UNKNOWN MORPH (NEED HELP) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
usmckmanning
UNKNOWN MORPH (NEED HELP)

Ok i just picked my by buddie Jimmy's small collection of boas because he is a new job and is forced to move out of the state. But here is the deal He had a breeding pair of boas in 06. Male super hypo X normal breeding. All boas came out hypo. The second year he breed them again all babys are hypo except 1. Its was very strange to see a boa that was not a hypo in the litter because the male is a proven super hypo. But the abnormal boa looks like a anery boa. No hypomalanistic in it or red pigment. Looks like a anery.

If you can help me figure this one out i would love the info. I also would love to breed the father to the abnormal female but he was sold years ago.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
crotalusadamanteus
Could just be the camera I guess, but ain't that pink I see in the face on the first shot?

Can't get pinks without erythrin, and Anerythristic animals don't produce it.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
usmckmanning
Sorry for that but its the flash. No hypo or red on this girl.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
gsrept
definatly looks like pink under the eyes flash will not do that.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
usmckmanning
I will double check. But even if there is some pink it doesn't show any hypo or red.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
ShadowAceD
Looks like a faded normal. I've seen them on occassion. They look aneryish, but they are normal. It's possible that, even as a super, a normal managed to be born. Just because a trait is dominant does not always mean it is going to work exactly how we expect it to.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
Pinks and reds and oranges are all created by the same function.
If there is any pink, red or orange, it's not Anery.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
Matt2979
That pink on the face can be seen in all of the pics, not just the close-up. And there seems to be a hint of pink along the sides, too. Not saying you don't have something there. Just not an anery. Normal or not, you've got a good looking boa!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
mxracer4life
A friend of mine came across this same scenario. He has a proven super hypo that ended up with 1 normal in the litter. Now I don't remember if he told me he bred the super to a normal or another super, but either way he did get 1 normal. He is in the process of raising her up, going to breed her. He mentioned there is a possibility that she can produce hypos, but I don't know how that works.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
JCCS
I'm in agreement with Diem and others. It's an oddball normal but a normal nonetheless. I've also seen a few animals that had a similar look.

Jeremy, as for your friend with the super hypo, was the super hypo the male?
I am betting that it was the male, and that he bred it to a non-superhypo. What happened was probably a partially parthenogenic litter, where the female fertilized her own egg. I would also bet that the normal is a female. I believe this happens more often than anyone knows as it would normally be very hard to detect.

Chris

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!