S373 Amended Today to 9 Large snakes from list - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #21
wiredonline
Ok, I know you probably think I've been living under a rock... and indeed I have, thanks for the article link!

Old 12-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #22
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredonline View Post
Wait... and pardon my ignorance, I just started reading up on this controversial bill. My questions:

1) Isn't PETA on our side?

AND

2) Which species are included in this bill IF it passes?

I'm very concerned, as most.
My guess is that you're one of those unfortunate people that peta and the hsus have had snowed for years, making you think that they actually care for animals. Both those organizations are nothing but political fronts, who would rather see animals dead than having to suffer the injustice of being pets. They are very much not on our side.

http://www.usark.org/
I suggest that website for information regarding the legislation.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #23
retic88
Call me a sick bastard but i would skin one of them peta members before i would even think about harming my burms. they are like my kids and i will fight for my kids. should i start sharpning my knife now????

Old 12-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #24
SPJ
HSUS press release.

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/pr...el_121009.html

December 10, 2009
Senate Panel Approves Large Constrictor Snake Trade Ban

The Humane Society of the United States and the Humane Society Legislative Fund applaud the U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works Committee for approving S. 373, a bill to add certain constrictor snakes to the list of injurious species that cannot be imported or moved in interstate commerce as pets. The committee amended the bill to cover nine species of large constrictor snakes identified by the U.S. Geological Survey as posing high or medium risk to the environment. The amendment was supported by Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, Sen. Bill Nelson and The HSUS. The bill now moves to the full Senate for consideration.

"The Humane Society of the United States is grateful to lawmakers and Interior Department officials for working to prohibit the trade in all nine species of large constrictor snakes, getting ahead of this problem and not facing the next new fad in the exotic pet trade," said Michael Markarian, chief operating officer for The HSUS. "Congress must swiftly pass this important bill to prevent further threats to public safety, animal welfare and our natural resources."

The HSUS and HSLF express their thanks to bill sponsor Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., Committee Chair Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., and Subcommittee Chair Ben Cardin, D-Md., for their leadership on this measure.

"As stewards of our country's vast public lands and natural resources, we have to deal with the threats posed by invasive species," Sen. Nelson said, adding that more still needs to be done to better regulate all kinds of foreign plants and animals coming into the United States.

If large constrictor snakes escape or are released outdoors, they can multiply rapidly and prey on native wildlife, depleting vulnerable species. Burmese pythons are already widely established in the Everglades, making it difficult if not impossible to remove them, and boa constrictors and Northern African pythons have been found in a smaller area of Florida. Action is needed now to prevent these snakes from spreading further and to prevent other species from becoming established. If only a few species are included, the trade will simply shift from one giant snake to another.

Facts

* A 2-year-old Florida girl killed by a python this year was the fourth person killed by a pet python in the United States since 2006. The others were adults with experience handling reptiles, two of them killed by reticulated pythons.
* S. 373 targets the exotic pet trade. These snakes could still be imported and moved in interstate commerce for zoological, educational, medical and scientific purposes with a permit.
* The bill would not affect possession or sales within a state. People would keep and retain responsibility for existing animals.
* The nine species included in the amended bill are: Burmese/Indian pythons, Northern African pythons, Southern African pythons, reticulated pythons, boa constrictors and four species of anacondas.
* Related legislation (H.R. 2811) was approved by the House Judiciary Committee, which held a hearing on Nov. 6 where HSUS testified in support of the bill and urged an amendment to cover nine species.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #25
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Facts

* A 2-year-old Florida girl killed by a python this year was the fourth person killed by a pet python in the United States since 2006. The others were adults with experience handling reptiles, two of them killed by reticulated pythons.
Four people killed in 3-4 years. This is one of their arguments. How many people have cigarettes killed in that time frame. How about automobiles. Heck, more people have probably drowned in a bowl of soup at a restaurant. It's very convenient that they fail to mention what a scumbag of a dad that poor little girl had. I can't be the only one who wonders if the snake really did it, or if it was just a convenient scapegoat.

Anything to further an agenda, I guess. I will continue to fight with every resource I have available to me. Even if ball pythons are not on the final list.

I've got a draft working to go to my Senator. I urge everyone to do the same.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #26
SakaraGT4
I wonder if we can personally visit our reps?

Old 12-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #27
Kevin Switzer
Can someone clarify something for me. They stated that they amended 9 large species to the bill. Now is this just Included with the entire python species or is this limited to these 9 species?
Thanks
Kevin

Old 12-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #28
wiredonline
Ok, one of the articles I read mentioned Southern African Pythons and Northern African Pythons but no specific species... is this just a vague description or is there a more descriptive list of the species amended? Does anyone know?

Old 12-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #29
repti-racks
s373

Here is the list i found of the 9 added

Indian or Burmese python (Python molurus)
Northern African python (Python sebae)
Southern African python (Python natalensis)
Reticulated python (Python [or Broghammerus] reticulatus)
Boa constrictor (Boa constrictor)
Green anaconda (Eunectes murinus)
Yellow anaconda (Eunectes notaeus)
Beni or Bolivian anaconda (Eunectes beniensis)
De Schauensee's anaconda (Eunectes deschauenseei)

Old 12-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #30
repti-racks
s373

My understanding the bill as written for all pythons but was amended today to only those 9 species we listed above

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!