Ohio Falls - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbm6 View Post
Why are other reptile owners of corn snakes or leopard geckos so quick to agree to permits? because it won't effect them not today anyhow.
You cannot lump all of these people into the same category.
Although I have various other species of snakes (plus other reptiles), and do not own Burms, Retics, etc., (IOW "huge" snakes), I do not agree with this bill and have voiced/written my opposition.
Am sure that I am not the only one who feels this way.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #22
salottimc
I do not own these animals listed but disagree with the legislation 100%. Give an inch and they will take a mile. Give them a dollar and they will be back to rob you blind.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
middyman717
But the terry thing opened a can of worms every Hate group and tree Hugger !will have there foot in the door and voice why every owner with exotics need permits ! or dont need exotic pets in ohio !and zoos will sit back and do nothing but where do you think all there surplus ends up people like you and me buy it or they kill it or they stop breeding 2 years ago arizona sent 200 merns quail breeders to a zoo in maryland i asked them what they were doing with the eggs and they said they were feeding them to the snakes and there on the endangered species list!

Old 05-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
Ed Clark
A conspiracy theory...its the matrix all over again.

Somehow we need to educate our legislators about reptiles and be more vocal letting them know we are not ok with their votes against keeping herps.we need to let them know how many keep herps as the number of people keeping them is large.

Quote:
as for Terry Thompson there is much more to the story. ever wonder why a person with keys to cages would cut fencing and locks off of cages to let them go, instead of opening them with the keys, them commit suicide?

animals which he loved and cared for for years.
a lot of things don't add up unless you want to pass a law.

If the law required the same of dog owners ,which have caused far more injuries to humans in Ohio, as they do for snake owners, this bill would have failed and if passed every legislator would have been voted out of office.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #25
mbm6
Several reptile keeper from Ohio testified before the committee stating that the reptile community needs legislation and permits even USARK spoke in favor of some of the regulation. WHY? The reptile industry should be against all legislation pertaining to the keeping of reptiles in captivety.

As I said before lump dogs and cats into this legislation with the fees, permits, insurance requirements, PIT Tags and see how fast these legislators are looking for honest work.

"Polititions are like diapers both should be changed frequently" Mark Twain

Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
Gloryhound
Ultimately it is an election year and politicians are looking for the low hanging fruit that will win them more votes than it costs them. Or get them more campaign cash than their challengers.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #27
natsamjosh
Quote:
Several reptile keeper from Ohio testified before the committee stating that the reptile community needs legislation and permits even USARK spoke in favor of some of the regulation. WHY? The reptile industry should be against all legislation pertaining to the keeping of reptiles in captivety.

Why? That's a great question. It just doesn't make sense, at least to me, on the one hand to (correctly) argue against laws and regulations based on:
1) the fact the the science behind the laws is complete garbage, and
2) that the danger to the public is virtually zero

...yet then at the same time support intrusive laws and regulations!!

Logically, that makes no sense. I think many people simply want to compromise out of fear.. the fear of their animals getting put on the list, or the fear of all out bans. The problem is, compromising out of fear, especially with parties who are not acting in good faith, rarely works.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #28
sschind
Quote:

As I said before lump dogs and cats into this legislation with the fees, permits, insurance requirements, PIT Tags and see how fast these legislators are looking for honest work.

"Polititions are like diapers both should be changed frequently" Mark Twain

Part of the problem with this attitude is that it eliminates the opportunity at a compromise. If it's all or nothing, I'm afraid it will end up being nothing more often than not.

This is not pertaining to the Ohio situation so much but to laws and permits in general. Would you rather have the right to keep your animals with permits or not have the right to keep them at all?

Old 05-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #29
natsamjosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
Part of the problem with this attitude is that it eliminates the opportunity at a compromise. If it's all or nothing, I'm afraid it will end up being nothing more often than not.

This is not pertaining to the Ohio situation so much but to laws and permits in general. Would you rather have the right to keep your animals with permits or not have the right to keep them at all?
I understand what you are saying, I just don't agree with it. Compromising solely out of fear is the problem, imo.. *especially* when the party you are compromising with is not acting in good faith. (The entities pushing these laws don't want responsible ownership, they want NO ownership.)

Compromising is not always good or appropriate. For example, say I came up to you and asked you to help me kill someone we didn't like. Would you say no, or would you say, well, killing is too extreme, let's compromise and just break his legs?

My question to you as well as others who agree with you is - why don't you have a problem with a government that comes up with completely ridiculous laws that have no basis in reality, and then bullies its citizens into "compromising" with these intrusive, useless, and laws that only inconvenience responsible owners and do nothing to prevent irresponsible owners??

Old 06-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #30
middyman717
Someone in ohio needs to start a petition ! voicing on here wont change anything

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!