Are you afraid to buy high end snakes due to potential legislation? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

View Poll Results: Are you afraid to invest in snakes due to potential legislation?
Absolutely 10 10.31%
Somewhat 38 39.18%
Not at all 38 39.18%
Its the economy 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
bear
Are you afraid to buy high end snakes due to potential legislation?

I have read articles and heard many view points on this and I am curious to get some numbers here on exactly how many people are not investing in high end snakes due to possible legislation. Let me know what you think!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I have read articles and heard many view points on this and I am curious to get some numbers here on exactly how many people are not investing in high end snakes due to possible legislation. Let me know what you think!
High end snakes that are on the banned list, or any species of High end snakes?

Old 04-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
brd7666
There are those people out there who are not buying because of the current legislation that is in the works. Some snake species are being hit harder then others, especially if they are on the list to be banned.

The economy is killing everything. I sell to a few pet stores and they haven't had good sales in a while. Most people are buying food and maintanence products for the current animals that they have, but are not buying more animals.

Some of the low morph prices are a result of both of these factors. People want to sell their animals now, and don't have the patience to sit on them so they get into price wars, as who can sell the cheapest. This results in the market crashing and it will crash even more in 2010. Boas have been taking a beating, and Balls have been dropping also, but not like the boa prices.

Hopefully things will get better soon. The bad part is that when people sell cheap because of the economy or whatever, the prices don't usually go back up when things get better. Right now, all we can do is hope for the best.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
bear
Deborah, both on the list or off. I have heard of people scared to buy small constrictors, in fear they will be added to the list.

I appreciate your comment Brian, good input. thanks

Old 04-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Deborah, both on the list or off. I have heard of people scared to buy small constrictors, in fear they will be added to the list.

I appreciate your comment Brian, good input. thanks
Then Brian did a good summary of the constrictor's market climate; However, I haven't noticed any "price wars." People that tend to price high, continue to do that, and people that just want to breed and who also have another avenue of revenue continue to price their product to sell.

People that tend to overbreed (produce too much) do tend to drop prices later because they can't afford to feed so many mouths if they don't sell immediately..that does have some affect on prices...but

I haven't noticed anyone (in my small world) being afraid to purchase constrictors. They may not want to spend BIG BUCKS on them because of the market/prices..but afraid from the banning..that's not the sense I get from the majority of people.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
bear
I personally am the type to not give in to things like this. I have been taking advantage of the buyers market right now and building an impressive boa collection. I will not stop breeding and keeping them regardless of the legislation, and honestly the more of us with this attitude the harder/more costly it will be to enforce and the more likely it will be overturned (remember the prohibition), especially when they realize the crippling economic effects.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
bear
Debroh, i felt the same way you do, that most people arent scared of the legislation. Thats why i started this poll, i kept hearing the market was bad due to legislation but i didnt believe it... Man IM SHOCKED at our poll up there we have so far about 35% of people limiting purchases due to legislation.

I know this is only the first day of the poll but it seems that some people are scared to buy. I'd like to hear some comments from those people. And dont be afraid to comment no one here is going to yell at you or say your wrong for your choices (i hope) lol.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
Shadera
Nope, hasn't affected my purchasing at all.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Twizted Paths
The proposed legislation has definitely affected not only my buying habits, but the time line for the way I intended to build my collection as well.

I weigh every single boa I want up against the possible worst outcome of it. Most come up short.

I will be leaving this state, I will be taking my snakes with me. Boas & all, regardless of the outcome. Any boa I buy now has to awesome enough for me to break federal law for.

There are also boas I've went all out for ahead of schedule just in case it passes and I can't get my hands on them in the future.

And I'm really really tempted to grab a retic now instead of waiting, even though I know I should wait.

In regard to species not yet on the list, that also affected my planned purchases.

I bought some Carpets ahead of schedule. Just in case, since I figure they'd be one of the next easy targets if this passes or is tried again.

It managed to even out to me spending about the same amount of money I normally would, just a lot more carefully & in a slightly different direction.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Reptileman81
I voted that its the economy!!! But also feel kinda scared about new laws affecting my love and passion for these beautiful animals.

A) With the economy down (but I think it is bouncing back just very slowly) I buy a few hundred or thousand dollar snake and by the time I breed it the babies are worth fractions less.

B) If the new laws come to pass and hold it will only be a matter of time before they come after all reptile keepers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!