Time To Cool Off - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
Junkyard
Time To Cool Off

I have been back on Fauna recently, I know my participation level has drop dramatically. I was upset with the reptile community and I needed to take a step back and remember why I got involve.

I love boa constrictors, ever since I was young I have enjoyed holding reptiles, they fascinate me, I get giddy when holding a baby snake. Where I grew up, snakes were rare, the growing communities has driven them off. So every time I saw one it was like watching National Geographic. There is something about these creatures that get to me. It was during my search to share my hobby that I found Faunaclassifieds, along with a few other forums, but there was something about Fauna that kept bringing me back. Within that first year I met Laura, we exchanged PMs and talked on the phone before meeting at NARBC. Laura introduced me to a whole range of people.

During my time in the industry I have met some of the best people in the world. Laura, Bryon Marcia, Tere, Wes, Jeff Gee, Jim Flaherty, Bobby, Dennis Thomas, Rich, Mike Greathouse, John Schmitt, Dennis Hultman, Syd, Ginger, Cathy, Cheryl, Bob Clark, Pete kahl, Mark O'Shea, and etc. in person. I have made friends that I may never meet like Rick Carew, Harald, Chris, Gib, and etc. I also have become a thorn in the sides of liars, scammers, and thieves.

I have purchased and sold many animals. So why did I need to stand back? I wanted to remember what started it all for me. There was a time when these animals became a business and not a hobby. It was work, not fun. I already work too many hours in the medical field dealing with cancer. I was coming home and dreading having to feed and clean cages.

When I pulled my contact with friends here and being on Fauna, I returned to holding my snakes. I returned to watching my snakes hunt and feed on rodents. I love watching my 9 foot boa stalk and strike at a rat, she will stay still for a long time until the rat twitches and BAM! she nails it. Oh the joy to watch these creatures. They move around with a purpose, they have a reason to move, it is not because they are bored, but they are always going somewhere. Whether it be for food, shelter, or warmth, they have a reason.

So if I am enjoying my animals, why would I then return to Fauna? Good question. I would ask, why are you still here? Does Fauna have a purpose anymore? Are the forums still active? I have not been here so I must ask. What is the purpose of the BOI? Is Fauna the center for arguments or information?

I noticed threads in the Sound Off forum directly attacking members. I thought that is what HELL was for. We have members who were considered upstanding now dragging their knuckles acting like monkeys. According the the theory of evolution, if you believe it, we are no longer monkeys. According to the religious, we are the higher beings. Why are we acting like creatures that cannot reason with each other?

Even more discerning, members who used to never hesitate to contribute to Fauna now have no desire to ever do so again. Some see this place as a joke, recently I have seen a circus.

So what am I going to do about it? I am going to go hold my favorite snake. I am going to take pictures of my animals and I am going to enjoy them. Do I have any recommendation to bring Fauna back to an enjoyable place? I am going to return to the forums and spend more time there then I will on the BOI. This place was designed to bring together our love for reptiles, as such I am going to be sharing my love and knowledge on the discussion forums. This is were I will be, join me if you like.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
hhmoore
I know what you mean, Michael.
Since the closing of the WS moderator program, I have opened threads on the BOI exactly 3 times...and I did so with something akin to the feeling one has as they pass a wreck on the highway - I didn't really want to look, knew I shouldn't...but somehow couldn't help myself. Each of those 3 times, I took the opportunity to think about how I felt about what I had read...and my impression of those whom had posted. I won't waste the space describing those thoughts - let it suffice to say that I likely will not be venturing into that realm again unless I see inquiries about people I have had transactions with (or know personally). Frankly, I haven't even bothered checking out people (I was considering purchasing from) for some time now.
I, too, have been making the effort to focus on the part of the hobby which brings me joy. That includes helping others sort through problems they encounter, as well as sharing pictures & experiences. I do those things in the discussion forums.
See you there.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
Laura Fopiano
Michael, I can't thank you enough for taking our phone call and running with it.

You see folks, i am on of those that Michael is talking about. My want to post but fear of the needless and endless backlash that has become common now on the BOI. Threads get so far off track with members attacking each other, accusing others of being trolls etc., and it has truly lost it's purpose.

While doing some research in looking at some older threads on the BOI something really stood out for me. Back then 2 years and further, mods would lock down threads when the flaming started. Now they are endless and some times tackless and pointless attacks.

While we are trying to out some of the bad guys in the industry, things go terribly wrong and the members turn on each other. This trend has happened before, but quickly stopped. So I ask what is different now? Why is this behavior allowed? it almost reminds me of "survivor fauna" where alliances are made and anyone who dares to state a oppion that differs from the "alliance" is quickly chastised and taunted.

In a thread that is on the BOI right now, Robert Kelly was attacked, called a troll, and accused of being 2 posters. A private message was being answered, that pm was from me. An apology for busting his b....s over a deal that he had made with a vendor that I do not approve of. He had made a post that I agreed with and thought that he should know that if I was still a payed member, I would have given him karma for it. His returning my pm was thanking me for allowing him to have an oppion!

Marcia is a marvelous, fascinating and intelligent woman that was made out to be less than fitting to her part time ministry. I was so outragged by that I was lost for words. Marcia has walked me through some very emotional and trying times in my life, she spent hours on the phone with me, as a minister, as a friend, and as a woman. She asked nothing in return, she just loved me in spite of my own self loathing at that time. She saved my life in many ways that evening and I will be forever greatfull for her in site and wisdom.

The people that I have met in chat in person have touched my life in many ways. Michael Shelton is like a son to me, he and his wife were my first guest's in my new home after my divorce, they held me when I cried, we have laughed, and shared our lives with each other as family does.

Bryon Adzic...I could go on for pages on this special man. We met in chat on this site, a place that we go to every night. I now share his life with him here in Georgia. We but heads on many subjects, get to boa keepers together with different styles of keeping and things can get pretty tense at times. What we found that what has worked for us is co-operation and compromise.

What I miss the most about the fauna of old is the respect that we gave each other. Different opinions were encouraged to add a different layer and or dimension to threads on the BOI, especially if the proof that was offered was iffy or inconclusive. Now it is looked at as something that I don't even recognise as being a team effort.

I don't expect this to be agreed with by all, but please just respect me as a woman and member of this site that would like to see some peace among the members.

Happy Easter fauna.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
Stardust
I totally hear what you both are saying.
Quite frankly I am so sick of the drama and over extension on the BOI, not to mention I just do not have time to weed through everything and simply do not want to expend the time warranted. In talking and meeting people in person I find a lot of what I thought vs what goes on behind the scenes are quite different. Very disappointing.

I do however like fauna. If the need truely arises I skim thru the BOI threads hoping to weed out all I do not want to read and get to the point of it and decide. I do not want to leave Fauna or the people I have met here and with that knowledge and my love for my reptiles with others that feel the same about theirs I find security here. I do take my time off from here, perhaps instead of taking time off I will just frequent the more upbeat forums with people who share the same passion I have for reptiles.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
Ed Clark
Good post Laura, I agree with you all the way!

Old 03-23-2008, 11:47 PM   #6
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Fopiano
In a thread that is on the BOI right now, Robert Kelly was attacked, called a troll...
Laura,

I'm curious what you call it when someone brings up two old threads, one from 2004, solely for the purpose of creating drama. I call it trolling. If no one speaks up when such crap is started then things WILL continue to get worse.

My participation here has also been significantly reduced for a number of reasons. I participated in the Mike Greathouse (another troll) thread and I felt compelled to participate when that piece of crap thread about Chuck was resurrected. It wasn't to defend Chuck, he can speak for himself. It was to speak against that specific behavior. People may or may not like Chuck, but making it personal in that fashion was out of line. I stand by the opinions that I gave in both of those threads.

I honestly doubt that I will be participating in the BOI much in the future either. My plate is full with other, more emotionally rewarding activities both on and off line. But I will still call a troll a troll when I see one.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #7
Junkyard
I was looking around today and noticed people were asking questions about their animals, after three hours, in some cases, still no response. In the past, these people would have had their question answered in a matter of minutes by more than 5 people. Along with in depth info that would be specific to the questioners problem. That is the Fauna I will work to bring back.

Call a troll a troll all you like. Then join us in the discussion forums.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:33 AM   #8
WebSlave
All I can say is good luck to you all figuring out how to make this a better place. Everything I have tried has failed or somehow seemingly made things worse.

I have tried to give everyone all the freedom possible to allow this site to move in the direction that you all apparently wanted it to go. In some instances I had to make decisions that I thought were best in order to allow us to reach the next level. But that reach always seemed to be just beyond my grasp. Perhaps freedom is the problem.

A while back I heard ex president Clinton make this statement:
Quote:
"When we got organized as a country and we wrote a fairly radical Constitution with a radical Bill of Rights, giving a radical amount of individual freedom to Americans, it was assumed that the Americans who had that freedom would use it responsibly.... [However, now] there's a lot of irresponsibility. And so a lot of people say there's too much freedom. When personal freedom's being abused, you have to move to limit it."
I thought he was nuts. A communist in disguise. A president who wanted to trample the US Constitution and all that it stood for.

But now I wonder. Maybe I am just seeing a small sliver of humanity that has made our government the way it is. The reason why our freedoms ARE being curtailed at every turn.

Because we, as a race, just cannot handle true freedom. We cannot stand to allow others to exercise it and when WE have it at our disposal, we turn it into something ugly.

I tried a while back to be the knuckle slapper and crack down on the myriad of abuses that members were slinging left and right, and during that period of time, got threatened with bodily injury, lawsuits, and just general invective MANY times more often than at any other time during the history of this site.

Quite frankly, I just don't have it in me any longer to be "daddy" here and treat everyone like the children they often act as. I thought turning over the power to a larger group of people via the WS Mods program would make a difference. Again, more flak and further abuses from some people given that sort of freedom to make a difference here.

I don't know. Maybe I've just been far too easy on what I allow here. Maybe I hoped given enough freedom for a long enough time, people would come to appreciate this, learn of it's value, and perhaps make the changes within themselves to make sure it doesn't go away. I thought people came to this site for that kind of freedom, and was the reason some stayed. But now I'm not so certain. Almost 47,000 registered members and we can't get more than 900 of them to come back on any given day. So something is CLEARLY wrong.

But I can't see what it is. You can all say "the drama", but what exactly is that and who is doing it? When does a thread switch over from being a heated discussion to just garbage?

I've sometimes heard people say that they wish the BOI would go back to "the way it used to be". But what is that exactly? From what I remember (especially with Ritchie Luna <the Ferret> ) things got pretty damned heated back then too.

I recently banned Wes (again). Some people applauded that move and others were stating in no uncertain terms that I need to bring him back. One person even stated that I needed to apologize to Wes for banning him. In my opinion, the only way I could stop the breaking of the china in the china shop was by removing the bull from within it. But that certainly didn't please everyone.

I could ask for opinions here about exactly what to do to turn things around, but there will be no consensus on what is best to do. Some people will get pissed about the changes, no matter what they are. Some will leave because this site is no longer what they want.

People will tell me I just need to grasp the nettle and yank it out, but every third person will have a different opinion about exactly who or what that nettle is.

So answer me this: Is there ANY site out there that everyon unanimously considers to be perfect in every way? I'm not even certain that I could make any changes that would even please a majority, much less EVERYONE.

So what exactly do I do if there IS no solution? I've tried being heavy handed. I've tried being nearly rule free here. I've tried being involved as much as humanly possible. I have had people tell me to change things or they would leave, and I told them to have a nice trip. Other times I made the changes they asked for, and eventually they left anyway. And recently I've just been nearly completely hands off while the WS and site mods handled everything. People complained about EVERY DAMNED WAY I have tried to run this site.

I'll be honest, every time I go to open this site I think "Aw hell.... here we go....." And I believe a lot of you feel the same exact way.

Crap, I'm just rambling now and ready to start repeating myself. I've got to get to working on my taxes. Plus this is dead center in breeding season for my own animals.

If you all can figure out the perfect solution for this site, then please let me know. Because I honestly don't know what that is, and have just about run out of things to try. The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is to just remove all moderation and just slam the door shut as I walk out the door myself. I really don't think it will help at all, and will probably be much worse, but all of the ideas I thought were "good ones" haven't really been that way.

So who the hell knows?

On to my taxes....

Oh, and I'm not taking the time to proof read this.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 AM   #9
shrap
Rich,

It aint the site. It's the people. Or should I say the amount of people.

It is kinda like that nice small quaint small town that grows up. Once upon a time it was all strawberries and cream. Everyone knew each other by their first name, no one locked their doors at night, people went out of their way to help their neighbors, everyone went to the town functions and shared their lives with one another.

Then the small town grew into a big city. The population grew immensely, including a few that are bad apples who steal and take advantage of the trusting neighbors, so people stop taking the time to get to really get know each other, no one trusts each other anymore because of these things, they start locking their doors, quit helping their neighbors and stopped joining community functions and just do things with those they feel completely safe around.

Who said growing bigger was a good thing?

Old 03-24-2008, 03:55 AM   #10
FunkyRes
There are certain people who are there for almost no other purpose than that of trying to bait others into fights. There are people (like me) who sometimes allow themselves to get egged into those fights, and for my part in the recent drama, I apologize.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!