shade. I also like eating the new shoots and look forward to having bamboo to use around the homestead for all sorts of things. I planted three dozen small potted misc spruce trees around the yard as well. There was only one lone hawthorn here when we bought the place, now we have lots of trees! Dug about 50' of new ditch to irrigate them all, and installed simple drip irrigation systems using water barrels for the rest.

Several swales along contour lines for water catchment and to nurture future trees there. We received only 6" of rain so far this year, and I need to keep every drop on the property for as long as I can. I'm also getting better at using the ditches and flood irrigation. Got two big gun sprinklers with some big gas pumps to power them to get what gravity will not. Everything is nice and green this year, and my pond is topped off and has a nice mat of duckweed going. (FREE high protein critter feed!)

Right now I have blue spruce and huckleberry seeds stratifying in the fridge.

Next year I'm adding fruit and nut trees, along with a lot more berries. Mulberries, pawpaws, figs - lots of stuff. Chestnuts and acorns for animal feed, as well as 1/2 acre in grains. I'll be adding on to the understories of the orchard with more berries and other plants. Lots of blooms to attract pollinators and keep predator insects hanging around. I hope to be able to set up my beehives as well.

Lots of reading and lots of research. I look forward to winter when I have the time to think and plan without having to skip out on work that needs to be done. The book "Restoration Agriculture" has been my bible this year.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
Robert Walker
I just came across this today and thought, seriously? I'm not the only green thumb out there, cool! Perhaps the same interest we have in raising baby animals to adults carries over to raising/growing plants. I actually really enjoy growing plants and feeling a form of success as they mature and produce flowers/food.

I have been working with banana plants this year here in cold Nebraska.

Cool thread, thanks!

Old 09-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #10
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_dunlavy View Post
I harvested a couple peppers the other day...
Combine your pepper and snake love and make a new morph combo called the: Scoville

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!