Military housing bans exotics - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #31
Sariel
Quote:
Originally Posted by HecticLifeReptiles View Post
well I see your point, but I also get where the army is coming from. Ft hood found a 11ft rattler in someones on-post housing...we all own our snakes as responsibly as we can, but escapes do happen from time to time and that can be dangerous. I personally own 2 rescued BCI's, one was a soldier that deployed n dumped the snake on his mom, who had no idea what she was doing, the other was a soldier who decided to buy a baby BCI for his 4 year old son and my husband and I were told the snake was "very dangerous and not handleable, that it had bit the 4 year old, upon arriving to pick up the snake the 4 yr old was running around the house with it in front of the parents...they wondered why the snake bit the kid. I'm not saying military members should NEVER own snakes, but I think it better they live off post to do so and adhere to state and local laws, just like the rest of us do. the fact is many soldiers were keeping snakes that are banned in the state, that require permits that the soldiers did not have or were owning snakes that are very dangerous to the community. if a soldier wants to own a snake and upkeep it, I think it best the soldier does so off post and in the proper manner. base housing includes Barracks, where people were keeping snakes in closets, lockboxes and the such, without proper heating and proper care. these are the reasons my husband and I live off post and we get calls from the on base shelter every now and then about snakes they found in a barrack inspection that needs a new home. it's sad that soldiers can't simply follow the rules set upon them. even the dog bans don't work as effectively as you might think. pope still own pits n rotts on post, they just call them something else, like a lab or some crap. where I live off post I paid $280 to own my snakes and I was thinking of Doug a fish tank, but per my rental agreement I would have to pay another $280...that's for a tank of fish!!!

We might have to agree to disagree on this.
People who are just naturally irresponcable are going to be so with everything in their life. Its not ok, in my mind, to treat every one else like children and take the toys away from -everyone- because a few people cannot follow the rules.
As I state in earlier posts, I understand some restrictions, I understand why larger snakes should be restricted from close communities like apartments or military houseing, especialy hots. However, banning colubrids, ball pythons, guinea pigs?
I've been living on military housing since I was born, Ive never once encountered someones loose or abondond exotic. I have been bit by cats, had someones dogs kill my cat <in my own yard>, had my car and property vadalized, been stolen from, and pretty much anything you can relate to living that closely with other people on or off base. Its part of having neighbors.
Because the occasional burm is abondoned or someone else is illegaly owning an animal <which they will do reguardless of if they are banned from base, if theyre willing to do it when its banned from the state> should NOT mean that someone else can't have a guinea pig or a ball python. Its not that hard to put a few limitations rather than just overall blanket ban -everything-.

./endlongwindedrant

Old 07-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #32
HecticLifeReptiles
yeah I totally agree. I'm a fan of pits n mastiffs too and hate the breed banning. it's really no different, but I do get it. as stupid as it is. Fact is it's really not stopping many, trust me there! There are plenty of soldiers
from my hubby's E5 right on up to one of his Warrants, own snakes, when they blanket banned, they just simply moved off post. Personally, I lobe the freedom off post to own what I please and not have the army keeping tabs on it....that'd be similar to the FDA having control over our snakes, no thanks!!! lol. Best advice I can give to any soldiers owning snakes is 1) move off post or 2) find a friend that isn't afraid of snakes and see if you can house your snakes there. As for Guinea pigs, those are still allowed here at Ft. Hood, last I checked...when did rodents fall into blanket ban at your base?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #33
Focal
http://www.fox43tv.com/dpps/military...ousing_3764310

HAHAHA!! Watch the video about the escaped "boa constrictor." What idiots!

Old 07-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #34
Sariel
Quote:
Originally Posted by HecticLifeReptiles View Post
yeah I totally agree. I'm a fan of pits n mastiffs too and hate the breed banning. it's really no different, but I do get it. as stupid as it is. Fact is it's really not stopping many, trust me there! There are plenty of soldiers
from my hubby's E5 right on up to one of his Warrants, own snakes, when they blanket banned, they just simply moved off post. Personally, I lobe the freedom off post to own what I please and not have the army keeping tabs on it....that'd be similar to the FDA having control over our snakes, no thanks!!! lol. Best advice I can give to any soldiers owning snakes is 1) move off post or 2) find a friend that isn't afraid of snakes and see if you can house your snakes there. As for Guinea pigs, those are still allowed here at Ft. Hood, last I checked...when did rodents fall into blanket ban at your base?
Im not sure how old the ban is, You might want to re-check your rule actualy, cause from my understanding theyre changing these rules to most if not all bases.
The wording at the one near me <I actualy live off base, its just irritating>;
Exotic pets, snakes, spiders, mice (hamsters, gerbils, etc.) turtles, rabbits and fish tanks over fine (5) gallons are not permitted. If you have questions, please call the Management Office for clarification.

I've heard from friends scattered about the country that theyre housing rules reguarding pets are being changed to be pretty simular as well.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #35
HecticLifeReptiles
huh, crazy...maybe they'll start banning dogs and cats too as well as birds as they are all nuisances on post too. the barking, cat poop in your yard dog poo on the sidewalk...never ceases to amaze me that the army works harder n definantly not smarter!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #36
BR289
Wow! Is that a new strain of Boa that morphs into a Royal ( Ball ) python? Cool!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!