animal planet - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #51
R. Eventide
This whole thing reminds me of Global Warming. People spend all of their time arguing about what's causing it, pointing fingers and blaming everyone and their dog for this, that, or the other.

Y'know what? It doesn't matter what caused it. What we need to focus on is trying to fix the problem instead of wasting energy arguing about who's to blame.

The Earth is getting warmer. There are Burmese pythons in Florida. How about we actually do something about it?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:26 PM   #52
Fireside3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptileman81 View Post
I also think it is crazy for people that dont even live in FL to mouth there opinion about something they dont really know anything about. You make it sound like we cant step out of our doors without a wall of pythons waiting to devour us.
I think it's crazy that you pull that sort of opinion of my statements. I didn't make it "sound" like anything, except that it is a big problem, which it is. I do happen to know how bad it is. Knowing someone who found 7 large non-native constrictors in a single day in the Glades tells me all I need to know. I don't know about you. I have been there, and I talk on a daily basis to people who live there, including wildlife rehabbers. People who have no motivation to make crap up. Of course if it's not right outside your door waiting to eat you, you aren't concerned with it and it's just propaganda huh?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 PM   #53
Fireside3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrept View Post
i have a great idea if you do not like what fauna and its members stand for ie: ethical ownership, and breeding of the animals we love. we are all on here trying to learn more about the animals and hobby. so if you can not add constructive critisim or offer an op with out getting heated a and blaming every one for a problem that started back in the 70'S find another forum to bitch. and people eating tasty animals is just another (peta) is just another one of those propaganda group. as for rehabilitators most are part of the problem instead of a solution.
This is constructive criticism for the critical thinking mind, which most of you apparently aren't, so you of course dismiss any dissent which doesn't agree with your view of your hobby. Those getting "heated" seem to be on your side of the opinion, which isn't a surprise.

If you had no problem with "ethical" and responsible ownership, you wouldn't be in disagreement with anything I said.

As for your nonsensical statement about rehabilitators...make a point to back up your uncredentialed drive by claim, or admit your just a troll looking to escalate the situation because you have no point.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #54
Fireside3
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Eventide View Post
If I and a couple of my friends always walked out into traffic without looking and never got hit, does that mean it's a good idea?
There is risk crossing a street if you do look, and in herping in general, as well as handling firearms. Some people aren't comfortable around guns, but that has no bearing on my capabilities. You do what you wish.

I think 25 years not being fang tagged says enough that this is more than blind dumb ass luck, like your ridiculous comparison suggests. But I don't expect you to follow that logic.

Quote:
Just because you and Mr. Irwin have been doing it forever doesn't mean it's "good practice." Ask any herpetologist--yes, I mean that. (And I don't mean people who call themselves herpetologists; I mean people with degrees in this stuff and with extensive experience with hots.)
I am a non-academic herpetologist and proud to separate myself from career academics who spend more time at university reading about it, than in the field. A "herpetologist" is someone who studies reptiles. A degree is not required to do that. Just critical thinking skills, good observational skills, and higher than average intelligence, which I don't see is too common from some of you. I study reptile as a rehabber and conservationist. I have written material actually used by academics and zoos, and am a member of several national organizations.

Your statement tells me enough about your understanding of field studies and the difference between an "academic" and someone who really knows what they are doing. Professional academic herpetologists are frequently out of touch and merely looking to get something published. They spend maybe 1% of their time in the field.

I don't ask an academic herpetologist very much, because when I have talked to them about display behaviors and such in the field, it goes over their head. They have a way with publishing on the obvious. If you had any field experience or experience with academia you would know that.

I have 25 years with hots.

Quote:
And how, pray tell, does one learn to do this without "skill and experience"? In other words, how does one get experience? By tailing hots! So...tell me who, of those who tail hots, immediately had enough experience doing it so that it was not reckless?
Obvious then you have little no experience in this arena. A good way to start mister...is to be given a rowdy and bitey Colubrid to handle for some time and avoid being bitten by that...then work your way up after you demonstrate some skill. Take a few classes and get back to me.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:45 AM   #55
Reptileman81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireside3 View Post
I think it's crazy that you pull that sort of opinion of my statements. I didn't make it "sound" like anything, except that it is a big problem, which it is. I do happen to know how bad it is. Knowing someone who found 7 large non-native constrictors in a single day in the Glades tells me all I need to know. I don't know about you. I have been there, and I talk on a daily basis to people who live there, including wildlife rehabbers. People who have no motivation to make crap up. Of course if it's not right outside your door waiting to eat you, you aren't concerned with it and it's just propaganda huh?
So didnt your last message say that you know someone that found 6 in one day. Is it 6 or 7??? I think you are talking out of the brown eye man. So you talk to some people on the phone and know some people. Big deal. I know lots of people and talk on the phone all day. Does that mean I know everything that is going on in every city of every state of this nation??? Hell no I dont!!! I think all you know is the propaganda you are reading and watching and that is it.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:08 AM   #56
Reptileman81
R. Eventide

I am really starting to like you man. You and me should hang out sometime. Man that is some good ripping. Tar him apart man.

Let me ask you this Fireside3

Did you even read that article that I posted the link to. After all it is a interview with Tom Crutchfield. He is only one of the biggest names around in hots and not. He even lives just mins from all the action in the glades. He even had permission before anyone else to go up in the glades to inspect trap and kill any large constrictors he found. You should really read the article. Then maybe you might say oh sh*& I am a idiot for trusting and believing in my government. What am I thinking you will never do that. You just site there and suck on the teat of the government and just suck up everything they say. Cause they are never wrong. They would never steer you wrong. They most certainly would never lie to you.

Yes there are burms in the glades thriving. Did you know there are Anacondas down there thriving just the same. As well as around 50 other none native species of insects birds mammals and reptiles. Yes most of the problem came from all the importing done down in miami and fort Lauderdale. Yes there are people that let loose something that they just dont know how to deal with anymore all over the world people do this with all sorts of animals. Look out your window man!!! I bet you will see some stray cats or dogs some where. Will we ever get rid of them? NO!!! Just as same as the pythons. Can they go in there and kill kill kill. Sure they can and in the process who knows how many other animals and plant life they kill. In once again as I said a protected wet lands. Now I thought no no no I am pretty sure that no hunting is allowed in a protected anything. But they are. They will never find them all. Next year more will hatch out I guaranty you that.

They are here to stay deal with it. They will not make it out of the glades believe me on this. So what if they are killing off a endangered rodent down there. ITS A RODENT!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 05:14 AM   #57
Reptileman81
Wait you know what maybe we can get rid of the stray cat and dog problem. The pythons can do our dirty work for us lol. Just wanted to add some humor to this thread.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #58
Abby
Fireside3 - I think you should read this very good article written by Dave and Tracy Barker over at VPI. The python problem in Florida is not due to irresponsible pet owners releasing animals into the wild, but a natural disaster, a hurricane. There is not one recorded case of someone being caught releasing snakes into the wild in Florida. Know why? Because people spent money on the animals and are far too greedy not to try to sell them when they get tired of them.

http://www.vpi.com/sites/vpi.com/fil...compressed.pdf

Old 04-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #59
Abby
Oh, and on the topic of them killing of the endangered rodents - myth. They found a few, maybe just one of those rats in the belly of a snake. The true cause of the death of those rats are feral cat populations, spawned by none other than irresponsible cat owners. I love my cats, but I believe every one of them should be spayed and neutered and kept indoors unless you're a licensed, serious breeder.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #60
gsrept
hey mick do not talk about what you do not know first of all i am a lisensed rehabber in the state of nh i am also a master falconer and a reptile lover the only one i see on the defense and getting heated here is you. what do you rehab stray cats and dogs most of my rehab experience deals with raccoons,fox, deer,grey and red squirels as well as nonnative exotics, my raptors are redtails which infact were released last season back into the wild with telemetry to track and be able to study the population in the state. so i do not know what you do in Texass but stop blaming the reptile hobbyists for the problem in florida, i am not saying there are a few bad apples that would release into the wild. but what about your other problems down there like overrun with chickens, stray dogs , cats these are not native species lets ban all the dog and cat breeds in fl. or is that going to far because there a pet. they also make inpacts on the enviroment lets ban oil drilling o yea obama just gave a open season on oil drilling that is more of a enviromental problem. any who good luck with your rehabilitation of dogs and cats.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!