animal planet - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:01 AM   #11
NewPort Reptiles
I sure do Miss the days when Mr Steve Irwin was on Animal Planet

Old 03-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
gsrept
not to get on the irwin trashing band wagon. but i give him credit for his knowledge and enthusiasim for all reptiles and animals in general. i do not agree in the way he went about it. not a help to the reptile industry or animal conservation for that matter and his carelessness is what cost him his life. I honestly think even though we as hobbyists have come so far there are still to many people out there that make impulse buys and i partialy blame the pet stores for selling people certian animals that beginers should not have. not only snaes but this includes a lot of chameleons and large lizards as well.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
R. Eventide
Couldn't agree more, Craig. I firmly believe that pet stores should not be allowed to sell certain reptiles because people who truly know what they're getting into will probably be buying from a breeder anyway (or, at the very least, they wouldn't have a problem with having to buy from a breeder). ProExotics has some great explanations as to why they don't sell certain reptiles: http://www.proexotics.com/FAQ2.html#17, http://www.proexotics.com/FAQ2.html#18.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #14
gsrept
chad brown has always been an outstanding breeder in te industry have not had a chance to buy anything from him but i am considering getting a pair of boleons pythons he has a nice captive group and has babies availible sometimes. great guy and breeder. any who i think the pet stores should have to at least produce some type of record of what they sell and to who they sold it and maybe there should be some type of test for people wanting to buy larger constrictors.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #15
boaman83
im at a loss of words when i seen those shows on animal planet.And the "experts" on there and no reptile lover would agree on any of the "facts" on the show and the so called traping look liked 3 year olds chasing snakes maybe if they took a calm and gently form of obtaining a berm it wouldnt act so pissed off .And python hunting in florida they said their cleared for rifle use come on this is not ice cube and jennifer lopez in "anaconda" its not that serious and why dont they try adoption outside of florida for these animals to responsible owners like us on here i mean i now its about the money with small adoption they could still get paid since thats what their after with the hunting permits in the first place.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #16
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyExotics View Post
I wouldnt be surprised if Animal Planet is just another front for all of the anti-animal groups in the world. Its propaganda in a nutshell. I know there are tons of Steve Irwin fans out so I hold all statements regarding him but, he was probably the most irresponsible reptile enthusiast out there. If I want to watch animals shows, I will watch National Geographic, and the old 70s shows at that. Those REALLY taught us what animals were like in their natural habitat.
You might want to rethink that statement. I saw a couple things from Nat Geo that just turned my stomach last night. On the other forum that I am an Admin on I asked for "your fav herp related youtube videos." After watching one that was posted a video from Nat Geo was in the related section. Guess what it was about. Killing snakes. They were clubbing a RTB in what looks like native habitat then beheaded it... and they had another clip where they beat and beheaded a viper that was in a sandy habitat. I had to turn off the computer after that. Nat Geo was just sensationalizing the clubbing and killing of snakes.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
StrictlyExotics
No I am talking about the videos we saw in science class way back when we were in Jr High.. you know those ones Narrated by some old famous guy back when Davey Cricket and Grizzly Adams were famous... LoL

Old 03-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #18
Southern Wolf
Dean... now your just making me feel old. But yeah.. I remember which ones you mean.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #19
StrictlyExotics
I am right there with you bud

Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #20
Serenity
I was a bit disgusted as well. It seems to promote that all reptile keepers are irresponsible and all snakes are huge and poisonous. And what was that "hidden camera" doing at the Hamm show???? That just portrayed reptile shows as akin to a drug deal! Even my hubby, who is not into snakes, was getting upset! I muttered something about the Humane Society promoting the show and when the commercials came on, guess what one of the ads was for? Hmmmmm.

Devon

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!