Indiana Python Bill 1288 (update) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Gudes Animal House
Indiana Python Bill 1288 (update)

Just a quick update on the 1288 Python Bill, I have been in contact with Representative Linda Lawson for about 4 months now. We were discussing how to refine this bill in an effort to make it "make sense" while maintaining a safe environment for our community. These, were of course our main objectives. The goal for Representative Lawson was NOT to necessarily to ban these reptiles but I believe in replicating past, similar bills it certainly appeareed that way. I do believe that she has our community's best interests at heart but she needs a little help from those who understand the animals that are affected and how they can impact our environment. That's why refining this bill was imperative. Having said that, I have some good news for now. I received the following email from Rep. Lawson this morning after requesting another future meeting to discuss how we can move forward with refining the propsed bill. Rep. Lawson - "As you know the bill did not receive a hearing last session . The only way this bill will ever see the light of day is if I resurrect it and that will not happen next year and I have no intentions of doing that..." This is a win for Indiana for now. But I have confidence that if/when this comes back up, we can help the community in a realistic way. Thanks for everyone's help and support!

Old 06-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
drichtermx
This was a good thread to read. Seems legislation lately has been so gloomy...

Old 06-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
Culebra
Please beware Indiana, USARC screwed Ohio, reptiles were NOT part of the exotic ban until Andrew Wyatt came to town now we are to be severely restricted, on Wednesday, June 5, 2012, when the Gov signs the bill to law, all because USARC, LLC came to town..... YES, LLC THEY ARE NOT NON PROFIT ANYMORE! THEY PROFIT FROM ALLEGIDLY DEFENDING OUR RIGHTS TO KEEP REPTILES WHEN THEY ACTUALLY PROFIT FROM OUR DONATIONS TO USARC TO ALLEGIDLY HELP US DEFEND OUR RIGHTS TO KEEP REPTILES. Please stop giving $ to Andrew Wyatt and USARC--- they are no better than H$u$!!!!

Old 06-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Gloryhound
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culebra View Post
Please beware Indiana, USARC screwed Ohio, reptiles were NOT part of the exotic ban until Andrew Wyatt came to town now we are to be severely restricted, on Wednesday, June 5, 2012, when the Gov signs the bill to law, all because USARC, LLC came to town..... YES, LLC THEY ARE NOT NON PROFIT ANYMORE! THEY PROFIT FROM ALLEGIDLY DEFENDING OUR RIGHTS TO KEEP REPTILES WHEN THEY ACTUALLY PROFIT FROM OUR DONATIONS TO USARC TO ALLEGIDLY HELP US DEFEND OUR RIGHTS TO KEEP REPTILES. Please stop giving $ to Andrew Wyatt and USARC--- they are no better than H$u$!!!!
I see that since signing up here all four of your posts have been against USARK. It would not surprise me one bit if you were just an HSUS shill here to try and stop a growing movement that opposes you or to try and divide the reptile nation.

You have yet to even introduce yourself!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Culebra
Thank you David for following my posts but NO WAY am I H$U$, they are the evil that started this whole mess. Just saying when I talked with Andrew, yes face to face, while he was here re: SB 310 he said he fought hard in the stakeholders meetings with the legislators to keep reptiles out of it. Polly Britton, Of OAAO (Ohio Association of Animal Owners), was in every meeting, she told me that at the first meeting reptiles were not even mentioned. Then Andrew came to town for the third meeting and suddenly reptiles are in the bill. Slam me, or whatever you must do but someone should get the truth out.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Culebra
Introducing myself now, I am wife, mother, graduate of Ohio State in marketing, and reptile lover. I own a Burmese, three Ball Pythons, a Brazillian Rainbow Boa and a Jungle Carpet Python. I am a novice at breeding these animals but enjoy them immensely.
My biggest gripe is ANYONE who tries to take my rights or any one else's rights away due to personal fears or agendas.
Yes USARC seems to be all we have right now but it worries me when a formerly non profit goes LLC, officers are no longer listed on the website and all the while the nation is facing stricter and stricter regulations. All evidence points at more harm than good is being done by USARC. How about we watch what happens in Indiana......

Old 06-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Gloryhound
Right here is their list of directors right off the web site: http://usark.org/officers-directors/

In some states including North Carolina a non-profit is allowed to incorporate or register as an LLC also.

Polly Britton or the OAAO made it very clear that she was very upset in the fact that Andrew was there to fight for the reptile keepers rights that he represents and not large cats and other mammals.

If you look back USARK was formed because reptile keepers all over the United States were under attack by our Federal Government through the lacy act based on an agenda pushed by HSUS.

Need to do a little research on an organization before making accusations.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Gudes Animal House
The reason I posted this thread was simply to give a bit of good news to the community. Unfortunately, we can go on and on about organization's alleged lack of contribution or agendas. That is not the goal here. The goal is to show the community there are other, realistic and effective ways to help politicians come up with a more suitable outcome that meets the same goals of the people. What I'm seeing in the previous posts are not value added for the people who are looking for solutions. This appears to be a global epidemic and the decisions are made by those who are ignorant to many aspects beyond the culture perception, but understanding their goal in many cases is to make us safe. It's our job to HELP them do that...not scream about what "rights" they are taking away. This is a combative attitude that they feel needs defended. This is, in my opinion, can be ineffective. Sometimes, it's not about being on the opposite side of the war line, but understanding the needs and desires of the politicians, and helping them achieve this realistically. The common goal is something we ALL want. Use that as an opportunity.
I'm no expert in anything. I'm no politician, nor did I typically post or get involved. However, I tend to be an optimist...and I don't worry about hidden agendas or the likes. These result in infinite arguing and bickering and are often unproven. Let's work on what WE CAN do. How we can educate the younger generation so that when they are the ones making decisions, they have a better, educated understanding of reptiles and aren't apt to make the same mistakes those in office are making now. I apologize for the length and bit of preaching, I just don't want to turn this thread into a breeding ground for negativity. We don't need it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
indiana bill 1288, python ban